field rules

what type if saddle?

• Total voters

aran

community.webshots.com
hello
i've never done a poll before - very exciting and it will most likely go wrong but never mind!
just wondered if your yard had a 'no horse to be left out on its own rule'.
ie: if you go to get your horse and its the penultimate you dont leave the last.

fairhill

Visit site
I'm normally the last one to bring in from the field, and will usually bring the last horse in (doesn't happen very often, as most horses are in by 4pm), and it does depend on the horse.
Some of them don't mind being out on their own, so I leave for the owner. Others get very upset, so I'll bring in, or ask someone else to bring in with me.

Heidi1

Visit site
Hi,
It not a rule on our yard, but everybody always brings the last one in, but do have one issue, some people take the p**s, wait until they know that others have fetched it in, so our YO has said if it gets to that stage again, then she will charge that person for fetching in, which is only fair..........

aran

community.webshots.com
i've never been on a yard where its been an issue - however at my new yard it does seem to be. we only have 5 very nice geldings in our field and a straight forward walk up to the barn - however they dont bring the last one up. i pay for someone to bring in aran so its not really an issue for me - however having seen many instances (in the vet hospital) of the damage that can be done i dont understand why, as it isnt difficult, just to bring the last one in or tell the YM and she can do it?!
just interested on how it works in other areas.

aran

community.webshots.com
sounds like a good decision to me - taking the piss is just so unfair on the rest of the yard - however you always get one i suppose.
for me its the what if situation - say something happens and you cant contact the yard - would they just leave a horse out on its own all night or would they do whats right by the horse - id rather get charged than my horse suffer due to my stupidity/tardiness/stuck in emergency situation!

Chex

Visit site
There's only two in my field just now, but the other one is the YOs horse. If her bed has been done I bring her in, but if its not then I leave her out. I leave Chex out untill about 8 or 9, so would be really annoyed if someone brought him in at 4! He's happer grazing in the field by himself than in the stble early, especially if he has a dirty bed and no food! If it was a clingy horse I would bring the last in, rather than have it damage itself. But as a general rule I don't interfere with other people's horses.

Tempi

Visit site
no rules at our yard, and quite often one horse is left screaming and galloping round the field on its own
crazy.gif

Archie is first out in the morning but he dosent mind as he can talk to the others over the fence, hes always first in too. Bloss is in a field on her own.

aran

community.webshots.com
i understand your feeling that you dont want people to interfer with your horse however the number of serious injuries that we hear of at the vet college because horses have been left out on their own means that i'd rather aran was in at 3 than left on his own until 6. we see some really unsetting cases with owners saying 'he's always been fine on his own - i dont know what happened' - i just feel its an unnecessary risk. its also why all my old yards insisted that stables were mucked out with water and hay nets done in the morning so no horse came back in onto muck with no food.
i hope if aran ever is the last one out then the people in my field will interfer and bring him in - or at least phone me to check whats going on - i dont need anymore vet hospital trips!

Eliza120280

Visit site
At my last yard, it was the case that horses were left on there own in the field and when you have a three/four year old thoroughbred that loves his friends it can be a little bit scary seeing your horse flying round the field, dripping in sweat and screaming for his buddies - and not to mention probably missing two shoes! At the new place I am at, no horse is ever left on its own in either the field or the stable block - and they seem much happier, not to mention safer!