Field 'divots' - do you stamp yours back down?!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Not even sure if I've got the right heading to this, but you know what I mean.

Your horse has a 'hooly' and his/her mile long skiddy marks are worthy of a prize. It's still raining, and their feet sink in an inch or three. The turf is now just a lost cause, a tufty rut of something resembling grass, but your not sure. You can even trip over it in that illusive search for their poo - thank god the wheel barrow holds you up, before the handles try to stab you in the leg as it jams on yet another 'galloping master piece'.

So, what do you do? Leave the lonesome turf tufts balanced on top, or stamp them back in like a jigsaw, - ever hopeful that it will repair in minutes?

I'm a stamper downer if I can, and ever hopeful of fully repaired field, divot-less!
Does it actually have any effect? Will the grass grow quicker, lusher and better?

sandy3924

Visit site
I am a stamper downer - won't know if it has made a difference til the grass starts growing again but I am always hopeful.

Tobiano

Visit site
I have trudged round my horses' field stamping down divots but tbh my 2 feet are no match for their 8, so i have given up and am hoping my kind YO will roll it in a few weeks.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Yes, whenever I can - if it's not too frosty or too wet . . . hate divots. However, lovely YO will be rolling and harrowing all fields as soon as it is dry enough.

P

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
You can even trip over it in that illusive search for their poo - thank god the wheel barrow holds you up, before the handles try to stab you in the leg as it jams on yet another 'galloping master piece'.

:D:D:D:D:D haha, so, so true! Love this!

I'm a stamper-downer. Born and raised. No idea if it helps, but it does at least reduce the amount of wheelbarrow-obstacles in the field ;)

Orson Cart

Visit site
Another one that stamps them down. I've never really noticed that it makes a difference to grass growth ... but it does stop me shanking myself on the wheelbarrow or turning my ankle over in them. :) And makes me think that my horses are a little safer as they won't trip on them either ;)

Boulty

Visit site
Given that any divots the horses make are trumped by the impressive trenches created when the tractor puts the hay in (livery yard so i can't control this) I tend to leave them. My horse is faaar too lazy and greedy to career around the field when there's ad-lib hay anyway (Literally every other horse within sight including his fieldmates can be careering about like a loon and mine will have his nose glued to the hay)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I definately stamp down, hope to do it same day if possible if pogo-sticking has taken place :)

The sooooooper long skid marks are a challenge, but then CF doesn't often produce them :biggrin3:

Floofball

Visit site
I'm a stamper - think all the other liveries think I'm mad - and they're probably right but I find it quite rewarding (yep definately mad) as my lad can leave trenches!! He does have the wettest field though :-(

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I don't often walk our field that much, but I stamp if I see a big divot. We don't poo pick a lot, never in winter certainly, too little time for anything enjoyable in winter! Field gets harrowed, rolled and rested for 3 months ish come spring summer.

MDB

Visit site
As someone whose OH is in the golfing profession, I know that if you don't repair your divots on the fairway within twenty four hours then it takes several weeks for them to recover.. So get out stamping right away everybody!!

Funnily enough I have spent the day stamping down divots in my neighbours garden... He offered to let the horses in there to eat his grass (he has a big garden), and said horses have obviously had a party today... Much to my shock and horror as I returned to aforementioned garden to find it trashed! :0

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Not even sure if I've got the right heading to this, but you know what I mean.

Your horse has a 'hooly' and his/her mile long skiddy marks are worthy of a prize. It's still raining, and their feet sink in an inch or three. The turf is now just a lost cause, a tufty rut of something resembling grass, but your not sure. You can even trip over it in that illusive search for their poo - thank god the wheel barrow holds you up, before the handles try to stab you in the leg as it jams on yet another 'galloping master piece'.

So, what do you do? Leave the lonesome turf tufts balanced on top, or stamp them back in like a jigsaw, - ever hopeful that it will repair in minutes?

I'm a stamper downer if I can, and ever hopeful of fully repaired field, divot-less!
Does it actually have any effect? Will the grass grow quicker, lusher and better?
Yes I do generally but farmer coming soon to harrow so I will let him do it this time.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Another stamper here! Trouble is once you start it's hard not to keep going till they're all stamped in......
If divot treading was an Olympic sport I would definitely be a gold medalist contender!! :D

Jericho

Visit site
Cannot walk past a divot without flattening - makes poo picking and bringing them in a rather lengthy process!!

pinkypug1

Visit site
It Would take me too long as winter field is about 15 acres but I suppose if your horse is in a Small paddock u would need to keep the area in good condition to see it through the seasons.

noodle_

Visit site
i have better things to do :D

at an old yard a long time ago - the yo made us stamp them down, slightest bit of rain too they didnt go out - or if they were out they came in.

Yard im on now, rolls and harrows so we have no need - and FWIW - we have tons of grass :D

flirtygerty

Visit site
Having four idiots hooning about, my field resembles a ploughed field, I do stamp down divots, but it's like painting the Forth bridge, especially as my lot come running to see what I'm doing, I'm waiting till it all dries a bit then ask my friendly farmer if he will roll and harrow it, or sell the horses and have a peaceful life

suffolkmare

Visit site
Divots? hooves sinking only 3 inches? Oh dear...my boy and his friends seem to have part bog part ploughed field at the mo. It would be impossible to push a wheelbarrow in it and it takes several minutes of "positive mental attitude" for horse or human to attempt the 20' (ish) extent of gloop around the gate. Any stamping means coating yourself in wet clay! I believe rolling and harrowing is booked in for the twelfth of never, possibly a little earlier if we get a decent dry spell, and it can be done before it bakes hard!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I suppose if your horse is in a Small paddock u would need to keep the area in good condition to see it through the seasons.

this is the problem we've got :( small paddocks and nowhere to move them on to as the other field was reseeded last year and won't be ready for horses for a long time. Ours have to stay in or go on hardstanding when it's wet, otherwise they would be in bog now, and bare earth all summer :(

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
i stamp but dont worry too much as our soil is very sandy, so the divots and tufts dissolve in the rain/as soon as it dries and go flat again.

couple of summers ago father sparkle was doing some weeding and decided to tread the divots back in, only to have the horse follow him and pull them all out again!!!!!!!

Hawks27

Visit site
I tread in mine as I poo pick just to try make it look better if anything, thankfully he is the only one in his 3/4acre winter field but it looks pretty appalling now its on a slope so all water drains to the gate which is a bog but rest of field is fine but there are some seriously impressive skiddies my horse likes to impersonate a rodeo horse whilst doing emergency stops at the field edge he has diabolic brakes and no balance and often falls over whilst being a prat so I have splat marks as well!

Nicnac

Visit site
I stamp as I walk back after turning out or when walking dogs but don't go out of my way to stamp. I think for the 20 stamps I do, they create another 100 anyway so bit of a lost cause.

JustKickOn

Visit site
If I'm walking past one in the field I'll stomp it in, but we roll the fields so they'll all eventually be pushed down.