Fencing...

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have normal electric rope fencing (yes I'd rather have post and rail but it's not a perfect world) which is probably 4ft6 high.

I also have a two year old highland who seems to think it is fun to jump over said fencing and I've found him free range in the crop field next door for the second time tonight. The first time I had thought he had damaged the fencing or achieved some feat of escaping genius, but I've since checked all the fencing and the only explanation is that he must have jumped out. He has company and forage in the field so it's not a question of management, per se.

So, clearly I need to do something with regard to fencing. It's not my field so I can't just put post and rail up. So my alternatives would be to increase the height of the electric that is currently there, or to set up a second line of fencing a few feet inside the fence to discourage his fence hopping? Or am I missing something obvious?

jaffa cakes and wine for any helpful answers :eek:

JFTDWS

Visit site
He's certainly thick skinned but it's three strands of rope which are not showing signs of decreased tension - he would have to be able to suck himself in like a fox or re-tension the rope once he's through :p

JFTDWS

Visit site
just for you, rhino...

IMG_6460.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site
I must be feeling really brave to put it up in here :eek:

(I just love Fergie in it though :eek:)

BTW, if I still had that fencing I wouldn't have a problem :rolleyes:

JFTDWS

Visit site
As I say, he physically wouldn't fit through it - though I'm sure he would if he could...

He does have a history of jumping out of places. As a 6 month old he tried to jump a 5 bar gate and very nearly succeeded...

JFTDWS

Visit site
lovely photo - do you do reenactments, I have some friends that do mediavel stuff on horse back and others that do redcoats/napoleonic

thanks... I'd love to do stuff like that. I might look a bit odd on my little pony though :eek: