Fiat Ducato as horsebox?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Are they any good as a donor vehicle for a 3.5? Seeing a few and they look OK but aren't the normal Renault/Peugeot/Nissan one that is most used. Trying to go and see a three year old very low mileage one on Friday.

sunnyone

Visit site
The Fiat Ducato is a standard for motorhomes in France where hills and mountains abound. The diesel engines are either 2.3 or 3.0. Some people say the 2.3 is slightly underpowered but copes. We have a 3.0 automatic which has had no difficulty at all and we've been to the Alps and Pyrenees this year . I'd be very happy to find one used as a horsebox. Haven't tried to find one though.

ycbm

Visit site
The Fiat Ducato is a standard for motorhomes in France where hills and mountains abound. The diesel engines are either 2.3 or 3.0. Some people say the 2.3 is slightly underpowered but copes. We have a 3.0 automatic which has had no difficulty at all and we've been to the Alps and Pyrenees this year . I'd be very happy to find one used as a horsebox. Haven't tried to find one though.

That's very useful thank you. I live on a one in four hill, so I think I really need the bigger engine. I guess it depends how slight they mean by slight, because going slowly up and down hills with a horse on board isn't an issue, of course :)

They are also standard for motor homes in the UK, just not horseboxes for some reason.

Anyone reading this got any comments on top doors versus one piece top on gas struts? I can't see why I would want doors, as it's two actions to shut them and the passenger door is blocked when it's open. But the one I want to view has doors, so I'd be happy to hear any argument in favour.

Spottyappy

Visit site
That's very useful thank you. I live on a one in four hill, so I think I really need the bigger engine. I guess it depends how slight they mean by slight, because going slowly up and down hills with a horse on board isn't an issue, of course :)

They are also standard for motor homes in the UK, just not horseboxes for some reason.

Anyone reading this got any comments on top doors versus one piece top on gas struts? I can't see why I would want doors, as it's two actions to shut them and the passenger door is blocked when it's open. But the one I want to view has doors, so I'd be happy to hear any argument in favour.
I had one built with doors rather than the one piece. My reaonsing was because we had a tall horse (8' headroom internally) and had he put his head up, he would have hit it on the one piece. So, having 2 doors, meant that would never be an issue.
My box was built on a Vauxhall Movano, loved it and it did about 50mpg. Only sold it because we needed to regularly transport 2, and although it could and I did on odd occasions, it wasn't sitting comfortably with me that I was over weight in the event of being stopped and checked.

ponios

Visit site
I have a fiat Ducato on the recommendation of the coach builder that I used (equihunter- they were great). He believed that they were superior to the Peugeouts and Citroens. Renault and Vauxhall were not options for me as I wanted the ability to uprate to 4.5t once I had taken my 7.5t test.

I live in a very hilly area and carry a 18+ horse and have had no problems. I cant quite remember engine size but I think it is 3.0. Coachbuilder said that if i started to struggle (once uprated and carrying heavier load) that you can have the engines re-mapped to give more power.

With regard to the top door, I went with double doors. As per previous poster it gives more head room. I previously had a one piece (burger van style!) and while I never had any problems with it I felt that pulling it down in one corner put quite a lot of stress on it. I also knew of someone that had the thing come down while loading a horse as the struts failed in the wind.

ycbm

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your help. I bought it, is a cracking little lorry and I'm thrilled with it.