Filmed on my own arena AIBU?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was riding on my arena today. I suddenly realised that a woman had got out of a camper van, climbed the bank at the side of the road and was filming right beside my arena, about five feet up, leaning against my wall.

I think she was filming the scenery, which since we live in a national park is lovely, but equally, she could just have been filming me, and in any case she was almost certainly catching me in the shot.

I stopped and stared at her, said "excuse me!" and after quite a few seconds she realised I wasn't going to carry on riding until she left. As she was driven away, she gave me a mouthful through the open window.

Am I being unreasonable to think she was out of order? I will be very cross if I appear on Facebook on someone's holiday video tomorrow. The verge/bank was probably public ground, but surely you don't just film across someone who is riding on their own land?

Ish2020

Visit site
Nope you’re not she could have been easy filming you. It kind of waird she would go to that extreme just to take a video of the scenery most people would just admire it from the distance . In my previous yard I was walking my horse around the yard when I spotted a man filming me from the gate. You can see though the gate it was very uncomfortable. I told the the man off.

palo1

Visit site
I would hate that! Tbh we often get people filming/taking pics of us when we ride as a family - usually we are on a mountain path or somewhere like that. As we are not really like a group of trekkers, tourists seem boggled by a family riding together in some places!! Although we find it intrusive (after all, I am not busy taking pictures of them or their children) there is not much that can be done in public. Sometimes I say politely that it is nicer to be asked for permission as our children are under 16 and we don't know where the images may end up. In your situation I would be quite cross in fact - surely it is essential good manners not to nose at people on their own property ? Certainly it is not good manners these days (or at any time really) to take any pictures of people without asking first. :(

Kat

Visit site
It is a bit weird and I wouldn't like it either but legally in England you can film or photograph pretty much whatever you like from a public right of way.

Attempts to stop people are normally expensive and unsuccessful.

I doubt it was malicious and it seems unlikely to happen again but if it really bothers you a hedge might be the best solution

saalsk

Visit site
If they were in public, on public accessible land, then yes, they can film anything they see. No, I don't agree with it, and I would have stopped and walked away, but you can't actually stop them - if they can see you from public access. If they move to private land, it is different, and they cannot film if they are asked to leave.
(edited for terrible spelling)

ycbm

Visit site
if it bothers you a hedge might be the best solution

There's no room. The wall/bank is the side of the arena, effectively. It wouldn't grow at 1100 feet on a bed of rock anyway.

saalsk

Visit site
Is there a way to stop access to the bank ? It would freak me out too, I can tell you ! A previous yard put in concrete bollards to stop people pulling off the road to park onto her soft verge section , which meant they couldn't park so didn't stop, and moved on to somewhere else. Even some of those chunky white stones that look nice, but also look like they would kill the underneath of a car should you get manoeuvring wrong, would make them think twice about stopping. Along with signs saying you have CCTV - they always put people off.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
You can get split bamboo screening panels that are over six feet high - they're not at all bulky, and could be affixed to the inside of the wall.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I don't want to worry you (but this probably will:() but if I were riding an attractive horse I would want to check the locks on my gates/fencing etc very carefully for a while. I don't suppose you got the car type or number?
Yes, check your security. What other parts of your property may she have captured on her film? I would be very vigilant for the foreseeable. If you do have vehicle details a call to your local plod may not go amiss.

ycbm

Visit site
The biggest problem with such things at that height above sea level is that the wind destroys such in no time!

Yup, no chance of a fence still being there at the end of winter ?

I want mirrors, I can't have them, either.

ycbm

Visit site
Is there a way to stop access to the bank ? .

No, people stop on the road all the time to photo the view in front of them, and it's a steep climb up the bank, which is a public verge. Nobody except a friend out on his bike has done it before.

I'm sure she was just a stupid tourist. It would be extremely difficult to steal the horses, I'm not worried about that.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It's just weird, as a stranger, to think it ok to film someone on their own property.

In the beginning of this Corona Virus stuff, people were magically discovering the great outdoors. I've never seen so many people outside, and haven't seen so many since. I was riding on one of our outdoor schools and acquired a small audience. No one recording or anything, just stopping for a minute or two to have a look. Bothered me a wee bit, but I suppose they thought it was interesting as they passed by on the trail. If one had recorded me, I certainly would've said something! But fortunately, everyone knew better.

Idk, the woman might've liked the view and thought it neat that someone was riding a horse. Still doesn't make it ok though.

Frumpoon

Visit site
It's just weird, as a stranger, to think it ok to film someone on their own property.

In the beginning of this Corona Virus stuff, people were magically discovering the great outdoors. I've never seen so many people outside, and haven't seen so many since. I was riding on one of our outdoor schools and acquired a small audience. No one recording or anything, just stopping for a minute or two to have a look. Bothered me a wee bit, but I suppose they thought it was interesting as they passed by on the trail. If one had recorded me, I certainly would've said something! But fortunately, everyone knew better.

Idk, the woman might've liked the view and thought it neat that someone was riding a horse. Still doesn't make it ok though.