Filthy Grey Mare on Boxrest!!

evsj

Visit site
OK, my horse has got two more weeks on boxrest following her tendon sprain. After this I can start putting her out on restricted grazing for 6 weeks then three months of normal field rest.

As she is now having the winter to rest and recouperate, obviously I am not going to clip her and let the coat grow to do its job.

Trouble is she's grey...or she was, now more of a browny/greeny/yellow all over!! Would I be hindering her natural coat from keeping her warm if I was to put a cotton summer sheet on her in the stable?

I can't bear to see her looking such a mess - she's gone from being a sleek, muscley, eventer to a scruffy and slightly negelcted-looking horse in just four weeks. I have been giving her a quick groom every few days but she hates and it doesn't remove the stains.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Its simple to remove stable stains, bucket of warm soapy water and a sponge then wash it off, if there really bad put soap on a wet water brush and have a scrub! I do this every moring on top of my greys.

Hornby

Visit site
Plus hugmungous great big rug to cover from her ears to her tail (and stomach) and a clean bed!! (works for me - remove stains every day too, then they are easier)

Jemayni

Visit site
Am i terrible in saying I just don't bother. Unless she gets sores, I really can't see the benefit in removing stains and hence removing the grease, just for the sake of a dazzling grey. shes on field/box rest, no-one will see her, she'll stay warm, get a big coat so grin and bear it.

Otherwise bath her and rug
smirk.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I second Jemayni. Who cares if she has stable stains? My greys are always grubby! I ride them with massive stains all the time! The ONLY time I care is obviously if they're going to an event etc. Otherwise, sod it let them be dirty I say!

Weezy

Visit site
I am with Jemayni and MM - I have a horse on loan that wont be turned out in a rg, he is a filth magnet - but I would prefer to keep the natural oils in his coat, so dirty he is (well not dirty, just stained!)