Fencing-£12.50 metre for sawn post and 3 rails, is this expensive??!!!

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Hi

Any of you guys who have had fencing recently, is £12.50 expensive for post and rail??!! Sawn post and sawn 3 rails?!

We have had 2 quote, both the same but both guys know each other. Can anyone advise of someone cheaper but good in Somerset?! (chard)

Thanks!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Sounds a bit dear to me but I haven't had new timber prices through lately. We charge £4 per metre to erect three rails, to hang gate is £80; that's minus materials of course. Mind you, each job has to be quoted on its merits; if you have something like sandstone on your land that has to be taken into account, so have you anything awkward like that and is it just straight runs? Can you not get quotes from further afield?
Also, word of mouth recommendation is by far the best type so ask anywhere that has had a tidy, professional job done similar to what you want for other names too; most people are happy to recommend if the work is up to scratch. You'll soon find who to avoid even if they are a mite cheaper!
grin.gif

wench

Visit site
Well i work in the building industry and we pay between £9-10 (not inc VAT) for 1.8m high 3 rail fencing, without concrete foundations.

I would say thats about right, providing it's including VAT

miller

Visit site
Sounds about the same as we were qouted, we bought the materials and did it ourselves (hired the guy who built our stables mini digger and post hole borer for £50/weekend) we managed to do 150m in a weekend (inc 1 gate) but it was hard work!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
We have a post and rail fence at the end of our garden. It's about 7 metres, and the wood cost about... £10 as we sawed and sandblasted it ourselves. We only paid for it to be put up. It was set in concrete, though, so I'm not sure that'd be suitable.

OWLIE185

Visit site
The quote is fine but make sure that they paint the posts and rails before they assemble it. (They will claim it has been treated but I can assure you that painting it will make it last very much longer). Also ensure they drill out the holes in the rails before nailing them on as this prevents the wood on the rails from splitting prematurely. At least every third post should be concreted in to the ground.