Fencing options and cost

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Hi, looking for recommendations on fencing. I have post and railed one side of the field near the road, but have decided to use round posts and some form of tape for the rest as it's quicker. I have a bit of 40mm electric tape, but I have seen smart looking fencing ("poly tape"?) or someone mentioned hippo fencing, which I have googled quickly.

I am sectioning the field in to 3, and including two walk ways which I won't electrify anyway (don't fancy a horse swinging their bum and us both getting zapped!) but ideally I will electrify the boundaries.

Any idea on some smart , safe and strong fencing, and the cost? I need about 2000m worth for now, as I'm looking to use 3 strands of "rail".

Thanks!

Mike007

Visit site
Best stuff I have seen is the Horse rail electric fence . We have it at chez Bob the notacob . On or off it works. Far better than tape ,but the Irish company currently selling in the uk are crap. I have just put up a load and frankly the irish lot were as much use as a chocolate teaspoon.Am thinking that I could do a lot better job.

fawaz

Visit site
Definitely the horse rail! It gives if a horse runs into it but doesn't break. No stand off necessary for the electric component and you could even do your walk way as the electric charge will only bite if the horse leans over or under. Its strong and looks neat and is easy to install and very cheap.

Here is the link to the Aussie website for information purposes...

https://horserail.com/australia/

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Round posts are rubbish. Squares with 3 electric plain wires (normal steel fence wire with tube line insulators) are the best horse fence you can put up. Forget rails and expensive horse fences. Keep it simple. Make sure it has a charge through it and they will never go near it.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Horse rail is pretty much what I had in mind! how do I get hold of it in the UK? and any idea on cost ? Round posts are convenient for now as they are easier to knock in and we are in a bit of a rush ! We are using the square posts near the road, and will replace the round ones if we have any problems with them. Unfortunately had a nasty incident with wire and am very reluctant to put it in the field again, but I can see it would be stronger. The side near the road and next door's field is post and railed 5ft high and will have electric wire running along the top.

Thanks

fawaz

Visit site
Horse rail is pretty much what I had in mind! how do I get hold of it in the UK? and any idea on cost ? Round posts are convenient for now as they are easier to knock in and we are in a bit of a rush ! We are using the square posts near the road, and will replace the round ones if we have any problems with them. Unfortunately had a nasty incident with wire and am very reluctant to put it in the field again, but I can see it would be stronger. The side near the road and next door's field is post and railed 5ft high and will have electric wire running along the top.

Thanks

The horse rail here is really cheap ($5 AUD per meter plus fittings) so I imagine it would be cheap in the UK as well considering its imported to Australia?

Found a UK link for you!

http://www.horserail.org.uk/

popsdosh

Visit site
The horse rail here is really cheap ($5 AUD per meter plus fittings) so I imagine it would be cheap in the UK as well considering its imported to Australia?

Found a UK link for you!

http://www.horserail.org.uk/

Yes that system was designed by a friend of mine 35 years ago and sold to many studs etc a company called caledonian fencing . It soon lost favour for various reasons the main one being chewing as at that time there was no means of electrifying it.

Mike007

Visit site

Thanks

Its not so much the shape of the post that is important ,rather the timber .A lot of round posts sold are cheap softwood from Estonia. The pressure treatment is the same for all posts but is not good since they banned half the ingredients. Red wood posts are a much more durable alternative as the timber is more naturally resistant. Expect a life of about 7 years for a pressure treated softwood post. The good thing about horserail is that replacing posts isn't too difficult.It also pays to dip the tips of the posts in creosote. What area are you ?

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Ah yes understand that Mike007, I will have a look at the site when I get back on the computer thanks :) we are using the square posts tomorrow for the next boundary fence, and then post and rail inside for the walk way. I don't really like using electric tape but it will have to go up short term while we get other fencing installed . I am in Leicestershire
Thanks