Feeling so sad

frostyfingers

Visit site
I've just said goodbye to our beloved family pony and am devastated. I can't settle to anything and keep crying so thought I'd put down how much he meant to us all. He was with us for 12 years, through thick and thin, he was my best friend and my "go to" comforter in hard times, he gave much pleasure to many small children and taught my husband that horses and ponies can be fun. He'd been suffering with increasingly frequent and severe bouts of colic and after nearly losing him last time round the vet advised that it would be for the best to have him put to sleep whilst he was reasonably well and not to risk waiting for the next bout. He's spent the last four weeks eating freely, galloping about with his mates and being spoiled rotten. He loved hounds and hunting so we took him up to the kennels and he was very excited to be there, so I hope his last thoughts were happy ones.

I shall miss him terribly, my horse is screaming for him which is hard to take, and the next few weeks are going to be very empty without his furry little body to hug. It's so hard.

minkymoo

Visit site
Didn't want to read & run, but I'm sorry about your pony. Take comfort in the fact that you did the best thing for your pony at the most important time. I haven't suffered a loss myself, but I imagine it must feel awful, though will get better in time. xx

Art Nouveau

Visit site
Poor you :-( Sounds like he had a wonderful life with you and it's good to know he had such an enjoyable last few weeks. Hugs xxx

Ceriann

Visit site
So very sorry - it is very hard but as someone told me when I lost my mare earlier this year, your grief is an indication of how loved he was. He was clearly a very lucky boy and you made his last few days special. You can't do any more and you should take some comfort in that. Take care xx

frostyfingers

Visit site
Thank you everyone - I took myself off last night with a large gin and Henry Cecil's biography which distracted me for most of the evening. Horse is still calling, when I brought him in this morning he was looking around the yard for his friend which is so sad. I'm off to chisel some mud from him and take him out in the wind and rain. It doesn't feel right without him, my heart lurches when I look in the field and he's not there as I'd got so used to checking he was ok every couple of hours.

wiglet

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. I had to let my girl go in September after 17 years of ownership, it's heartbreaking and I still miss her dreadfully. Like you say, I think the worst bit is seeing your other horse calling and looking for the one that's gone - I had all that as well. So sorry OP xx

Wimbles

Visit site
You get overwhelmed with dreadful stories of horse abuse and neglect, so to read a post like this where a beloved friend was taken care of all those years and details of his final moments thought through so carefully are so good to hear.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I recently lost a dear furry friend too. The Vet sent a lovely card to me a few days after. Enclosed were these words that I thought you might like,

"Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you, I loved you so, 'twas heaven here with you"

misskk88

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. I would take comfort in the fact that you gave him a wonderful last few weeks, and allowed him to go pain free, whilst he was still enjoying life. That is the act of a completely selfless and thoughtful owner, and hopefully that thought alone will take away just an ounce of the pain. x

Moya_999

Visit site
I've just said goodbye to our beloved family pony and am devastated. I can't settle to anything and keep crying so thought I'd put down how much he meant to us all. He was with us for 12 years, through thick and thin, he was my best friend and my "go to" comforter in hard times, he gave much pleasure to many small children and taught my husband that horses and ponies can be fun. He'd been suffering with increasingly frequent and severe bouts of colic and after nearly losing him last time round the vet advised that it would be for the best to have him put to sleep whilst he was reasonably well and not to risk waiting for the next bout. He's spent the last four weeks eating freely, galloping about with his mates and being spoiled rotten. He loved hounds and hunting so we took him up to the kennels and he was very excited to be there, so I hope his last thoughts were happy ones.

I shall miss him terribly, my horse is screaming for him which is hard to take, and the next few weeks are going to be very empty without his furry little body to hug. It's so hard.

I know the feeling of the sadness and loss RIP little man

love this

AS MUCH AS I LOVED THE LIFE WE HAD AND ALL
THE TIMES WE PLAYED
I WAS SO TIRED AND KNEW MY TIME ON EARTH
WOULD FADE

I SAW A WONDEROUS IMAGE OF A PLACE THAT IS
TROUBLE FREE
WHERE ALL OF US CAN MEET AGAIN AND SPEND
ERTERNITY

I SAW A BEAUTYFUL RAINBOW AND ON THE OTHER
SIDE
WERE MEADOWS RICH AND BEAUTYFUL LUSH AND
GREEN AND WIDE

AND RUNNING THROUGH THE MEADOWS AS FAR
AS THE EYE COULD SEE
WERE ANIMALS OF EVERY SORT AS HEALTHY AS
CAN BE

MY OWN TIRED FAILING BODY WAS FRESH AND
HEALED AND NEW
AND WANTED TO GO AND RUN WITH THEM
BUT I HAD SOMETHING LEFT TO DO

I NEEDED TO REACH OUT TO YOU TO TELL YOU I
AM ALRIGHT
THAT THIS PLACE IS TRULY WONDERFUL
THEN A BRIGHT GLOW PIERCED THE NIGHT

T'AWS THE GLOW OF MANY CANDLES SHINNING
BRIGHT AND STRONG
AND I KNEW THEN IT HELD OUR LOVE IN ITS
BRILLIANT SHADES OF GOLD

FOR ALTHOUGH WE MAY NOT BE TOGETHER
THE WAY WE USED TO BE
WE ARE STILL CONNECTED BY THE CORD NO EYE
CAN SEE

SO WHEN EVER YOU NEED TO FIND ME WE ARE
NEVER FAR APART
IF YOU LOOK BEYOND THE RAINBOW AND
LISTEN WITH YOUR HEART

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
So sorry OP, but you did the right thing, and I'm sure he's thanking you now from Horsey Heaven. It sounds silly, but you were lucky that you could say goodbye to him properly, and knew when he would leave Earth. Thank goodness we have never yet had to say the final goodbye to any of our horses, but when our beloved Greyhound died of a heart attack 7 years ago, we didn't have a chance to say a proper goodbye, she just collapsed horribly out of the blue, and died before the vet arrived.

He was a very lucky pony to have such a kind & special owner like you. It will take time for the pain of losing him to ease (not that it ever will subside completely), but just try to remember of all the happy times you had together, and that he went happily & loved, having had a fantastic life, not in an awful way like some other horses & ponies do.

Strength & hugs to you. x

R.I.P. little man, sleep tight xx

Last edited: