Feeling my age and cant get the motivation

teasle

Visit site
My horse has been off work for ages with intermittant lameness- I have been ready to give up ever riding him- but I have been advised to start to walk him . I started and was taking him out for little walks in hand and then twice I just sat on him and walked for a little way. Then I stopped as it was so cold and frosty. Now the ground has thawed but it is so dark before work I just cant get motivated to do more than turn him out and muck out. I feel guilty when I see other people make more of an effort and get the good results their effort deserves. I need a plan but if horse is still lame by the summer he will be pts and part of me does not want to even try incase that is what happens. Too dark after work and I am doing a 7 day stretch at the moment.

FionaM12

Visit site
January's a rubbish time of year for motivation! I finshed work (granted I had done a 25 hour shift) at 11am today and fully intended to go and ride. In the end I just felt cold and tired and haven't left the house. Mollie won't mind, she's out with her friends, but shortly I'll have to go and bed her down for the night.

I can imagine your situation re the lameness must be depressing. I hope things improve and you and your horse have a happier time soon.

teasle

Visit site
He is only 7 years old and at livery. He does not have to be pts at the moment as a welfare issue,but he has not been ridden for 10 months, it is a year since his problems started, if I see him lame after the summer there can be no hope of him being ridden even as the light hack I want.

Xander

Visit site
Put it this way teasle - if you dont make a plan he will def. be pts. I can understand you are down about it tho.

is he ok when you walk him?

canteron

Visit site
Wear an iPod when walking him out in hand/riding out (only in one ear though!). March along singing away - good music really does brighten life.

Also, do you have a heart rate monitor. It is very encouraging to see how many calories you have burned and makes it into a keep fit routine - which gives happy endorphins.

And I would see it as precious time that you spend with him, it could your last opportunity make the most of it. You need to give it your best shot and then you will not only have self respect but the decent people of this world will also hold you in high esteem.

Good luck!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
well teasle .. he has been off for 10 months, another month is neither here nor there. i would pick a date mid feb and start then. make a time table of 5 days out of 7. you will have the added bebefit of extra light am and pm. why has he been intermittingly lame? have you got a definitive diagnosis? and a prognosis? mother nature is a great healer if you can spare the time!

teasle

Visit site
I just thought that anohther vet would just go down the same procedure and that I would just see if time could heal. But am on myu way to do him now and will have a little walk before work.

muffinmunsh

Visit site
I am not surprised you are feeling down and unmotivated if all you are looking at in the future is potentially having to put your horse down!
You need something to look forward to, a target to prepare for.
Find something you two can learn and do in-hand or at walk ... Groundwork (done properly, under instruction) or short 10 walk hacks... You could start working on Trec obstacles in-hand and then take him to a Trec and ride everything, that kind of thing.
You'll be surprised what taking your mind off the problems and focussing forward may bring :)