Ferrel Foal - Please like me!

Witchy

Visit site
I've been befriending a youngster that will be 2 in April but I guess he was forced onto a lorry, herded into a pen, forced onto another lorry and then ended up at my yard.

Basically I've taken him on and have been working with him for a few weeks. He's now happy with my presence in his paddock with his other 3 ferrel friends, knows his name and greedily takes hay from me.

I've now started to try and get us closer by actually touching him but he seems really like "seriously don't touch me, its the last thing I want!". His ears go back and he sometime threatens to kick.

Yesterday I had him in a stable with his 'ridden' friend, who I was stroking and fussing and rubbing all over to show that I'm no threat. I'd then slowly walk over to him sideways with my eyes on the ground and try to get near him. I can get a metre close to him without any food but if I try any further he either finds a gap to move away or he does his "sod off, get away" face.

How can I work this, should I just dump myself in the middle of the stable with just him and me and just wait. Wait for him to come to me out of curiosity??

I've got the patience of a saint and all summer to get this little bugger to like me but any 'next step' guidance from you would be gratefully received.

One of his mates lets me stroke his nose already, maybe he likes me better and I should let the pony choose me rather than choose the one I want..... (sorry thinking aloud here)....

Last edited:

miss_bird

Visit site
i spent hours with my lad, let him have a bit of hard feed, and each day got closer to the bucket, till i was holding the bucket, then i moved my thumb a bit till i was stroking his nose, eventually i was able to stroke him whilst eating, it took time and patience, but mine is now like a pet dog folows me everywhere and is a real mummies boy.
Just to add this boy was a 3 year old unhandled 16hh stallion

Witchy

Visit site
ah right, yeah maybe I should use the bucket of feed to get closer, he stays with me if I give him food - I gave him a bucket of feed yesterday on the floor and he didn't know what to make of it, eagerly kicked it about the place and then realised it spilled food everywhere.

When it was empty I stroked his nose with the handle of it and he didn't mind.

Maybe he has a bad memory of people approaching from the side/back and now associates this with being herded.... hmm maybe will try from the front and work my way to the back rather than bum to nose??

Thanks for your reply MB.

riding_high

Visit site
i used to just sit in the stable with my ferral pony with a bucket of grass nuts on my lap, he eventually got braver. started out with him stretching as far as he could to reach a nut and then he would get closer each day. after a while i was able to actually stroke him.
i would hold the nut in my right hand (furthest away from him) and hold my left hand out so that when he took the treat i would be touching him for a split second, he soon learnt that my hand wasn't a threat and i could scratch him on his chest. i think that was the break through as he loved having his chest scratched and when it came to catching him in the field i could hold my hand out and say 'itch', he would walk up to my hand.
there are plenty of ways to do it but it does depend on your surrounding, your patience and timing.