Feral Cat Appeal

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Sorry to be a pain folks..

Feral Cat Appeal on behalf of Fur And Feathers
Lisa Hunt of F and F has been contacted by a 'pest control' company regarding a feral cat situation at a business park. The Pest Control company are trying to get on top of an situation that has got out of hand. Sadly the usual outcome for cats like this is a one way trip to the vets. Fur and Feathers are looking for stable yards, or farms or any other set up that may require a 'vermin control operative' in a feline form! So far all the cats have been healthy. They will be neutered and spayed and then will be looking for homes. Fur and Feathers will work closely with anyone offering a home to one of these cats so as to ensure a long and useful life for them. If you think you can help please, please contact Lisa asap so as we can get homes ready for when they are caught so as to make the transition as stress free as possible for them.

www.furandfeatherswythall.weebly.com

FairyLights

Visit site
The web site has no land line phone number or address. Also the adoption fees seem quite expensive. Is this outfit legitimate?

WoopsiiD

Yes this 'outfit' it is is Legit!!
We have no land line number as we have no electricity or means to have a land line.
The mobile is always on and the only landline number we would have is the owners home number and for obvious reasons she doesn't want that broadcast everywhere.
As for the expensive adoption fees....
Vaccinations-£30-40
Spay/Neuter-£30+
Wormer for duration of stay-£4 per month
Flea Treatment for duration of stay-£7

Average stay 2-3 months as no-one leaves unless they are vaccinated and spayed or neutered.

Mil1212-we are Wythall West Mids!

s4sugar

Visit site
Find a different vet - total vet cost should be in the region of £50 for a block booking & all done within a month.

Food & Litter £5 per day! Sorry but I run a boarding cattery and this amounts to less than £2 per cat per day using premium foods. If this is full boarding say so but don't B******T.

Last edited:

twiglet84

Visit site
I dont see why they shouldnt charge to cover their costs.

The cats protection we work with give NO cats out for free! A donation has to be made and they have a figure of about £80 i believe so as to help with neutering, flea/worm tx, microchip and vaccs. Also FeLV/FIV blood testing. Why should they be free??

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I dont see why they shouldnt charge to cover their costs.

The cats protection we work with give NO cats out for free! A donation has to be made and they have a figure of about £80 i believe so as to help with neutering, flea/worm tx, microchip and vaccs. Also FeLV/FIV blood testing. Why should they be free??

Well if you see my profile you will see I am a fosterer for the Cats Protection and the last 2 ferrals were given free.

i now have another 3 ferrals in.

our domestic cat fee is £ 60

£80 is a lot for a cat despite jabs inoculations and neutering since most CPL branches use a handful of vets which some do reduced prices for all necessary treatments

Last edited:

WoopsiiD

We don't charge £80?
We charge £55?

Ferals are 'free'-just a sign over by the new owner that says they understand that the cat has had a 'limited' vet check-i.e no bloods taken that sort of thing.
s4sugar-I find your comment rude! Where have I BS'ed?
I posted a request like I was asked too?
Its easy enough to say do a block booking but we don't know who or what will be coming in and when!
The vet we use does give us a discount but even with that it wouldn't cover costs.
The shortest stay a cat gets with us would be 1 month. In that month they will spend a couple of days getting used to us and rescue life.
When we feel they have settled they are off to the vets for a chop. Three days later its back for post op and first jab, next jab is three weeks later.
Since F and F isn't a big charity a lot of vets refused to do any discount as they already worked with the CPL or another charity.
I can assure everyone of you on here now that no profit is made on any cat!
We do have to charge as we have overheads.
Not one person who phoned up last year for us to take their pet offered a donation.
If you don't want to help fine.
But really bitching on a thread like this is seriously uncalled for!

WoopsiiD

Find a different vet - total vet cost should be in the region of £50 for a block booking & all done within a month.

Food & Litter £5 per day! Sorry but I run a boarding cattery and this amounts to less than £2 per cat per day using premium foods. If this is full boarding say so but don't B******T.

Can I ask where you got the £5 a day from??
I've checked the web site and it says £10 for 7 days....Thats £1.42 ish a day and we feed premium food too...

WoopsiiD

Don't bother-I found it.
I have no idea where that sum came from but the person who runs the website for us doesn't actually do the hands on side so I can only assume that this number was plucked from the air or a guesstimate.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My branch of the CPL with ferrals once you have caught them in the pen :D
are all microchip - vaccinated - wormed - flea - neutered and BLOOD TESTED
Before they are re homed

I also run a boarding for cats and I charge £ 7.50 per day per cat

Last edited:

WoopsiiD

Well done to your branch.
Its not standard procedure here-infact CPL were approached by the 'Pest Control' company and asked if they would take them in.
They said NO
Pest Control Company contacted RSPCA at its new million pound centre and asked if they would take them in.
They said NO

F and F were contacted when the vet who was asked by the Pest Control to pts suggested F and F.

Now, I don't mean to sound rude but if you are not going to help then why continue to post and say what your CPL does, or what how much you charge???

We have NO WHERE NEAR the money that CPL and RSPCA have. the rescue was started in March. For the first few months we paid out of our own pockets.
The only option given by the CPL and RSPCA was to destroy them.
Where is your branch Leviathan? Would you ask if they could take in 15 or so please?

WoopsiiD

Thank You Noel.
Luckily an appeal on another site was much more fruitful than this.

15 have been secured places so far.
One of the major problems is that no knows how many are there for sure!
We have been pleasantly surprised that a fair few of them appear to already be spayed/neutered.
I hope they were lost cats that found each other but the likelyhood is that manner were abandoned. :(

s4sugar

Visit site
We don't charge £80?
We charge £55?

Ferals are 'free'-just a sign over by the new owner that says they understand that the cat has had a 'limited' vet check-i.e no bloods taken that sort of thing.
s4sugar-I find your comment rude! Where have I BS'ed?
I posted a request like I was asked too?
Its easy enough to say do a block booking but we don't know who or what will be coming in and when!
The vet we use does give us a discount but even with that it wouldn't cover costs.
The shortest stay a cat gets with us would be 1 month. In that month they will spend a couple of days getting used to us and rescue life.
When we feel they have settled they are off to the vets for a chop. Three days later its back for post op and first jab, next jab is three weeks later.
Since F and F isn't a big charity a lot of vets refused to do any discount as they already worked with the CPL or another charity.
I can assure everyone of you on here now that no profit is made on any cat!
We do have to charge as we have overheads.
Not one person who phoned up last year for us to take their pet offered a donation.
If you don't want to help fine.
But really bitching on a thread like this is seriously uncalled for!
I clicked the link and then the fees button - http://furandfeatherswythall.weebly.com/fees.html

Inflating costs of keep? As I said - put what it is for as this is not food and litter as specified. Don't B******t as this will not win you any support.

s4sugar

Visit site
I was at a cat show yesterday and a campaign to have vets make a small tattoo when spaying a cat or dog is on the cards.

This should eventually save a lot of unnecessary operations & time in rehoming centres.

scots

Visit site
The cereals on our yard were done for free - no vaccinations as its not likely they gonna get a booster as you need a live trap to catch the ******s! And when neutered they snipped the end of ear off so you knew which ones had been done - think that was thru cpl

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The cereals on our yard were done for free - no vaccinations as its not likely they gonna get a booster as you need a live trap to catch the ******s! And when neutered they snipped the end of ear off so you knew which ones had been done - think that was thru cpl

what do you mean true CPL??

yes they do snip the ears for real ferrals returning to the wild but they do try and domesticate them, so they will microchip neuter and vaccinate them as the next owners during the following year might be able to catch them and keep up the boosters. They ARE flead and wormed at the same time.

WoopsiiD

I clicked the link and then the fees button - http://furandfeatherswythall.weebly.com/fees.html

Inflating costs of keep? As I said - put what it is for as this is not food and litter as specified. Don't B******t as this will not win you any support.

Please read my added reply before your post!
I did say that I had found the page with the costs and as I have no input on the website I did not know where these sums had come from before you start throwing your accusations of BS around.
I don't expect an apology.....

The ferals have all now been re-homed.
A fee was never asked for these ferals, so infact what cost ever had to do with it I don't know.

Levitian-I believe the poster replies THRU the CPL (through) not TRUE.

Now as they have been rehomed, I suggest the pair of you jump down from your soapboxes before you fall down.
x

scots

Visit site
what do you mean true CPL??

yes they do snip the ears for real ferrals returning to the wild but they do try and domesticate them, so they will microchip neuter and vaccinate them as the next owners during the following year might be able to catch them and keep up the boosters. They ARE flead and wormed at the same time.

Yeah fairly sure was local cpl - they are farm feral cats and no chance of taming them. They do get fed but catch rats, mice, rabbits, moles etc! But you can only catch or touch one if caught in a live trap.

scots

Visit site
The cats had been breeding for years at the farm and the cpl offered to do for free - gave live traps etc and as each at was caught took them they did the biz then they snipped ears and we literally released back onto farm - now still got 10 feral cats but no more babies!!!!! :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Scots-they probably did come from the CPL.
The CPL closest to us will catch and neuter but certainly don't blood test, microchip or vaccinate.
It would appear that the HQ and website know nothing about this 'domesticating' of them either.

http://www.cats.org.uk/feral-neutering

Well I don't think that can be right the CPL not blood testing them.:confused: That should be a necessity certainly is with my local CPL

Last edited:

WoopsiiD

I'm afraid our local branch will spay/neuter any bought in but then return them to the person who reported them with a snip in their ear to show that they have been done.

Basically F and F were called on the off chance by the chap who was contracted to remove the cats from an industrial estate.
His instructions were to round them up and if the RSPCA or the CPL wouldn't take them then they were to be taken to the nearest vet to be pts.
He phoned saying that he couldn't justify taking otherwise healthy cats to the vets.
The arrangement is F and F find homes and the pest control tell us how many they have caught. The catch them, a vet deems them healthy and they then drop them off where hopefully the person who is re-homing them is waiting.
No fee's charged, a quick changeover with the new 'owner' signing paperwork to confirm they will look after them and seek medical help if needed and a photo of cat.
Really F and F are being used as a go-between to try and give them a chance.
The first one went yesterday and the new 'owner' actually thinks that she may be a pet who has been abandoned and had a few hard years as she is a bit too friendly to be a 'true' feral.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well then they could be and most probably are putting FIV and FELV cats back into circulation. We never put back out FElV and FIV cats .

The whole point of the bloods is to remove cats who have blood disorders and treat where ness. if they are not tested leukemia and other viral diseases cannot be treated.

superpony

Visit site
The feral cpl cats at my work arnt blood tested, vaccinated or flea/wormed either. They are neutered, have the ears clipped and are then released back. Glad to hear you have found homes for them all :)

s4sugar

Visit site
I think people are confusing ferals being trapped, neutered and returned to the same place with those being moved away.
The ear tipping to denote neutering is pretty standard and also a visual guide if any new cats arrive.
These cats are not usually tested.

Cats being relocated should be tested, neutered if negative & PTS if not. Vaccinations are an optional procedure given that the majority of "much loved" pet cats are never vaccinated.

Please read my added reply before your post!
I did say that I had found the page with the costs and as I have no input on the website I did not know where these sums had come from before you start throwing your accusations of BS around.
I don't expect an apology.....

Good as you won't get one. I was called away while making the post which was started before you posted again and made the comment based on what was clearly printed. I won't expect an apology from you either even though I was correct.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I think people are confusing ferals being trapped, neutered and returned to the same place with those being moved away.
The ear tipping to denote neutering is pretty standard and also a visual guide if any new cats arrive.
These cats are not usually tested.

Cats being relocated should be tested, neutered if negative & PTS if not. Vaccinations are an optional procedure given that the majority of "much loved" pet cats are never vaccinated.

Good as you won't get one. I was called away while making the post which was started before you posted again and made the comment based on what was clearly printed. I won't expect an apology from you either even though I was correct.

My branch of CPL blood test all cats once they are caught .

We microchip and blood test and neuter. The two last year (one was really bad) were neutered - blood test and microchip. The were adopted by a farm they were vaccinated and it was up to the new owner if they wanted to continue the booster next year.

Another group there were 10 ferral, all were caught eventually all had the usual tests . Farm said they wanted 3 back. We returned two of them after the checks done bloods microchip etc but the last one (an old tom) was FIV positive he was not returned.

The trouble if you don't blood test (any cat) is that FIV will continue to spread, and even if you do (so called return them) if that FIV cat is returned to the wild it could infect any domesticated cat it bites or fights with,

Last edited: