Field injury - in or out?

pennyturner

Visit site
Well it had to happen some time. Duke has sustained an injury in the field. Not sure whether it was a kick or a fall. Probably the latter as it happened a week ago when the clay was as slippery as.

Looks like his shoulder. He's favouring the leg quite heavily, but weight-bearing and fully mobile. He most certainly did not like me flexing the leg forward (he bit me!).

I kept him in for a week when the ground was still wet, but put him out yesterday for some sun, and to be better able to assess him. He's a bit better than he was a week ago, but I think it will be weeks, not days.

Since my short fat hairies don't normally do this to me, I'm lacking experience... is he better off in or out, now that the ground's OK?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Well it had to happen some time. Duke has sustained an injury in the field. Not sure whether it was a kick or a fall. Probably the latter as it happened a week ago when the clay was as slippery as.

Looks like his shoulder. He's favouring the leg quite heavily, but weight-bearing and fully mobile. He most certainly did not like me flexing the leg forward (he bit me!).

I kept him in for a week when the ground was still wet, but put him out yesterday for some sun, and to be better able to assess him. He's a bit better than he was a week ago, but I think it will be weeks, not days.

Since my short fat hairies don't normally do this to me, I'm lacking experience... is he better off in or out, now that the ground's OK?

Sorry to hear about Duke. What does your vet recommend? I would be going along with their advice if it was me.

Annagain

Visit site
I think if he's still lame on it after a week's box rest I'd want a vet to take a look. Hope he's back to normal soon.

Asha

Visit site
I'd get the vet out. Without knowing what he's done its impossible to know what's the best to advise. I'd keep in until the vet has seen him.

TGM

Visit site
I do think if you don't have an accurate diagnosis you probably need a vet to come in and (hopefully) give you one. It could be all sorts of things - as it has been so wet it may be an abscess. It could be a pulled muscle, it could be arthritis, it could be many things! Once you actually know what the problem is, then you can decide whether he is better in or out. If a vet can't give you a clear diagonsis, then my experience would say the best option may be out with gentle movement, if you can manage things that way, but it depends on the horse and your set-up. Galloping round like a mad thing is not likely to be good, but standing stock still in a stable may make matters worse for some conditions, hence why it is important to get some idea of what the problem actually is!

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
I think shoulder lameness is relatively uncommon so I'd agree with what's already been said, have the vet in. My livery insisted her pony was lame in the shoulder and messed around for nearly a month until she eventually got the vet out. It was bilaterally lame in front and when that was nerve blocked out, the pony was also lame behind! Poor boy!

pennyturner

Visit site
Well, I've just been to see him in the paddock. It's 6 days since he did it, he's been out since yesterday morning, and has improved significantly. Not showing obviously lame now, although you can just about tell if you're looking for it, I doubt a layman would notice. Significantly better than just yesterday. I suspect TGM is right and gentle movement has helped. It's easy to get stiff standing in a stall, especially as he's not used to it.

Happily we haven't got a 'galloping about' kind of herd, which means he can stay out - he prefers it that way.

Whatever he did to himself, looks like it's getting better...thank goodness.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

When in doubt get the vet

pennyturner

Visit site
I would get the vet in a heartbeat if I thought there was an injury requiring treatment, hadn't been putting weight on the leg, or wasn't improving fairly quickly. Other than the bute, which we already had, this one was a 'watch him and check him regularly' for a few days job. He most likely slipped on the treacherous ground we had following heavy rain last Monday (not that I take that lightly; a friend of mind lost a horse in similar circumstances). Of course I checked his feet and legs carefully to eliminate things like abscess or puncture, checked for heat, swelling, lumps & bumps etc.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I would get the vet in a heartbeat if I thought there was an injury requiring treatment, hadn't been putting weight on the leg, or wasn't improving fairly quickly. Other than the bute, which we already had, this one was a 'watch him and check him regularly' for a few days job. He most likely slipped on the treacherous ground we had following heavy rain last Monday (not that I take that lightly; a friend of mind lost a horse in similar circumstances). Of course I checked his feet and legs carefully to eliminate things like abscess or puncture, checked for heat, swelling, lumps & bumps etc.

I am struggling to understand why you want to take advice from random strangers on the internet who haven't seen the horse, yet don't think he needs a vet. I hope he is ok, but if he was mine he would be seeing the vet as he still isn't 100%. Good luck. x

pennyturner

Visit site
I wasn't asking what was wrong with him, nor whether he needs a vet. There are different views about whether a horse recovers better confined to a stable, or able to move around in a paddock... I think it's valuable to hear these different views, and why, as there are people on here who have much more experience dealing with lame horses/ponies than I have... I have been very lucky on that front.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Unless totally crippled or serious I would do what you have done. Have to say I do not get the vet out for every lameness either. If he is improving then I would leave him out and keep an eye on him. If nothing obvious then always check feet for abcess and bruising.

My mare was quite lame the other week on hard surfaces, but as out most of the time I believed it was due to her feet being so saturated as we are on clay. A week on box rest cured it and now 100%.

oldie48

Visit site
I don't think anyone has tried to diagnose the problem but it's not possible to say if a horse is better in or out until you know what's wrong with it but I do know people who will box rest a horse for a week to see if it improves before getting the vet, on the basis that a week in the box won't do any long term harm to the horse whereas putting it out, might. However, if I've just had a horse shod and it's a bit footy, I'd put it in the field and keep an eye on it. QUOTE=pennyturner;13238271]I wasn't asking what was wrong with him, nor whether he needs a vet. There are different views about whether a horse recovers better confined to a stable, or able to move around in a paddock... I think it's valuable to hear these different views, and why, as there are people on here who have much more experience dealing with lame horses/ponies than I have... I have been very lucky on that front.[/QUOTE]