Field management for fat ponies!

Millie82

Visit site
I have 2 acres of grazing for my shetland and fjord yearling, both are total fatties!! Currently the fields are divided into 2 1 acre paddocks which I rotate every 3 months. Is this too much grazing for them? They are both rather round. They are out 24/7 and I do put hay out when cold (maybe I shouldn't :eek: ) should I further divide the paddocks or leave as they are?

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
would it be possible for you to do something similar to "padddock paradise" ... fence off the entire middle of the paddock leaving a strip round the outside that includes the water trough, shelter etc. That means they have to walk round the edge to get from each resource to the other and to the gate to get out ( no shortcuts over the middle !) so they get more exercise moving round it to graze it down.
when that is down you can then either gradually move bits of the electric fecding in towards the middle to "strip graze" or have lanes made in the middle which you open up bits at a time

I have tried to find a pic to explain it and this is the only one I have atm and dont think if you can see

XL800653.jpg

we found this worked really well in both limiting grass intake and promoting exercise

as to volune of grass.......... we have four cob size natives on 3 acres of grass all summer and that lasts uss 8 - 9 months of the year so maybe 2 acres for smaller neds is a wee bit too much ( well if they are "too round" maybe you have come to the same conclusion lol)

Last edited:

amandap

Visit site
Second taping off a track and keep it narrow if only one or two horses on it. Muzzle.If a track is possible when the grass is eaten feed soaked hay.