Pictures Filly’s first week

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I thought I’d post an update on my little horse.

It has been one week since she arrived and she’s been an absolute star.

B4F9E8A9-6F42-461E-B59E-A54023003D2A.jpeg

She’s spent some nights in, although she had been living out, and she’s been so good and adjusted so well.

C5428E53-9845-4D07-B1FE-1F73635E993C.jpeg

She’s done very little except become familiar with the property, the other horses and the alpacas 😱 which caused lots of eye rolling and snorting but all legs stayed where they should and she was very brave.

We did venture into the school to look at some colourful items.

E227B443-922F-4CEA-9478-0E0C5AF06032.jpeg

She’s also crossed bridges over water, looked at a tractor, met the chickens and had another new horse arrive. So far nothing gets more than a bit of a dragon snort and some suspicious looks.

In terms of my plans, she’s absolutely on track. Week one goals were:

Turn out and come in nicely, whether first or last.
Pick out all four feet.
Wait for gates and stable doors to open and close patiently.
Back-up and stand when asked to.

She has all of these in place- I’m so proud, can’t believe she’s only 3.

By end of next week, the goals are:

Walk out of the gates into the village, even if it is just 5 minutes.
Be happy to have legs hosed.
Maybe wash tail depending how well legs go.

And here’s another lovely photo of the noble beast.

14841AF6-0075-4A25-B063-CE141F344793.jpeg

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Tail washing training is absolutely critical when they are that colour :D
she looks really settled.

OH still smitten?

Still totally in love, if he wasn’t over 6 foot and she wasn’t teeny tiny, I think I’d have lost her for life!

Oh I just love her!!!!! she's going to be a beauty:) There is no way I could let my Arab eat that grass though, he would explode!
So pleased things are going well for you both!

Definitely one of the considerations in deciding to bring her in.

I’m so glad you went to see her!
Pretty barbie pony 😃

Me too!

Absolutely beautiful and a quick learner by the sounds of things.

She’s definitely one of the brighter ones I’ve had. I do think her manners and her attitude is a massive credit to her previous owner, she did a fantastic job with her.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Congratulations on your new unicorn 😁 I do love a pally but the one piece of advice I can give you; how to keep a pally clean in winter = you don't 🙄

TPO

Visit site
Shes gorgeous! Read back your threads so I didnt ask duplicate questions and she has your OH well smitten in the photo of them ;)

Look forward to following your posts about her. What's her name? (Apologies if I've missed it)

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Well we aren’t having a great day today. She’s been separated from the two mares she was with as apparently she was getting too clingy to the one and the other was being left out.

So now she’s in with a gelding who is absolutely lovely and also very new- got here on Tuesday, but obviously the change is big for her. She’d just started to settle.

And to make matters worse, they got the gelding as a companion for their hunter but the two haven’t bonded (although it’s only been a few days) and so they are planning to send him back. So she’ll have another change shortly.

She’s very unsettled and galloping around calling for the mares who are one field over. Am
I being silly feeling a little concerned about the changes?

windand rain

Visit site
She is very beautiful but it is part of the learning curve to accept change especially a change of field mate. The more you do it the better she will be I always swap fields around with my youngstock so they learn not to be too dependant on one companion I am lucky in that I have a small herd of ponies so can swap and change among my own and can accommodate differing needs. She soon learn that she is loved and cared for and become more secure regardless of who shares her field and as long as you stay the same it doesnt matter what happens in the field

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
She is very beautiful but it is part of the learning curve to accept change especially a change of field mate. The more you do it the better she will be I always swap fields around with my youngstock so they learn not to be too dependant on one companion I am lucky in that I have a small herd of ponies so can swap and change among my own and can accommodate differing needs. She soon learn that she is loved and cared for and become more secure regardless of who shares her field and as long as you stay the same it doesnt matter what happens in the field

Thanks, I probably am being a little over protective. It’s only been a week and I’m conscious of how many changes have gone on in her little life.

She’s being very good all things considered, it just feels a bit unnecessary to keep changing her field right now. But you’re right, she will need to learn.