Fetlock swollen? Old Horse

Fools Motto

Visit site
I 'think' the swelling is going down, ever so slightly?! Seems to be more pronounced around the fetlock/pastern area, do you agree?

2012-01-08130153.jpg

He is walking sound (but stiff?)

On more of a plus point, he is beginning to eat up better. :)

fuggly

Visit site
judging by the angle of that hind i am thinking suspensory ligament/ branch damage, i hope not , has it been seen by a vet ? if not it really should

Fools Motto

Visit site
Yes, he has been seen by a vet (but I don't own him, I keep mine at the same place and kinda give this old boy some tlc - he is 31).
The vet is concerned about his quality of life, his owner does admit to knowing he should be pts - a positive step really, but can't quite go ahead with that yet. The horse isn't in serious pain, although quite possibly depressed and unless things don't improve to warrant another vet call out, then things will just continue as there are now. I do think that the leg has gone down a fraction, but it is still clearly swollen. Trying to look for something positiive for Horse ain't I?

fuggly

Visit site
its tough with these oldies , what does the vet think the problem is with the leg, as that would give some idea as to what the owner is up against and whether pts to is an immediate or future prospect

LouandBee

Visit site
Oh, not much you can do I guess but good on you for helping. Would still recommend some painkillers/ anti inflams as a leg that puffy must hurt. you've probably tried all this but how about a bit of turnout or leading out in hand, some cold hosing and maybe bandaging to help with the swelling.
Poor horsey:(

Fools Motto

Visit site
its tough with these oldies , what does the vet think the problem is with the leg, as that would give some idea as to what the owner is up against and whether pts to is an immediate or future prospect

He was living out with mine, but one day it was very swollen and although weight bearing you could hardly touch it. There was a lump on the inside of that hind - possibly self inflicted kick/knock from rolling, or a thorn (was also mentioned a snake bite??) The lump semi burst last week, causing a right mess and smell. That has subsided, still a slight evident bump, can touch it now though and smell has gone. Vet came and gave IV pain killer and 5 day course of AB's. Owner not giving bute, although prescribed as wanted to know 'how painful it really is'. Horse has never been lame, always weight bearing just stiff. He went off his food for a while, just started to re-eat. The really sad thing to me is that he seems so sad/depressed. Love to put him back out with mine for company, but owner saying no to that at the moment.
(would never get a hose pipe near the old lad, he is seriously terrified of hose pipes, and I think to even try would literally give him heart failure - known from previous experience as a 14 yr old, when I had him on loan!)

Last edited:

fuggly

Visit site
re the bute that really should be given as it will help with the imflammation , as you cant hose you could cold clay stay sound is good it has thyme in it, it is safe to use if there is a wound ,or ice under bandages ?