FFS, Two More Police Dogs Left to Die in a Car

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
:mad: i absoliutely agree, on teletext it says that one was a fully trained belgian malinois and the other a german shepherd puppy. i cant believe how uncaring and stupid prople can be, i have been ultra careful with my dogs today, walked them at the crack of dawn and a very short stroll this evening...whoever was responsible needs to be treated very harshly as an example to anyone else who cant be bothered to look after their animals!!!!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Words fail me. Its a pity that pictures such as that don't shock these officers into remembering that they've got two reliant animals in the back of a baking hot car!! Police dogs risk their lives on a daily basis for people who repay them like this.
K x

Last edited:

Dolcé

Visit site
Poor dogs, what a horrible way to go! It sounds as though he had left them early in the morning and didn't expect the heat as from the report he raised the alarm himself and that is why they were found. Having said that it was all over the news how the weekend was going to be very hot so no excuse. We haven't taken our dogs to the yard over the last 2 days because it is so hot travelling in the car, I wouldn't dream of leaving them in it even for a couple of minutes. I had it parked today with all the doors and windows open because I was going out to work and it was still unbearable when I got in. I don't understand how people cannot realise how awful the heat is for the dogs in a car when they must be able to feel it themselves.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
The guy doesn't have a brain :-( idiot, perhaps they should put him in a car and see how long it takes to kill him

slimjim

Visit site
Just read that he left them in the car at about 5am. So around six hours. Who'd leave a puppy, or any dog, in a car for that long, even if it wasn't known that it was going to be a ridiculously hot day.

RIP

Rose Folly

Visit site
This is a disgusting tale, and I have no sympathy for PO Craven, especially as he appears to have already allowed a dog to die in his care.

I cannot comprehend how this happens in the police force. We berate members of the public who do this sort of thing but these people, for God's sake, are highly trained and are meant to be the standard bearers for dog management.

Some years ago I was a Public Monitor of Police Horse and Dog Welfar (think that was how the title went). This body was set up by the Avon & Somerset Constabulary after public outrage when a police dog in training (with another force) was so badly deliberately kicked in its 'training' that it died of its injuries.

While I was deeply impressed with the standards of police care for their horses, I was not so happy about the dogs - partly because of the stressful conditions in which they were kept while on duty, and also because of a certain arrogance I detected in some of the handlers. While I am an experienced dog owner I did not have experience of guard dog training, and in the end a colleague who was more au fait with this line of handling swapped with me and I concentrated on the gees!

Is it something - now I get my head bitten off? - about men? I ask this because there was an item on the news a few weeks ago about a father in Italy who 'forgot' he had his baby daughter in the car, who he was meant to be dropping off at the creche. Instead he drove to work, and only remembered the baby hours later, when she had already died. Is the 'caring' instinct stronger in women, whether it be children or dogs? Would PO Craven's wife, who evidently is a dog handler herself, have ever done thsi? There are a lot of questions to be answered.

The only instance I can recall of a woman having one of these mental balckouts was someone who forgot she had tied her dogs to the two bar (I think) of her car, and then drove off, dragging them behind.

Anyway, I hope the police dump this officer big time. Remorse is all very fine, but it won't bring any of the three dogs back.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
In fairness to any of the dog handlers I know (this guy was a training supervisor I think, not a serving officer) their dogs live at home and are treated fantastically.

One of our old trainers is built like a brick outhouse, is as wide as he is tall (very!) chomps cigars and rides a huge motorbike.
But he still rolled around on the floor like an idiot with his puppy squealing 'Goood girrrrl!' and was always giving us a hard time for not 'playing with' our dogs enough.

A good police/guard/protection dog is trained through play and it is a fun game for the dog, not through cruelty or brutality.
There is no sense in keeping a working dog in stressful conditions/under constant pressure, it is counter productive, many dogs who are that intelligent are also very sensitive and can end up crumbling.
If they don't enjoy their work, then what is the point?! They'll eventually say 'screw this' in one way or another.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I agree with what you are saying CC but as I said on another thread(there have been 3) you would have thought after the first incident guidelines would have been issued. I would have thought if they have to come back to the station for any length of time they should go into kennels automatically.

I dont doubt he was a good trainer but to fail on basic canine care is unforgiveable in my book. The least this guy should get is to be kicked off the dog squad.

I am sure the majority of police dog people are in despair at this incident and are finding it difficult to come to terms with.