Feral Cats & Neutering

Amaretto

Visit site
There are 2 young cats on our yard, both female who need to be neutered to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

They are quite wild and it would be a mission to catch them!

Could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to subsidised/free neutering, as they don't actually belong to anybody (they've just decided to live on our yard as pest control!)?

Are there any schemes or similar for this kind of situation?

I'm in Lancs, near Manchester.

Many thanks.

legaldancer

Visit site
You need to call the Cats Protection League.

When I was in danger of becoming a mad old cat women when living in London I managed to round up the ones at the bottom of our garden and get them spayed free of charge.

The CPL will either send some interesting ladies out to you or will lend you a trap to catch them yourself which is what I did. The trap just catches them in a cage like structure, it doesn't hurt them.

Some vets are used by the CPL for free spaying, but hopefully they can sort this out for you. The cats are then returned to the original site with a little V shape cut out of one ear to make sure they don't get "done" again!

Cross posted but CPL the way to go.

guesstimation

Visit site
Cpl are great they provided me with a cage and I had to use sardines as bait! I got 3 of the many living near me but they then needed cage back, they always fell for the sardines in fact one boy came back for more despite what had happened to him previously! I then had to drive them to vets in the morning and pick up very unhappy cats after work!

Vets charged 50 each which Cpl will pay.

Amaretto

Visit site
Next question...what happens if either of the girls are pregnant? Would the vet check beforehand before opening them up?

I think the baby one has come into season as she's bleeding a little. But the older one is probably 18 months old and she may have caught. Hope not...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Cats Protection League will sometimes offer vouchers.

^ this

I am a foster for the cats protection . They will give you a voucher and even a trap to catch them or they might even do it for you come down lay a trap.

Its what we do here then return them if the barn / yard want to keep them

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Next question...what happens if either of the girls are pregnant? Would the vet check beforehand before opening them up?

I think the baby one has come into season as she's bleeding a little. But the older one is probably 18 months old and she may have caught. Hope not...

Yes we always take them scan them for chips and check for pregnancies if they are preggo they will prob keep them till kittens are weaned , then spay mums and return them to you microchip ed as well

I have two ferals here waiting for homes

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
they will spey, and abort any unwanted pregnancies. i have never spotted one of my queens bleeding ... are you sure they are as feral as you say they are? 2 cat speys at normal rates will only be around £35/per cat. please dont abuse the CPL.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
they will spey, and abort any unwanted pregnancies. i have never spotted one of my queens bleeding ... are you sure they are as feral as you say they are? 2 cat speys at normal rates will only be around £35/per cat. please dont abuse the CPL.

CPL will always offer to neuter we do it for anyone , they will not abort a pregnancy it goes against our beliefs and policy

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Not only are they strays OP said they are wild , mostly likely born to a previous wild cat which are called ferral.

These 2 ferrals i have in my care one you can stroke but only once caught and put into basket other than that she growls and hisses at you when you feed

the boy runs round like a maniac he tolerates me now to feed but if i make any approach to catch him or touch him ( they are in pens ) he runs round like he has had a bee sting up his jacksy , cannot catch him. I had trouble getting them to vet.:rolleyes:

I had ferrals hanging on ceiling of the pen before.

These two were originally caught by humane trap .

The place where they came from wanted to keep two.. These two were neutered and chipped flea'd and wormed and returned to him the rest spread around the fosters inc me.

also the CPL do get discount rate at vets.

touchstone

Visit site
I had a pregnant feral turn up about six months ago. She was in a terrible state, starving and covered in lice. She also has very short legs and is unable to jump up any heights. She was living in a neighbours empty flower pot.

After feeding her and getting her used to coming regularly I managed to trap her in this trap:- http://www.sam-turner.co.uk/store/stv-rabbit-cage-trap.html which works for small cats.

I then kept her in a spare bedroom while she had her kittens and had her spayed when they were 6 weeks. The kittens were well handled and I rehomed them at ten weeks as pets, keeping one for the mother and us. She is now able to be stroked and seems quite happy with the run of the house.

If it takes a while to get a trap from the CPL I'd recommend getting your own and getting vouchers from the CPL to neuter, although I didn't bother with vouchers.

guesstimation

Visit site

Normally they just abort them I believe (this is what I was told when taking mine in), if quite far gone not so sure. I was told if they were showing signs of expressing milk it means they probably have kittens somewhere or are very due so won't do it but otherwise it's abortion

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Normally they just abort them I believe (this is what I was told when taking mine in), if quite far gone not so sure. I was told if they were showing signs of expressing milk it means they probably have kittens somewhere or are very due so won't do it but otherwise it's abortion

If the CPL are involved they will NOT abort them.:mad:

OP get the CPL involved its the best for you and the cats/ kittens

Jake10

Visit site
The cats are then returned to the original site with a little V shape cut out of one ear to make sure they don't get "done" again!.

Hmm one of my neutered cats went missing for a while and came back with a V in his ear. I always though it was because he'd been fighting.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
9 years ago we got our two cats from the CPL as 13week old kittens. Their mother got pregnant by a feral cat and her owners didn't have the expertise to deal with pregnancy!

They are the two coolest cats in the universe, and our friends rehomed two of their brothers! Can't rate the CPL highly enough! The cats had all their vaccinations done up to 13 weeks, and the CPL even offered us vouchers to get the neutered and spayed when the time came- we didn't take them up on that offer but it was a lovely gesture!!

We got in contact with the CPL and borrowed one of their live capture traps to catch a horrid feral that was casing chaos in the village, called 'The Tabby'. We didn't catch the Tabby, but we did catch a hedgehog and her family once (released after 15 mins in the trap!), the next door neighbours cat once and ours too many times to mention!

The traps are very easy to use, and very safe for the animals- if you can get them in there!

scarymare

Visit site
CPL are ace. I've had vouchers for 6 now. Mind you I did go an buy my own trap as theirs were out last time I needed them. 2 have refused to go in but by various cunning plans they are now neutered. Wouldn't be without any of them (although they do pee on my hay and rugs if its raining which is annoying)

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
Another vote for CPL.

When we moved into our house 12 years ago we inherited 2 feral adult females both with kittens and at 2 feral toms. We found the females and kittens whilst emptying an old hay barn - don't know who was more surpised, us or the poor little kittens!

The CPL were brilliant, loaned us 2 cat traps and subsidised the neutering. We paid £10 towards each cat - ended up with 15 being done by the time the kittens were old enough and we had manged to catch them.

One of the Toms was in a pretty poor state (he had been fighting for dominance with the other one) but CPL cleaned him up and all was well.

We were happy to take them all back and look after them as yard cats. A couple of them have become very cuddly, wouldn't be without them but couldn't have done it without the CPL, no way could we afford the full cost of neutering 15 feral cats!

Always happy to donate to them - fantastic people.