Fidgity Mare

Slave2Magic

Visit site
This is my 1st post on this forum so hi to everyone!
grin.gif

I own a 6 year old arab mare. She is a very young 6 tho. Only broken last November. Im having problems grooming her as she won't stand still. She moves about and pulls faces at me. I can touch her all over with hands and only use a body brush. Is she just being awkward? I don't want to hit her so any suggestions please?

AG18

Visit site
My TB is very sensitive and doesn't like being groomed, but giving her a hay net always works well for me! Or if I am just doing a quick groom before riding I hold a carrot in one hand and let her bite it occassionally, so she is distracted by that instead of biting me!

Slave2Magic

Visit site
Yes she is tied up and she doesnt try to pull back. She just moves from side to side. I wondered if she is just ticklish being thin skinned but that doesn't help when she is covered in mud or stains!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, she could be a bit ticklish. My loan horse hates being groomed, and whilst I don't tie her up do have to dodge the teeth!!

Have you got a cactus cloth? She may prefer that to a brush, and find it more enjoyable. Other than that perhaps use your brush and your hand to remove mud. Oh yes, and perseverence!!

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple">My youngster was a nightmare.

Firstly I tried praising her everytime she stood still and when she fidgited I'd completely ignore it. Needless to say we didn't really get anywhere. Then everytime she fidgeted I'd move her back to where she was say stand and praise her when she did. This eventually worked and now she doesn't really do it.

Maybe you're tickling her with her brush? Is it only when you groom? She may be trying to tell you she doesn't like something? </span>

sally2008

Visit site
She might just be ticklish but she could be trying to tell you that she's in discomfort. Often horses with back pain are reluctant to stand still and resent being groomed. Have you had her back and saddle checked recently?

Slave2Magic

Visit site
Her back is fine. She had vet recommended physio about 3 months ago and is happy to be tacked up and ridden. Before she had physio she stood quite well so maybe she just feels better in herself and wants to be off!

Happytohack

Visit site
Arabs can be fidgety by nature and are also thin skinned. My old Arab was both and the cactus cloth previously mentioned is a good idea. I used to get any mud off with my hands or a soft cloth. The only brush he would tolerate was a Stubben body brush (ultra expensive but I still have it 20 years later) which had very, very soft bristles. If you tie her up with a haynet, at least it might distract her a little bit. Patience and perseverance will work wonders.

squid35

Visit site
i have an arad stallion that used to fidget a little when being brushed but after being put back into the position i wanted him in he got over it! i think they get bored of standing, they have very active minds, i can now brush him loose, normally with his hay.
if they do move though dont get angry (which im sure you dont) as it make the situation worse!

If you dont mind me asking what breeding is she?

squid35

Visit site
excellent! i look forward to seeing some pics!

i had an arad where i used to work who loved jumping! she was so nippy in and out of the jumps and always put herself right even though she was a novice at it!

filly190

Visit site
I have an arab (yearling) and she's fine to be groomed and seems to really enjoy it. As I've only had thin skinned T.B's I'm in the habit of using soft brushes and cloths.

She does like to look and move around and I just put it down to her being ultra switched on and nosey. The way I get around this is by letting her loose and she usually stands with her head over her favourite horses door getting licked to death and at the same time I groom her.

I would not punish or get stressed it only makes matters worse. Distraction is the best policy to start with.

Parkranger

Visit site
My TB hates being groomed in the summer but now he has a thicker coat I can use the dandy brush on the mud!

Do you tie her up outside the stable? My boy is an ex racer and is such a fidget outside the stable, yet when in the stable stands stock still.....might be worth tying up in different areas.

Haynets are also a good idea - my boy is too fidgety without....

Salcey

Visit site
Does she fidgit when you just slowly move your hand over her. When I got my 6yo mare she'd never been touched before and I just used to slowly rub her all over, sometimes if she was pulling faces I just use to leave my hand or cloth resting on her.
Just an idea