Fidgety horse!

HelenPolly

Visit site
Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of why my friend's horse is such a fidget, or suggestions or stories of other fidgety horses. Here's some background!

She's a 10 year old Irish x mare (not sure of exact breeding), used for light hacking, my friend's not a great fan of schooling but will trot round quite nicely if asked. She's had her for nearly 2 years and the problem of fidgeting has got worse and worse, it's not so much an aggressive or quick fidget, the horse literally has a problem standing on the same spot and moves about all the time (you can tie her up long or short, only stands still with a haynet which isn't always practical), mounting is also a problem. The vet's checked her out and there's no health problems, back problems etc. but unfortunately my friend is running out of patient farriers! The mare is well behaved once you've managed to get on and doesn't nap at all, she's fed chaff and non-heating mix and some joint supplement due to a little bit of stiffness.

I'm trying to persuade my friend to get it investigated by a Bowen technique person or someone like that to see if anything niggly is going on, I've had my own mare for 17 years and never seen any horse this fidgety.

The horse has also lost a lot of topline and has non existent muscles on the back end, my friend has a problems of her own in that her own lower back discs are fused, which may explain the topline disappearing. I can't see how this explains the increased fidgeting though. The horse is also well disciplined (not beaten obviously!!) but to no avail.

Any ideas/tales of your own/suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks a lot
Helen