Filled legs at grass

Jnhuk

Visit site
My ISH who lives out 24/7 had both hind legs filled when brought him in today. No sign of lameness, no sign of even a smallest wound or injury andno heat just swollen. Hacked him out in walk for 30 mins and legs back to normal

Going to have a chat to vet but thinking autumnal flush with changes in grass

Anyone else noticing this?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It could be too much protein. CM had the same issue one spring. I (on advice from the vet) cut out all hard feed and brought her in at night until the grass finished flushing.

Mrs G

Visit site
Yes i had this last week; my TB had three filled legs. I assumed it was the grass/flush of protein so cut his bucket feed down, brought him in during the day and alternated a couple of sessions a day of cold hosing and walking him in hand. They were back to normal after 3 days.

MagicMelon

Visit site
2 out of 3 of my horses have done exactly the same. They've had various filled legs over the past 2 weeks (both hinds, then one front, then three etc.!). They live out 24/7 and we've had so much rain lately that they've literally been standing about in the field in the mud so Ive just put it down to lack of moving about and the mud. I liken it a bit to when their legs fill in the stable overnight. As soon as I start exercising they go down so Im not concerned about it, they've almost gone totally back to normal now the grounds drying out a bit.

I.M.N.

Visit site
My yearly leg filler has been up and down the last couple of weeks, sometimes only a bit sometimes full sausage. His hinds (occasionally a front joins the party briefly) have done it most of his life and never done him any harm, when they get consistently large I start bandaging when he's stabled at night.