Fell running cancicross hip belt

vallin

Visit site
Due to the MiLs ill health Daisy dog is back with us for the foreseeable which means we'll be doing more fell running/cancicross. Up till now I've just used a DIY lead-cum-hipbelt made out of climbing rope and a couple of carribenas, however it's not dynamic and it's not padded, which meant after 10km yesterday it wasn't great!

Am looking at the ruffwear system but wondering if there are other options that are equally versitile but cheaper...thoughts?

V

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I have a Showmaster waist belt from Hookseurope, which I use on days when I feel for letting my 3 bitches run besides my box trike for awhile (they ride in the box most rides, though).
Even 3 quite well-behaved dogs, does require a fair bit of multi-tasking to handle together with a big box trike (at least for me). I can do it while holding their leads in one of my hands, but my type of box trike isn't meant to be driven single-handedly, so the waist belt really helps.

https://www.hookseurope.com/dog/activation-exercise/dog-handler/waist-belt-for-lead

vallin

Visit site
Some cheaper (ish) options here ...

https://sportypaws.co.uk/product-category/walkingcanicross/belts/?v=79cba1185463

You could also check out Musher's Exchange on Facebook where you sometimes find folk selling them.

How's your girl doing in harness?

Have joined the facebook group and will have a look at sporty paws.

She is doing well, though generally prefers to run beside rather than in front (the opposite of normal leading!) but enjoying being out and about. Did a nice 10km run on Sunday in the Breacon Beacons which she loved :) Hopefully if she is here for a while she'll build up a bit more fitness and we can do some longer distances (the MiL has cancer so we are in the process of sorting out permanent home for her, either with us going to day care every day - less than idea and £££ - or possibly with my OHs aunts who have a golden retriever she gets on really well with and are retired).

46440592_10210454079223118_1337524443143995392_n.jpg

And just 'cos she's pretty :D
45621529_10210389388325886_8015260700710535168_n.jpg

Littlefloof

Visit site
+1 for the Zero DC Speedy. I find the nappy style more comfortable than a climbing harness style belt, but I have also used a Manmat belt which was both serviceable and (relatively) cheap. Ruffwear gear is expensive compared to Zero DC, Non-Stop, Manmat and others.

vallin

Visit site
+1 for the Zero DC Speedy. I find the nappy style more comfortable than a climbing harness style belt, but I have also used a Manmat belt which was both serviceable and (relatively) cheap. Ruffwear gear is expensive compared to Zero DC, Non-Stop, Manmat and others.

The manmat was another one I'd considered, can you take the leg straps off? And also, where does the lead attach? (stupid question, I know!)

ETA: just watched a video about fitting the manmat one, don't think the crotch straps will be ideal for longer wear times

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
If you're after a plain waist belt, I've been using a Nordkyn neoprene one daily for almost nine years now and it still looks like the day I bought it:

https://nordkyn.com/product/2-wide-skijoring-belt-4/

I wouldn't want to use it for running in though, it would ride up around your waist instead of sitting on your hips. Honestly the nappy style belt with leg loops is a revelation and very comfortable.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
the ones without leg straps spin and are very annoying. the ruffler belt is a good belt but not many canicrossers recommend it for running-nearly everyone round here uses the Non-stop running belt. I have a Manmat which I bought in the beginning but the Non-stop is much better once you get used to the fit. I can't claim to fell run but all my hikes/runs involve scrambling up and down steep banks, dykes and trees etc.

vallin

Visit site
the ones without leg straps spin and are very annoying. the ruffler belt is a good belt but not many canicrossers recommend it for running-nearly everyone round here uses the Non-stop running belt. I have a Manmat which I bought in the beginning but the Non-stop is much better once you get used to the fit. I can't claim to fell run but all my hikes/runs involve scrambling up and down steep banks, dykes and trees etc.

Hmm, interesting, maybe I'll speak to the people Lev suggested and go and try one.

{97702}

Visit site
I use a Zero DC Speedy belt (nappy style) fitted by Emily at K9 Trail Time who Lev linked upthread. :)

Lol I didn’t realise you used them too BC - all the (mad!) canicrossers round me swear by them 😊 they keep trying to persuade me to move to the dark side with Millie.....!!!!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site

I prefer to have the Showmaster I use, sitting somewhere between my hip bones and my waist when I'm bicycling, and already the first time I used it, I felt that it sat so steady that I stopped, and unbuckled the leg straps. But perhaps it simply gets a good grip on the clothes I use when bicycling.