Fence walking

dawnsuth

Visit site
My 25 year old retired mare started fence walking about four months ago. She has her own field next door to another horse and is out daytime and in at night or in bad weather. Before now she loved to go outside but is getting more agitated all the time and has cut up her field badly. Contented once inside. Any ideas please?

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Does she do it when turned out in the same paddock with other horses? Has she always been on individual turnout? Did anything significant happen four months ago?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
IME, if she has enough to eat in the field (hay in field if necessary), it is a sign of stress.

That could be stress of being isolated, stress of not being able to see well, stress with ulcers...

If I had one fence walking they would come in at midday or just before they became agitated, until I found the cause. After a vet check, I would try turnout with another.

dawnsuth

Visit site
She’s always been turned out on her own but very near others. Large field with plenty grass. Will get her sight checked. Sometimes in the stable she doesn’t come for her Apple (unusual) but eats it when I drop it on the floor makes me wonder about her sight. If it is her sight what would be best practise?Thanks everyone

Archangel

Visit site
My mare started fence walking in her later years, she was always a calm horse and in hindsight I think it started when she developed PPID.