Fhoenix Saddle (from Enlightened Equitation) - anyone tried?

Sal_E

Visit site
I'm not looking for a new saddle at the moment, but just wondered if anyone had seen or tried one of these, or indeed own one!

They look very interesting, but I've never seen one 'in the flesh'.

Just wondering...

mrussell

Visit site
I had one for 3 months but found them impossible to balance on. I was also worried that the back edge was causing pressure points (although I understand that wedge shaped panels are now being invented).

The saddle never sat quite right and slipped forward (again, I know a foregirthing system is being introduced).

For the money Id rather have a wow saddle than blow that sort of money on a Ffa - only to find its modified 3 months down the line and youre stuck with a half measure.

pootler

Visit site
I tried one out on loan, should say where you can do this somewhere on the EE site. Basically I paid about 50 quid and was sent one in a box in the post! I tried it out for a few days but to honest it felt so odd I couldn't get to grips with it. Mind you this was a few years ago.

Nikiolola

Visit site
I have one and love it - It took a while to get used to, but it improved my position an awful lot. My horse, who had back problems off a badly-fitting saddle, goes brilliantly in it, and I now find it hard and uncomfortable to ride in anything else now. I appreciate that they are not for every horse, however on this paritcular mare I would never use anything else again. She is much happier in it, and much more comfortable to conventional saddles once you get over the initial 'weirdness'

They do slip a bit on rounder ponies though, having tried it on my mums cob, but if you are balenced it shouldn't really be a problem, nothing that can't be solved with a breastgirth.