Figuring out a water drinker

alainax

Visit site
Has anyone ever had a horse who has had trouble with these?

First time my gelding has come across this. He has his special moments. For example he took months to figure out a hay net. Would eat it off the floor no problem, but it took a net with huge holes for him to get it. Almost like he couldn't work out why we were wrapping up his hay, and not letting him eat it! No medical issue, took a few weeks, then I could gradually reduce the size of the haynet holes. I presumed as it was just new for him, and he very much doesn't like to break the rules!

Now we have an automated water drinker. He has been stabled a few times overnight. I have shown him the water, he pulls a face. In the morning he rushes to the feild water trough and gulps it up. Auto one is clean, from the same water supply as field trough etc.

I guess he is being slightly special again, but I don't want him not drinking. I have thought about adding some apples till he understands how to works, or is that pandering to him... Just let him get on with it and he will figure it out. :p

mytwofriends

Visit site
Yes, as above, apples and carrots can work. Also a small bucket of water so he doesn't go thirsty whilst getting to grips with his modern invention!

My horse used to dunk hay in his drinker. That was nice .........

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would put a bucket of water under it. Or even better if you can get it close to it. Then he gets the idea that that is the area where the water lives and you can take the bucket away once he gets it, depending on design you might be able to hang an empty bucket under it so the trough is the top of the bucket if that makes sense. Also is he scared of the "skooshy" noise of it refilling. If so, make it make the noise regularly so he learns to ignore it.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
It is probably the sound of the water refilling that is putting him off. He will know that it is water. Maybe empty it into a bucket while he is in the stable so that he gets used to the noise and realises that it is harmless. The other thing that can put them off is the feel of the water moving as it refills. Give him time, he will not die of thirst if he fails to drink overnight while learning that it is harmless.