Feeling down...

Pippity

Visit site
Having one of those days when I REALLY want my own horse. *sigh*

There was a little show about five minutes hack away from the yard, so absolutely everybody ******ed off there. But, for insurance reasons, I'm not allowed to take the RDA ponies off the yard (which I totally understand and have no quarrel with!), let alone compete them, so I was stuck on a deserted yard with ponies yelling for their friends and being grumpy in the school.

And then everybody came clattering back together, hung all over with frillies, and all I had was a new hole in my jods from falling over a wheelbarrow.

Bah, humbug, etc. etc.

(God, it was only a few months ago that I was feeling down about only getting to ride in lessons, and now I can ride pretty much whenever I want to, even if only in the school. I'm such a demanding git.)

hnmisty

Visit site
Just think how much spare money you have though :p

Seriously, I understand. If you had your own insurance, would you be able to take the RDA ponies off the yard? You get personal insurance with BHS gold membership which costs about £5 a month. My mum helps out with an RDA group at home (carriage driving, so their horses have to be able to leave the yard) and they have someone come up at the weekend to look after the ponies who hacks them out.

I don't know your full circumstances, but could you look for something to share/part loan? Or find out if there's someone at your yard who will let you help exercise their horse in return for helping them with chores?

Pippity

Visit site
If I had any spare money, I'd have a horse. :D

I exercise other horses at the yard, so I do get to hack out, but their owners compete them, because they're far better riders than me. (Story of my life - always the groom, never the rider!)

I know I'll get there eventually. It was just particularly 'meh' today, with everybody out having fun.

PleaseVenus

Visit site
Aww I feel like that too sometimes!

When I was little I remember going to a show with my friend who had her own pony and feeling really sad that I'll never have my own. And I used to watch programmes and read books and be all sad.

I'm sure something will come along though! Maybe a share horse?

I've just opened a new bank account that I'm going to transfer any money that I don't spend each week to. It's going to be like 50p :p but at least it's working towards it. Don't lose hope, there's plenty of time to get your own :D The RDA will be really good experience for when you do!

Pippity

Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement! I know I'll get there eventually - I've just got to pay off the debts accrued during a long period of illness/unemployment, and then I'll be able to get my own.

And I don't begrudge the other people on the yard their fun, in case it came over that I did. I know just how much they spend on their horses and how hard they work and I'm really glad they were able to go out and enjoy themselves after such a horrible winter. (Because winter is over now. It is. If I say it with enough conviction, it'll be true.)

babs2507

Visit site
I have the same thing. I ride for someone, she has the big gorgous horse that she takes out to compete and I end up being the groom. I have been out competing once since I started to ride with her (about 7 years ago) I have that frustrated feeling a lot at the moment. I have considered getting my own horse but I just think about the life it would need and I work full time so it would have to be full livery in winter. I just think now is not the best time for the horse. I rang around some old friends that I used to ride with when I rode at a riding stables, one said that she full liveries, but that she is more than happy for me to text her when I want to go up and ride him whenever and wherever. So fingers crossed the competing will come soon.

Good Luck, but I would look at loaning first

oldie48

Visit site
I keep 2 horses at home and don't like hacking out on my own so i'm always looking for reasonably competent riders to ride out with me. Both horses are well schooled competition horses but good to hack, excellent in traffic etc so I'm not asking anyone to risk life or limb. i usually find people by word of mouth but recently met someone through an ad in our local country shop. I don't ask for a contribution to horses costs or for help in the stables (though I never say no to help if it's offered). I focus on dressage but like my horses to have a jump so I'm happy to take someone to a competition or schooling opportunity and I pay. I also let my riding friends have lessons on my horses. I've made some good friends who still keep in touch when they have either bought their own horse or moved out of the area. I'm sure I'm not unique, so anyone out there who wants an opportunity like this, spread the word around and who knows what will turn up. Good luck!

Echo24

Visit site
I'm in a similar situation with you. I've just given up a loan horse (look at my "fall off new neddie" thread!) but desperately want my own. I regularly see updates of friends on Facebook who have just come back from a show, or been to a really inspiring clinic with amazing photos and I always feel so jealous!

I'd look into getting your own insurance as a rider only, BHS gold membership covers this, and have a chat with the yard to see if that's something they can work around. The fact that you can ride means at least you can keep that side of things up. And keep saving any spare penny you have! The fact you have such a great horsey network could mean you might hear of a horse that's need a sharer or loan home. I know with the sunshine and Spring, you'll be itching to ride out but enjoy every moment you get in the saddle :)