filling haynets

Annie&Amy

Visit site
Does anyone know of a good trick to make filling haynets easier and more enjoyable!! Must be my most hated job and i know you can buy rings that you can put nets on but is their a cheaper way? xxxx

JessPickle

Visit site
a large bucket , put the haynet in it with the top of it over the top of the bucket its a lot easier to fill a bucket

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Dont fill nets, put it on the floor

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha
smile.gif
if pickle had hay on the floor it would be gone in 10 minutes at least a small hole haynet makes him save it a bit!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I used to think like that. However got my mare a haybar (just like putting hay on floor, but stops it getting mixed with bedding) and hay actually seems to last her longer than it did when I put it in 2x haymets to slow her down.
confused.gif
weird hey.

RachelB

Visit site
If I feed mine hay in small holed haynets, it disappears a lot quicker than if I put it in big holed haynets. She obviously thinks she shouldn't be eating it quick if it's in a small net so she does. Same goes for if I give it to her when she comes in from grass, she won't eat it for a few hours. If I leave her for half an hour without a net, she's starving!!!
Reverse psychology or something like that!
No tips for filling nets though, I hate the darned things and would feed it in a big bucket if I thought my horse wouldn't trample the bucket!

riotgirl

Visit site
My way of doing them is to upturn the wheelbarrow so the handles are sticking up, loop eith er side of the haynet over the handles and shove the hay in. I actually don't swear now when filling them
grin.gif

teapot

Visit site
Get however many sections of hay, place between your legs, and then put open haynet over the end, pull haynet around the hay/pushing awkward bits in

Once most of the hay is in, take from between legs - and just push the last bits in
grin.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
my mum and dad arranged for Jay,a friend of mine to weld me a haynet filler together.
grin.gif
Just really a 3d rectangular frame with hooks on the top. Dont think it cost much to do, porbably most expensive bit was the metal(£20 ish), and Jay just wanted a box of beer!
wink.gif
Its amazing, cuts haynet filling time by loads. Wouldnt be without one now, especially as i fill all my haynets for 5 horses at a weekend to last me all week (saves me time in the week, all i have to do is hang one up every morning in each stable)

SueAllen

Visit site
That sounds like a really good idea! Any photos? I've got a couple of handy people who could make something if I gave them a pic.