Fell off in stinging nettles!

dreams579

Visit site
My charming new horse put in a particularly dirty spin with me out hacking today and dumped me in a patch of thistles and stinging nettles! Arms are now tingly and sore not surprisingly! Have taken paracetamol and a antihistamine but no joy so far! Any top tips for calming it down?!!

dreams579

Visit site
I picked a terrible place for a wee once on a hack, I can speak from experience that camomile lotion is your friend!
Will you forgive me if I had a small chuckle at this? The things us riders get up to!

good shout re camomile! I feel a trip to Tesco coming on!

Reactions: RHM

scats

Visit site
Ouch! I feel your pain. No idea how to calm it down I’m afraid, would something like calamine lotion work?
Quite a few years ago now, I was on my way to Alton Towers with my best friend and her family and my bladder kicked off (interstitial cystitis and a badly scarred bladder that doesn’t stretch) Friends nan stopped the car and I jumped out, headed into the bushes and dropped my drawers to have a pee. Managed to crouch down in a nettle bush and stung my bare backside but I was so desperate to pee I just kept going. My friend had got out with me and all I remember was laughing my head off and shrieking, “Im being stung!” while she was absolutely creased over in hysterics, while her whole family watched on from the car. Fortunately they’ve known me since I was 4 so it was a perfectly normal event for them to witness haha!
I spent the rest of the day riding rollercoasters with a very, very sore bum!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Have you taken Piriton? I understand that you can safely take a lot more than the recommended dose if that doesn't work.

You have all my sympathy, many years ago, a 17 hh CBx RS horse ran away with me on a hack through some woods and managed to sweep me off into blackberry bushes and nettles. Apparently it was his party trick! Fortunately I had had it drummed into me that everything that could be covered should be when riding so I wasn't too badly stung/scratched - it was bad enough though!

Follysmum

Visit site
I feel for you I did this many years ago. Fell into a 3ft ditch of them. I stung for at least a week it was awful.
Lots of cold baths and antihistamines helped

dreams579

Visit site
Yep, dock leaves work well on nettle stings.

I feel your pain OP. My first pony dumped me in a gorse bush once. That was pretty painful! :oops:

I hope you feel better soon - but if you don't, just eat more chocolate. ;)
Ouch! I bet you were picking gorse spikes out of skin and clothes for ages!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Dock leaves! Rub them on to the stingy area and voila.
Yep, dock leaves work well on nettle stings.

I feel your pain OP. My first pony dumped me in a gorse bush once. That was pretty painful! :oops:

I hope you feel better soon - but if you don't, just eat more chocolate. ;)
Sorry to say, but dock leaves don't actually help nettles stings, any relief you feel is the cooling effect of the sap, it only lasts until the sap has dried.
i have a couple of aloe vera plants at home which are brilliant for treating stings and mild burns.

huskydamage

Visit site
Just wait it out I think, I feel your pain! I fell off into nettles once I was covered in it up my arms and face. I'd broken my arm too but the pain from the nettles was so bad I didn't even notice that until later. I absolutely hate them now! Strim every last one!

dreams579

Visit site
Just wait it out I think, I feel your pain! I fell off into nettles once I was covered in it up my arms and face. I'd broken my arm too but the pain from the nettles was so bad I didn't even notice that until later. I absolutely hate them now! Strim every last one!
Ow ow ow! I did at least manage to keep my face out of them, can’t imagine how sore that would be. They are feeling a bit better this morning at least so fingers crossed!

Winters100

Visit site
Ouch. Try cold green tea on the affected areas if the camomile doesn't work. Or if that doesn't work gin taken orally would relieve the worst of the pain for at least some hours.