Feeling sorry for myself....

Arniebear

Visit site
I'm sure you guys can relate to this.

Anyone else's horsey summer plans all ruined?!

Next weekend my baby pony was planned to part take in his first BE.... We are currently one month in to 3 months field rest.

My big horse has just been turned away for a year + in a big field away from home and it's taken him 2 weeks to feel the need to no longer need me! Sounds stupid I know and I'm glad he's happy in his herd but I miss my daily cuddles so God damn much.

Just seems I can't catch a break with my horses atm, I'm sure I'm not the only one so if anyone feels like joining in feel free.

Also what do non horsey people do with their spare time?! I'm really bored!!

DD265

Visit site
This is the first year in about 8 that my summer is good to go so you have my sympathies. Admittedly we haven't really made any plans but I'm not facing a summer of no riding, watching everybody else go out etc.

I hope your baby pony is feeling better soon!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
aww big hugs but totally feel your pain

my horse is 6 this year. he was backed 2 years ago, started playing up towards the end of his first summer! was off on 4 month box rest, then another month before i got back on, worked well into his 5th year and was off again from July until October last year. He's done some stuff over the winter but i'm not convinced he's still right! was x-rayed for kissing spins 2 weeks ago, but all clear! however he's not right, rearing when going down hill, pulling his head a lot!! did a bute trail last week and managed a 4 mile hack yesterday with absolutely no issues! going to try another off road hack tomorrow, then stop the bute and see if he's still sore!

Seeing the physio again in a week and if no improvement, vet will be back to scan him!! need to find out what is wrong with the poor boy!! I now wonder if they've ever got his diagnosis right? hoping I can get whatever it is sorted before the summer sets in, so I can actually really start to enjoy him this year!

Arniebear

Visit site
This is the first year in about 8 that my summer is good to go so you have my sympathies. Admittedly we haven't really made any plans but I'm not facing a summer of no riding, watching everybody else go out etc.

I hope your baby pony is feeling better soon!

Typically he is now sound!! No real damage done just tweaked his suspensory but I darent bring him back into work just yet in case it goes properly, a few more months and it should heal fully with no ill effects apparently! (I'm skeptical atm, if anyone has a crystal ball please send it my way!)

Arniebear

Visit site
aww big hugs but totally feel your pain

my horse is 6 this year. he was backed 2 years ago, started playing up towards the end of his first summer! was off on 4 month box rest, then another month before i got back on, worked well into his 5th year and was off again from July until October last year. He's done some stuff over the winter but i'm not convinced he's still right! was x-rayed for kissing spins 2 weeks ago, but all clear! however he's not right, rearing when going down hill, pulling his head a lot!! did a bute trail last week and managed a 4 mile hack yesterday with absolutely no issues! going to try another off road hack tomorrow, then stop the bute and see if he's still sore!

Seeing the physio again in a week and if no improvement, vet will be back to scan him!! need to find out what is wrong with the poor boy!! I now wonder if they've ever got his diagnosis right? hoping I can get whatever it is sorted before the summer sets in, so I can actually really start to enjoy him this year!

Sorry to hear your also having trouble, hope they get to the bottom of it. Similar story with my big lad, was purchased after the loss of my TB due to racing injuries, 6 months in blew a tendon in 2013, 9 months out and back into work late 2014. Aug 2015 blew a tendon sheath now sat in a field for the foreseeable future. Such is life people say but I have to admit it bloody sucks!!! Really hope u can get some answers soon :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It was last summer Jay Man did his suspensory, just a tweak, but off games all the same. Then he had complications, and has been off since.

OH got so fed up with me being miserable we have a new horse here, and just as that happens Jay is surprisingly OK with his last scan. The ligament is a bit bigger than it should be, but the fibres are lined up nicely. I am supposed to bring him back to work gently, with bits and bats this year, with a possible return to eventing next year. I personally doubt he will be sound for eventing.

So, new horse is nice, but is quite expensive if Jay Man really does stay sound. OH feels that as I am approaching 50 he does not want me off sulking another summer, as I may not have many years to event left in me!

From experience it does get easier when they are off.

Arniebear

Visit site
Red -1 did Jay man actually do some damage when he tweaked his suspensory? U mention good fibres on a recent scan? Did he tear it or have a hole? My lad has nothing visible on a scan the suspensory looks fine apparently, they are just calling it PSD of the suspensory as when they nerve blocked the suspensory he then went sound. The words on the report are actually the probably cause of the lameness is PSD.... Which translates to me as they don't really know the cause of the lameness!! He's sound now to my eye anyway am yet to have a vet see him will save the call out for later!! What sort of complications did he have? Fingers crossed he does stay sound for u!

mytwofriends

Visit site
It's ironic with my situation. This winter I didn't enjoy my horses one bit. I was on horse overload. I worked with them, had one living out 24/7 and one at a small yard.

So I quit my job which helped, which gave me more time with my mum, who is 90+ and fairly dependant.

My small horse, the one who lived out, was on rehab from a torn DDFT for the second time, and I was finally given the all clear to ride him. Things were going well, and we'd built up to some decent length hacks, albeit gentle.

I then lost him a couple of weeks ago to a totally unrelated incident. A snake bite. I was devastated, and felt so guilty that I hadn't enjoyed him much over the winter.

I now feel sorry for myself, as although I have my dear old big guy to love, he's literally only trundles out once a week. I don't want to get another horse while I still have him, and much as I love taking care of him, I do get pangs when the weather is lovely and I wish I could have a lovely long ride. My little guy was the ultimate in fun. Riding someone else's horse has never done it for me, even though I've had offers from friends. It's just not the same.

So, OP, I'm equally as deflated.

Arniebear

Visit site
Mytwofriends so sorry to hear of the loss of ur little guy especially after all the hard work through the injuries. It gets easier eventually but no wander u feel deflated, I'm the same re other horses it's just not the same and although I do appreciate the offer I tend to decline it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Red -1 did Jay man actually do some damage when he tweaked his suspensory? U mention good fibres on a recent scan? Did he tear it or have a hole? My lad has nothing visible on a scan the suspensory looks fine apparently, they are just calling it PSD of the suspensory as when they nerve blocked the suspensory he then went sound. The words on the report are actually the probably cause of the lameness is PSD.... Which translates to me as they don't really know the cause of the lameness!! He's sound now to my eye anyway am yet to have a vet see him will save the call out for later!! What sort of complications did he have? Fingers crossed he does stay sound for u!

Jay had a "field incident" where he was turned out all OK, then in the afternoon when fetched in a post had been uprooted, a rail broken and some electric tape was down. Whatever had happened, he was obviously upset, as the field looked as if he had ploughed it with his own feet.

He was not particularly cut or anything, seemed OK that night, was a bit sore the next day, but no swelling. Gave him a few days, or a week or so, off. Put back to work and was "almost" OK. Not quite. Not really lame, but not good when changing rein specifically from right to left.

Waited a few weeks to see the senior partner for the large vet hospital, he was not really lame until suspensory manipulated and his leg flexed, whereupon it was obvious. Scan showed a hole in the suspensory high up on the outside branch. X ray showed he had also broken some bone off nearer the fetlock. The "field incident" had done some damage!

The complications were unexpected, and were to do with him losing muscle tone. I have had him for 5 years, and he had never needed time off, he had been sound as a pound. When he was off he kind of sagged in the middle, and became a wobbler! TBH we took him to the vet hosp to be PTS, but his X rays on his spine were not so bad, and the vet thought the ataxic symptoms were possible due to inflammation. It was a real emotional rollercoaster.

I was set to PTS, as wobblers is dangerous for all concerned. The vet wanted to try steroids for 6 weeks, combined with working on the lunge to re-muscle his back. The vet was right. Jay lost the wobbler symptoms, but the result was no rest for the suspensory.

I actually took him back to have a scan as if the enforced work had badly damaged the suspensory we would have considered a neurectomy so he had a happy retirement. It was a huge surprise to find that despite regular lungeing and riding out the ligament has healed.

So, Sidney has arrived, and now it looks like Jay man may yet make a recovery!!!!

mytwofriends

Visit site
Mytwofriends so sorry to hear of the loss of ur little guy especially after all the hard work through the injuries. It gets easier eventually but no wander u feel deflated, I'm the same re other horses it's just not the same and although I do appreciate the offer I tend to decline it.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Lots of "if onlys" which I know are useless.

I'll just enjoy my old gentleman. I'd rather pamper him than ride someone else's. I'm glad you feel the same way, as I sometimes wonder if people think I'm being ungrateful. I'm not, honestly, I just like riding my own horses.

Laura-Maybe-IV

Visit site
I completely know how your feeling, my then TB mare was flying through the ranks of eventing. We had spent all winter getting her fit ready for her first one star event. 4 days before the event I took her out to do some canter work, she spooked at a rabbit jumping out of a bush but because we were cantering on an incline she jumped and landed awkwardly and she ruptured her superficial tendon and our holes in her deep digital flexor.. 4 years and a foal later I did ride her again but we could never compete to what we did.

I did have a few other horses after her, but I did have a break from riding her when she was turned away once she was field sound for 6 months and I admit I did feel very miserable so much so my other half went and brought me a yearling and a puppy to keep me entertained!

I hope your pony and horse make a full recovery OP and hopefully it won't feel like too long before you can ride again X

Last edited:

Arniebear

Visit site
Jay had a "field incident" where he was turned out all OK, then in the afternoon when fetched in a post had been uprooted, a rail broken and some electric tape was down. Whatever had happened, he was obviously upset, as the field looked as if he had ploughed it with his own feet.

He was not particularly cut or anything, seemed OK that night, was a bit sore the next day, but no swelling. Gave him a few days, or a week or so, off. Put back to work and was "almost" OK. Not quite. Not really lame, but not good when changing rein specifically from right to left.

Waited a few weeks to see the senior partner for the large vet hospital, he was not really lame until suspensory manipulated and his leg flexed, whereupon it was obvious. Scan showed a hole in the suspensory high up on the outside branch. X ray showed he had also broken some bone off nearer the fetlock. The "field incident" had done some damage!

The complications were unexpected, and were to do with him losing muscle tone. I have had him for 5 years, and he had never needed time off, he had been sound as a pound. When he was off he kind of sagged in the middle, and became a wobbler! TBH we took him to the vet hosp to be PTS, but his X rays on his spine were not so bad, and the vet thought the ataxic symptoms were possible due to inflammation. It was a real emotional rollercoaster.

I was set to PTS, as wobblers is dangerous for all concerned. The vet wanted to try steroids for 6 weeks, combined with working on the lunge to re-muscle his back. The vet was right. Jay lost the wobbler symptoms, but the result was no rest for the suspensory.

I actually took him back to have a scan as if the enforced work had badly damaged the suspensory we would have considered a neurectomy so he had a happy retirement. It was a huge surprise to find that despite regular lungeing and riding out the ligament has healed.

So, Sidney has arrived, and now it looks like Jay man may yet make a recovery!!!!

Wow he really did some damage, bless him. That must have been a hard time to go through with some potentially tough decisions, fingers crossed he stays on the road to recovery for you and you get 2 ponies to play with!

I completely know how your feeling, my then TB mare was flying through the ranks of eventing. We had spent all winter getting her fit ready for her first one star event. 4 days before the event I took her out to do some canter work, she spooked at a rabbit jumping out of a bush but because we were cantering on an incline she jumped and landed awkwardly and she ruptured her superficial tendon and our holes in her deep digital flexor.. 4 years and a foal later I did ride her again but we could never compete to what we did.

I did have a few other horses after her, but I did have a break from riding her when she was turned away once she was field sound for 6 months and I admit I did feel very miserable so much so my other half went and brought me a yearling and a puppy to keep me entertained!

I hope your pony and horse make a full recovery OP and hopefully it won't feel like too long before you can ride again X

Sorry to hear about your mare, life can be so unfair. How did the foal turn out? Time is a great healer so im hoping it will work in my favor with my big lad, and the youngster is sound so im praying he stays that way! Im off to thailand for a month shortly so im hoping some time away from it all will refresh me and regenerate me to get cracking with the rehab! not that i dare make any plans for the future just incase they all get ruined again!

Arniebear

Visit site
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Lots of "if onlys" which I know are useless.

I'll just enjoy my old gentleman. I'd rather pamper him than ride someone else's. I'm glad you feel the same way, as I sometimes wonder if people think I'm being ungrateful. I'm not, honestly, I just like riding my own horses.

it not ungratefulness its just not the same! I loaned one when my big lad first went out with injury and while he was a lovely horse it really wasnt the same feeling as improving your own. I have the ride on my friends atm as im helping to prep him for sale, but tbh i didnt ride him last night after work as i just didnt feel it, usually im bounding home from work and cant wait to tack up, but the motivation has all gone. Hope you get to enjoy you old boy this summer :)

Hannahgb

Visit site
I can totally relate! I lost my old boy in October and then my horse of a life time in February. My 5 year old has been off since October due to both hind suspensories and will be off for the foreseeable future.

I am so so lucky in having been able to buy a 4 yr old- but am struggling to enjoy her for the constant fear of it all going wrong again!