Field being weed sprayed - how long to keep them off?

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
As per title really, don't know what it is being sprayed with apart from that it is weed spray, farmer has said he is doing it Friday. We don't get a say. We have some living out with no where to go, so trying to sort something but don't know how long they need to be off for, farmers view is that they don't need to be off at all apart from while he is spraying? Thanks for any advice!

humblepie

Visit site
Yards I know spray the docks and nettles off with the horses in field (not using big tractor but either by hand or on a quad). Probably depends what they are using to spray.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
mine stayed off a fortnight when OH did the docks and thistles. fortunately i had an area that was weed-free that they were shut onto.
it does depend on what's used. i think if they use Grazon you can go back on after a week.

abb123

Visit site
For Grazon they say to keep horses off for two weeks for any poisonous plants to die. If you know that there is only docks and thistles in the field then once dry it should be fine if spot sprayed. I imagine the farmer is not going to spot spray though so I would probably want them off a bit longer as the grass they are eating will have it on too. Is there any bit with no weeds in that you could section off and not have sprayed?

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
I'm trying to find out what he's going to use, it isn't spot spraying he will just spray it all. Weeds are mainly dock, thistle and common fleabane which is the main issue. As a side note, anyone know if the common fleabane is poisonous to horses? We are led to believe not and they don't touch it while it's live. Working out what we could section off now too. This is a pain ?

holeymoley

Visit site
It's generally 1 week or after the first heavy rainfall. I prefer to keep off as long as possible though. It also depends what is being used.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Depends on what he’s using. Some are one week, others are two weeks. I always leave an extra week just to be sure. Obviously be aware of ragwort.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
As per title really, don't know what it is being sprayed with apart from that it is weed spray, farmer has said he is doing it Friday. We don't get a say. We have some living out with no where to go, so trying to sort something but don't know how long they need to be off for, farmers view is that they don't need to be off at all apart from while he is spraying? Thanks for any advice!
2 weeks or until it rains a bit is what I go by.