Feeling thoroughly fed up....

MissGee

Visit site
Sorry for the "woe is me" thread, but just feel the need to moan...

Had a rough couple of years, sold a really nice horse that I really loved but just couldn't get on competing with, bought another on a bit of whim and to be honest didn't enjoy riding her... then in April this year bought my super super gelding.

I bought him off my trainer, she'd had him a year, hunted him and jumped him affiliated. Well we hit the ground running, had him less than a week and took him to our first BS show (I'm a very windy rider!! so this was a massive achievement for me), we've done 2 adult camps and had loads of fun doing a bit of everything over the summer, always been careful to make sure he's fully fit for everything and not overdoing too much of a specific thing.

Sunday 3rd September we jumped our first BN double clear (only our 3rd BN together) and after the last fence, came back to trot and he was lame :-(

Intermittent lameness since then and after lots of different options.... last week decided to take him to Equine Hospital for a full work up.

Result - front suspensory desmitis!

Gutted beyond belief. I know the outlook with enough rest is good, but I'm just doing the, why me, why now, just when we/I'd got going, when I'd found the perfect horse etc etc....

Positive vibes needed please.

Equi

Visit site
I think you either end up with no luck in or bad luck in the horse world. Ive never had a "perfect" horse, and i dont imagine i ever will but thats horses. You work with what you have and what not.

Hope he heals quickly for you though.

MissGee

Visit site
Don't blame you for feeling p*ssed off. I don't know much about it. What's the prognosis?

To be fair, prognosis is good. Vet says with enough rest he should be fine.

He's a really good horse and even though I've only had him a fairly short time, love him to bits, so he's worth that time and effort.

My plan is to give him longer, no point in rushing, particularly given the time of year.

Typical though as for the first time ever, I was actually looking forward to indoor SJ...

AnShanDan

Visit site
Outlook is good if you do the rehab properly, lots of walking.

Is foot balance OK? Only ask this cos we had one with slight suspensory strain in a fore leg last year, she was just 5 and think she'd just done a bit too much on the hard ground in the spring, plus her heels were too low.

She's fine now, did a long slow rehab over about 4-5 months (complicated by her impaling herself on a metal gate 2 weeks after she was turned out again).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think you either end up with no luck in or bad luck in the horse world.

certainly feels like that sometimes! Sorry to hear about yours OP, try and stay positive and I'm sure he will make a good recovery.
Can you arrange some horsey treats for yourself in the meantime, so you don't feel like you're missing out so much? My oldie is permanently on the injury couch for one thing or another and I find it less miserable if I have some trips out to watch big shows or maybe a schoolmaster lesson to look forward to?

HeroMaggie

Visit site
To be fair, prognosis is good. Vet says with enough rest he should be fine.

He's a really good horse and even though I've only had him a fairly short time, love him to bits, so he's worth that time and effort.

My plan is to give him longer, no point in rushing, particularly given the time of year.

Typical though as for the first time ever, I was actually looking forward to indoor SJ...

It's always the way.. I've had my boy since a 3 year old and due to one thing or another we never managed to be consistently competing until he was 11/12. The weekend we jumped our first double clear Foxhunter he had a freak accident and fell puncturing his knee joint badly. After surgery, box rest and extensive rehab he is now sound and enjoying life again albeit at a slower pace as he's now 19!

So I feel your pain! You sound like you have a good plan in place. Hope he is back fighting fit soon!

MissGee

Visit site
It's always the way.. I've had my boy since a 3 year old and due to one thing or another we never managed to be consistently competing until he was 11/12. The weekend we jumped our first double clear Foxhunter he had a freak accident and fell puncturing his knee joint badly. After surgery, box rest and extensive rehab he is now sound and enjoying life again albeit at a slower pace as he's now 19!

So I feel your pain! You sound like you have a good plan in place. Hope he is back fighting fit soon!

Wow - so sorry to hear that! Glad to hear he's made a good recover though.

I know there are lots of people that go through similar things, and worse! That's horses for you!
So I'm realistic and get it - just felt the general need to moan and feel sorry for myself.

My husband and I have 4 horses, he too has his competition horse and then we have 2 retired competition horses.

So my old Gee Gee (25 yrs old) has been dragged out and clipped lol. :)

MissGee

Visit site
Is foot balance OK? Only ask this cos we had one with slight suspensory strain in a fore leg last year, she was just 5 and think she'd just done a bit too much on the hard ground in the spring, plus her heels were too low.

Thank you. Yes, this is something that's been considered. In fact, when he originally went lame, both my farrier and I thought he'd partially sheered a heel, so he's currently now in bar shoes too.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Have you got any close up pics of the feet? I understand bar shoes are used for some in remedial work, but there's a wealth of knowledge on here about feet, don't just blindly trust the farrier and vet. They're not really a permanent fix for long term soundness imho.

To build heels they shouldn't need extra support at the back as this really weakens the heel as opposed to strengthening it. My horses heels will slip forwards in the blink of an eye if they are allowed to.

HeroMaggie

Visit site
Wow - so sorry to hear that! Glad to hear he's made a good recover though.

I know there are lots of people that go through similar things, and worse! That's horses for you!
So I'm realistic and get it - just felt the general need to moan and feel sorry for myself.

My husband and I have 4 horses, he too has his competition horse and then we have 2 retired competition horses.

So my old Gee Gee (25 yrs old) has been dragged out and clipped lol. :)

Glad you can at least get a riding fix.. :D

EventingMum

Visit site
It's rotten when these things happen. We have four horses that we class as our own as against my RS horses and at present the only one that is healthy and sound is the retired one - the other three are all on the sick list for differing reasons :(

Northern

Visit site
Totally understand the need to have a "woe is me" thread!
You aren't alone - my beloved TB mare had to have an arthroscopy and isn't rideable in the immediate future. Then a month ago my other mare spooked and jumped on a rock, very impressive hind leg wound :( to make matters worse, the day she was right to be turned out again, I turned up and found she'd tangled with the fence and put a hole in her other hind leg :( So no riding for me for a while too.

I am now an expert wound carer though :D It's quite a demoralising time, I have little to no support either. But the wounds and injuries will heal, and hopefully so will my other girl. Chin up!

MissGee

Visit site
Totally understand the need to have a "woe is me" thread!
You aren't alone - my beloved TB mare had to have an arthroscopy and isn't rideable in the immediate future. Then a month ago my other mare spooked and jumped on a rock, very impressive hind leg wound :( to make matters worse, the day she was right to be turned out again, I turned up and found she'd tangled with the fence and put a hole in her other hind leg :( So no riding for me for a while too.

I am now an expert wound carer though :D It's quite a demoralising time, I have little to no support either. But the wounds and injuries will heal, and hopefully so will my other girl. Chin up!

Sorry to hear all this, sounds like you've had a right rough stretch. So chin up to you too ;-)

Us horsey folk just have such a way of just getting on with things though and not letting things get you down, but then, just occasionally, we need to have a moan!

I'm lucky, I have lots of support, particularly as my hubby rides too.
We have our own small yard and just a few friends on livery with us.
Our new livery in particular is a lovely lady, fellow HHO, who has two adorable geldings which I'm enjoying getting to know and have the occasional ride on.

atropa

Visit site
Feel your pain, my 'competition' horse has been out of work since May 2016 with colics, laminitis, navicular and suspensory desmitis, so I've been doing bits and pieces with my much greener, much trickier younger mare but it's not the same. My vet wants me bringing older mare back into work now but it's so disheartening as I'm not convinced she's actually any sounder :(

Northern

Visit site
Sorry to hear all this, sounds like you've had a right rough stretch. So chin up to you too ;-)

Us horsey folk just have such a way of just getting on with things though and not letting things get you down, but then, just occasionally, we need to have a moan!

I'm lucky, I have lots of support, particularly as my hubby rides too.
We have our own small yard and just a few friends on livery with us.
Our new livery in particular is a lovely lady, fellow HHO, who has two adorable geldings which I'm enjoying getting to know and have the occasional ride on.

Thanks! I won't lie, it's been hard. Especially seeing friends/people out riding/competing while I am unable to. At least the extra time has given me hours to groom all their winter coat out (it's spring here)!

claracanter

Visit site
I feel your pain. I have a TB who hasn't been in proper work for about 3 years and I am currently rehabbing him again with a view that I won't jump him. I bought another horse two years ago, so I could still have fun competing during all the rehab but he has been diagnosed with Cushing's so it's not all plain sailing there either.

Having a spare is great although one of my trainers reckoned 3 horses was the optimum number to ensure you could keep riding!!!!
I bet your old boy is thrilled to bits.
I think it was Lucinda Green who says horses are 99% disappointment.

At least you had the summer to form a great partnership