Fibreglass Trailers

starllight

Visit site
Does anyone know which trailer is the lightest weight. I am looking for one to tow with my car, which can only tow up to 1.2 tonnes (think that is the correct scale
confused.gif
) I am totally confused as to which trailers are best. I looked on line at at Bateson which was rear loading and unloading, but I am not sure as to their quality compared to a single Ifor Williams. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated! Thank you
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
I think our trailer is either 800 or 850, so trailer plus horse of 400 and you are over straight away. Especially when you have to factor in the weight of tack, people, hay, water etc etc.

You are really going to struggle with something with that towing capacity. Plus you will really have problems with steep hills and braking.

The trailer I have is fibreglass by the way, a Cheval Liberte - they do a single trailer mind and that would be a lot less weight than my 2 x 17.2 one. Google it and have a look?

ecrozier

Visit site
Friend has a single ifor....still weighs about 700kg though, so with that plus horse....plus no 4WD....I wouldn't risk it myself. She tows it off a SWB shogun!
She has it as a way around the trailer test though, as unladen weight <750kg means she didn't need to take a test! DVLA confirmed that was ok, but she can't borrow another trailer etc or tow two horses without test.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The Bateson Derby has a ulw of 675kg & maximum weight of 1700, the Ifor Williams Single has ulw of 770kg & maximum weight of 1600kg. With you being able to tow only 1250kg you could carry a horse of 575kg with your vehicle & the Bateson.

With the towing capacity your vehicle has your options are somewhat limited without towing dangerously overweight.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have the bateson derby rear unload but for me this is not a problem. 7' head height and takes 2 15 hand horses.

I only put my 14.2 cob in who weighs 420 k. My safe tow limit is 1200k so if he grows much heavier I will have to change my car.

The derby is a lovely little trailer and I am very pleased with mine. On the roads it is fine and I have to date had no problems with hills and dry fields. The max distance I ever go is 60 miles.