Fell off twice today... *challenging* xc schooling session. Sorry LONG

LauraBR

Visit site
He was in a stressy silly mood before we even loaded so I guess we were never going to have a smooth day. Clearly didn't like the fact it was just him and one other when unloaded- began fretting and working himself straight away.

Warmed up nicely albeit right on his toes- no bucking and no tanking so was pleased. Did his usual of refusing a few first time and then sailing over. Once he has done something once it then seems to be fine and he doesn't half jump then beautifully when he does go over.

I had picked out two potential bogey fences before we even got there (why do we do this to ourselves?)- one of the bigger jumps into dark woods and a coffin followed by a rail. Took me about 10 attempts to get him into the woods. At the coffin he put a mahooosive jump over the ditch which unbalanced me just in time for him to run out at the rail and drop his shoulder- me off, cracked my head into the rail. Got back on even more determined than ever and he jumped it fine.

Second fall was later on- he stopped and then cat leapt (that little scenario always seems to get me off and it doesn't help that when he does jump from a standstill he jumps so huge.
wink.gif

We had so many run outs today- I have never worked so hard in my life RIDING him into the fences, not letting him run out or stop but he was little sod. It's like he needs to be completely bullied into every bloomin fence otherwise he takes the mick! Do believe the jump into the woods he was genuinely unsure of but after that he was been totally stupid over little logs and things. Even with my leg on, my stick on his run out side and me using my voice with all I could muster he still managed to get right up to the jump- even half jump it sometimes- and then whip round to the left (always the left- is there anything in that?).

Anyway, kept my cool with him and kept plugging away. Came home having jumped everything we'll have to jump on Sunday so think it will make a big difference but ho hum could also be total disaster. My position is definitely improving through... think I would have been off a fair few times had it not been.

Once we had done a section doing each jump individually he'd go round that part of the course beautifully.

Feel so bloomin rubbish- I'm sure most if not all of it is my fault so any tips/ ideas/ advice appreciated!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
To stop him running out and/or stopping, jump him from a walk the first time. Get him right back on his hocks, turn in from 2 strides and kick/crack round the a55. Most horses can jump up to 5ft like this, once they know theyve got nowhere to go they usually cop on.

SillyMare

Visit site
Would it be an option for you to drop down a class on Sunday?

Might be better for your confidence to have a nice safe clear round some baby fences.

Alternatively could you do pairs to get him thinking forward?

LauraBR

Visit site
You are absolutely right and this is probably where a lot of the problems stem from- when I make him jump from a standstill/walk (some of these are tiny jumps easily jumped from standing) he jumps me out the saddle because my seat isn't strong enough... I'm rubbish at sitting his massive cat leaps.

LauraBR

Visit site
lol these are the baby fences! It's only a tiny local course and TBH today he went much better over the 2"9s compared with the really little ones.

We did nanny and novice last weekend and he stopped at maybe half (our nanny was miles off we kind of went alone as he doesn't seem to gain any confidence from getting a lead and hots up majorly in company)- but then we did an individual round and totally stormed it- foot perfect clear.

LauraBR

Visit site
Yup, good neckstrap- godsend! And no, when he jumped me out the saddle today I didn't have hold of it... theres a lesson there somewhere!

Perhaps he will settle. He wasn't in the right frame of mind today for a start. He's such a difficult horse to get the measure of- no two days are the same! Some days he's totally dead and you can't get him to move, other days he's taking off with me bronking...
confused.gif

Have xc course at my yard so will have a play about fine tuning run out stopping techniques.

ALSO- he jumps way better once he gets into a rhythm- when we went clear last weekend it was plain sailing once I had him in a nice rhythm, he still backed off but he was much less work.

Any tips for sitting catleaps other than heels down chin up and neckstrap anyone? If I could learn to sit them half the battle would be won I'm sure.

meandmyself

Visit site
Could you get someone to lunge you on him over some tiny fences? Might help you get the measure of him without having to worry about keeping him going.

Good luck; he sounds tricky!
smile.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Might be worth a go... although it's not a problem keeping him going right up to the take off point- he really charges at them and I have to try so hard to sit up and steady him before letting him go before the fence keeping my leg on and tapping him on the shoulder just before take off...

He is a little tinker. Aren't new horses fun?

On the plus side think I may have just found someone to hunt him for me... I daren't take him after he nearly killed me last time... should do him the world of good.

Skhosu

Visit site
hum hum....are you sure you aren't steadying him too much?
This really winds my tb up if I steady him too much, so I let him think he's taking me at his pace. Tapping him on the shoulder could be a distraction, I use it myself sometimes to help me more than the horse but my jumping instructor cites it as the worlds greatest evil.
Other than that, hang on tight and good luck!

LauraBR

Visit site
That's the ONLY thing I can with total certainty say I'm not doing- my instructor tells me off for it lol! He CHARGES jumps (confidence thing I think)- I have been working hard to sit up and steady him when he tanks from too far off- I then let him go 6-7 strides before the jump and he FLIES. He still goes in too fast when he's not sure but I'd rather that than a stop
confused.gif
When he's flying you know he means business and is going over lol!

Skhosu

Visit site
lol. sounds a lot like mine (except he doesn't know what stopping means!!)
Don't take this the wrong way, but would it be better to concentrate on the SJ and flatwork, and get them perfecT? What is he like in them?
Maybe get scary stuff to work with in the sandschol every day so he knows he goes every time?

LauraBR

Visit site
That's the wierd thing- he has obviously done LOADS of SJ- knows his job totally, never stops, can turn on a sixpence and isn't fazed no matter what filler you put in front of him. Flatwork- lazy toad, not interested. Basic flatwork is good once you get his engine switched on. Of course neither SJ or flatwork are perfect but there is nothing lacking in these respects to point to his xc issues? At home we have some xc jumps around our outdoor arena and I take him round courses of mixed coloured poles and rustics- jumps the poles and backs off the logs etc.

He CAN do it, we went clear last weekend xc... I would be reluctant to drop the xc altogether.

LauraBR

Visit site
Really appreciate your advice. Perhaps it is just a case of hard graft and persistence with him?

Got off today and my hair was dripping with sweat lol and when I took my BP off my t shirt was wet through too lol! HARD WORK!

LauraBR

Visit site
I'm ambidextrous for everything apart from writing (leftie)- can even paint with both hands
laugh.gif
yes, I'm a wierdo.

Do wonder whether the running out left is a symptom of something I'm doing- or maybe he's a leftie? No idea.

teapot

Visit site
Just asking a friend, as she taught someone who's horse kept running out to the right and rider was right handed. I'll get back to you

As it's something I get picked up when riding, I've got classic faults that only a leftie would have for example

Bossanova

Visit site
Welcome to the world of tbs
tongue.gif

It sounds like he is taking the mick big time. I would, however, take him right back to basics xc and jump tiny things, loads of praise, repeat etc so that he learns that it's fun again. It may be helpful to have someone on the ground- Moon will turn through her left shoulder and to start with when we had nappy bits, someone stood on her left with a lunge whip changed her mind and now she doesnt do it

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
What about trying a brush it has worked beautifully on my horse who hangs right and if he is going to run out will do it on the right hand side. It might just give you some extra help.
Also do you ride quite long? Maybe shortening your stirrups will help you when he cat leaps. Just give you a bit more security.

LauraBR

Visit site
He absolutely does take the mick- mixture of that and confidence and the attitude problem resulting from his previous 'pet' existence IMHO.

Silly thing is when he jumps he loves it. He's very stubborn. The other 'weird' thing is- it's not the height of the jump- it's the 'location' or 'type' of jump. He HATES logs of any size yet any kind of pallisade is fine, he jumped several 2"9 (which is very top end of what we are jumping right now- most are 2ft, 2"3-6) pallisade type jumps today BEAUTIFULLY first time, even in the kinds of locations he backs off at (eg into woods).

Log type things with space underneath he doesn't like either, even if they are tiny.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
It looks like a doughnut with body brush type bristles on one side it slots over the bit with the bristles resting against horses cheek/ mouth. So if your horse is heading left the bristles come into play and just get a bit more reaction than totally ignoring you.

Madam_max

Visit site
My SJ is the same, nothing SJ wise bothers her, would jump the moon. Croos country is another matter and she will spook at logs etc. I have given it up as a bad idea. I take her on sponsored ride etc and still jump her, but not competetively. I stick to SJ & dressage, but she is 14 ad I can,t be hassled with it all. Somedays she is good xc others she is like a beast.