Field management experts - help please!

1nd1c03

Visit site
Bit of a boring topic but has to be done!

I’ve recently started renting a few acres which I’ve divided up and will be rotating as necessary. I’m now starting to think about harrowing - the main reason being that there are mossy patches and dead leftover grass that needs getting rid of.

I wondered if someone who has experience of this would know if something like this would do the job? Not a harrow persay but it should get up the grass https://www.manomano.co.uk/electric...awn-tractor-atv-lawn-4120754?model_id=4120754

Just loathe to spend a lot of money when I won’t be using it too often!

Thanks in advance

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think the real question is; will the equipment be hard-wearing enough for the amount of land that you want to use it on? I don't know the answer because i don't know how much land you have, or the quality of the scarifier. If you have £70 to experiment with, it is probably worth a try. Dad made us a harrow, which was somewhat 'over-engineered', as many of his projects were, so much more robust than the item in your link.
TBH, the best answer for moss etc is sheep, if you can borrow some.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Rather than buy something you aren't sure of unless you have a lot of land I would look to hire the local farmer and good robust kit - you will get not only his time but his advice too.

I also really rate sheep if you can borrow some

cauda equina

Visit site
I have a dethatcher made by SCH which is similar to the one in your link but more hefty (wider, probably heavier and the height is adjustable)
It's good for getting the dead grass out but doesn't really do anything to level out lumpy ground, and it takes ages to do; the dead stuff clogs up the tines and needs pulling out
I've given with it as it's more satisfactory to pay a neighbour to do it with a tractor and a proper harrow

meleeka

Visit site
I made a Harrow last year out of an old tile crate, a gate and some breeze blocks for weight. I was amazed at how good a job it did and it didn’t cost me a penny :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd think what you linked to is either going to get stuck or break fairly quickly, even our very flat field would likely have bumps it couldn't cope with.

Ours is harrowed once a year, currently by our very local farmer which can be a bit of a pita to organise but the bigger kit does a much better job than a quad and a small harrow (belonging to someone else) ever did. He gets it done in one pass instead of several.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't harrowed for twenty seven years. Every year, the old dead stuff rots away and the new stuff grows through fine. I don't actually understand harrowing at all, unless it's too knock down mole hills, that I do with my foot or a back hoe.