Feeling I'm too old...

corfilgi

New User
Visit site
I thought I'd found a lovely new place for my pony but as the only person there over 13 (quite a bit over...), I'm beginning to feel out of place.

At first sight everything seemed lovely -- the parents of one of the children had obviously thrown a lot at kitting it out to begin with, good paddock arrangement, nice ponies to share etc, and now all her friends have their ponies there too. However the parents now seem to have vanished and leave the whole management of the paddocks to the 13 year old.

The worst problem is that the electric keeps going off -- either batteries aren't changed often enough or lately, they go flat very quickly. The very first week he was there, mine got out of his paddock into the gap between the post and rail/barbed wire and badly scratched his face, narrowly missing his eye. When I went to explore the paddocks grazed by the owner's ponies on the weekend, I found the over hanging trees/hedging/grass was badly overgrown and shorting it out down my end, but neither parent or kid hadn't done anything about it. But when I brought it up with her, all she wanted to talk about was bringing up every niggle she had with the way I manage my pony (never having bothered to ask anything about his little ways e.g.The reason I don't bother with fly masks as he whips them off with his back foot asap or No, I don't like using rugs all year round 24/7 like you, as it prevents mutual grooming and being a native he doesn't need them, plus he's clever enough to find a way of getting one off if I did etc).

I spent all weekend removing the excess hedging/grass on their side so the fence works again, while they were all off bombing about on lovely hacks in the sun and got the electrics working again. But last night one of the friendlier kids turned up and spouted the same niggles as the first one, as if they'd all been whispering behind my back.

I'm beginning to feel like the fat kid at school that everyone talks about behind their back, and a drudge that lugs all the water and does all the picking up while the cool kids waltz in and bomb off to have fun. Once, I offered to come out with the first on a hack to give her outgrown 13hh mare a bit of exercise, but she looked at me in horror and told me I was too big -- I'm 5'nothing and yes, my middle age spread has taken my weight up to 8.5 stone; (at 13 she and all her boyfriends are towering over me yet they're allowed to ride her when it suits).

I'm afraid that I'm too blunt about my concerns, we'll get our marching orders and it has the potential to be a very nice place. Now mine is finally settled there, I don't want to move him, but it's very awkward having to take control of the practicalities as an grown up, yet being treated as rather junior partner by the 13 yr old.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Move! Do it now before it all blows up. I love kids and happily let them ride my pony and help them with theirs etc but a group of young teenagers playing at running a yard would be a total no go for me.

^^^ This. Whilst appreciating your horse is settled and you don't wish to move, I would however respectfully suggest that your horse might actually be at risk in a set-up like this; I fear it is not a case of "if" something happens, it might be more a case of "when". And when "it" happens, who do you trust to be responsible and do what needs to be done like get the vet out? A bunch of bossy kids?? And if that were to be so, you would re-read this thread and kick yourself.

The other thing is that OP you do not say how old you actually are, BUT personally it would not sit well with me to be told what to do and have your horse's management decided by kids.

Where for pity's sake is the YO in all of this?? Is there a YO?

TPO

Visit site
Move asap

I started typing my experiences at a very similar set up and it was too much. Teenagers handed yards by non horsey parents and left to "manage" them dont work, at all.

My teenager was 19 and in Young Farmers therefore knew it all... 🙄 no clue about grass management never mind actual horses. She didnt even provide water for hers! Ugg, I just can't with how bad it was and how disgustingly spoilt brats treat animals.

Definitely get looking because it wont get better as she ages and continues to be a spoilt brat with over inflated ideas of her own importance and knowledge/ability.

ETA this teenage YM also took to handling my horse and bringing him in without permission and denying all knowledge of it (dung in stable gave her away because she was too lazy to clean up behind herself) and when it was hot she took to pouring buckets of water over my horse who was wearing a fly rug. Absolute liability! Your 13yr old sounds even more cocky and its 10x worse that she has friends to bolster her attitude.

Last edited:

corfilgi

New User
Visit site
The other thing is that OP you do not say how old you actually are, BUT personally it would not sit well with me to be told what to do and have your horse's management decided by kids.

Where for pity's sake is the YO in all of this?? Is there a YO?

It's exactly my point that! I am very concerned by the set up, and furious at spending hours building up groundwork slowly with my boy only to have them come over and lecture me on what they did with their (already bombproof) ones! I'm 99% sure I need to get out of it; I'd just welcome some second opinion to make it 100% (given my other half thinks I'm being way too touchy about it al!l)

corfilgi

New User
Visit site
My teenager was 19 and in YF therefore knew it all... no clue about grass management never mind actual horses. She didnt even provide water for hers! Ugg, I just cant with how bad it was and how disgustingly spoilt brats treat animals.

Definitely get looking because it wont get better as she ages and continues to be a spoilt brat with over inflated ideas of her own importance and knowledge/ability

That's exactly it! The water issue makes me mad too -- none of them ever see to field matters (water, manure picking, checking fences etc) before saddling up, too distracted when all their friends turn up for joy rides afterwards either. I think parents have decided it will be good life experience having all the responsibility; unfortunately with the latter comes accountability if things go wrong, and I'm not having them go wrong at my expense.

corfilgi

New User
Visit site
Perhaps the parents see you as a free baby sitter for the brat and it's mates. Glad you getting out ASAP.

When it started, I got the impression they had another adult or two in mind (which might have been more sensible since they had zero previous experience). Perhaps they realised if they were frank about it being just kids I wouldn't been so keen. Also I have the feeling that should there be news of yet another best-friend's first pony in the offing, that'll take precedence over any loyalty to us.

Chianti

Visit site
I thought I'd found a lovely new place for my pony but as the only person there over 13 (quite a bit over...), I'm beginning to feel out of place.

At first sight everything seemed lovely -- the parents of one of the children had obviously thrown a lot at kitting it out to begin with, good paddock arrangement, nice ponies to share etc, and now all her friends have their ponies there too. However the parents now seem to have vanished and leave the whole management of the paddocks to the 13 year old.

The worst problem is that the electric keeps going off -- either batteries aren't changed often enough or lately, they go flat very quickly. The very first week he was there, mine got out of his paddock into the gap between the post and rail/barbed wire and badly scratched his face, narrowly missing his eye. When I went to explore the paddocks grazed by the owner's ponies on the weekend, I found the over hanging trees/hedging/grass was badly overgrown and shorting it out down my end, but neither parent or kid hadn't done anything about it. But when I brought it up with her, all she wanted to talk about was bringing up every niggle she had with the way I manage my pony (never having bothered to ask anything about his little ways e.g.The reason I don't bother with fly masks as he whips them off with his back foot asap or No, I don't like using rugs all year round 24/7 like you, as it prevents mutual grooming and being a native he doesn't need them, plus he's clever enough to find a way of getting one off if I did etc).

I spent all weekend removing the excess hedging/grass on their side so the fence works again, while they were all off bombing about on lovely hacks in the sun and got the electrics working again. But last night one of the friendlier kids turned up and spouted the same niggles as the first one, as if they'd all been whispering behind my back.

I'm beginning to feel like the fat kid at school that everyone talks about behind their back, and a drudge that lugs all the water and does all the picking up while the cool kids waltz in and bomb off to have fun. Once, I offered to come out with the first on a hack to give her outgrown 13hh mare a bit of exercise, but she looked at me in horror and told me I was too big -- I'm 5'nothing and yes, my middle age spread has taken my weight up to 8.5 stone; (at 13 she and all her boyfriends are towering over me yet they're allowed to ride her when it suits).

I'm afraid that I'm too blunt about my concerns, we'll get our marching orders and it has the potential to be a very nice place. Now mine is finally settled there, I don't want to move him, but it's very awkward having to take control of the practicalities as an grown up, yet being treated as rather junior partner by the 13 yr old.

I'd like to stick up for kids and their ponies. I'm 'mature' and have a pony on grass livery. There are other adult owners but their horses are stabled and slightly away from where the grass horses and ponies are kept so I don't have too much contact with them. I'm one of only two adults on grass livery- the other liveries are about 13-17 years but are all lovely. We chat about our equines as if we were all the same age. This week I hacked out with a 17 year old and had a good hack. She was very considerate and kept asking me what I was happy to do on the ride. They are all very sensible and really care for their ponies. There are also some older teenagers who work on the yard and they work hard and are reliable. I've known a few adults who sound just like the kids on your yard and they didn't have the excuse of not being grown ups!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Do be careful, OP, you could possibly find that legally you are responsible for all these teenagers, especially if something goes wrong. Find another yard asap, would be my advice.