Fetlock/Pastern Arthritis

Cubbini

Visit site
Hi all

I’m looking for some advice please. Would you knowingly buy a pony that has confirmed and diagnosed arthritis of the fetlocks/pasterns (X-ray confirmation). Would this put you off buying? Also what are your personal experiences with owning a horse that has this condition including treatment and £cost?

The horse is to be ridden as a pony club allrounder SJ, XC, dressage, hacking and possibly some BE. Ponies age is 9 and currently jumping regularly 1m and 1.10m.

Thanks in advance.

Visit site
Yes it would put me off - especially if you are buying something to jump. The fetlocks take a lot of strsin when jumping and ther is no guarantee he would stay sound with the work you require him to do. You wouod also struggle to get insurance cover as they exclude any pre existing conditions. Treatment wise - he may need joints medicating, and there is no guarantee he will react well to then or if they will work. Sorry for the negative response but there are too many sound horses out there without a problem so why put yourself through the heartbreak?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Would you knowingly buy a pony that has confirmed and diagnosed arthritis of the fetlocks/pasterns (X-ray confirmation).

Absolutely not. I would not even loan it unless the owner agreed to pick up any vet costs for the condition.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Got arthritis myself (not in fetlock obv!) Arthritis is only going to go one way I'm afraid, I wouldn't ask my best friend to keep hurting themselves for my fun. Sorry but its a no from me.

Lovely jubbly

Visit site
My horse has been recently diagnosed with arthritis in patterns (side bone) cartrophen and gel injections have helped but she is now a very light hack I would never consider doing more than that and definitely no jumping or tight turns…fast work. I personally wouldn’t buy or loan a horse already diagnosed with it. Also as said above you will struggle to get any insurance. I’m already at £3200 and not finished yet…luckily I can make a claim.