Finally eventing again - West Buckland Novice

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Having started our season early this year at Moreton on the first weekend of the season I didn't expect to only be writing my second report this weekend :( Firstly cancellations at Aldon and Gatcombe and then an overreach injury xc schooling has set us back. Indeed the entry to West Buckland was fairly last minute when the vet gave the go ahead resulting in us being placed in the Open Novice with the proper horses!!

It wasn't a great start to the weekend getting to the stabling. Remind me that booking the closest isn't always the best option!! The stabling itself was lovely but access was by a lot of narrow roads really not helped when there was confusion over the directions resulting me in driving the shiney smart (small HGV) lorry through narrow villages with barely an inch either side, over hump back bridges that didn't look wide enough and turning round in places barely big enough for a car! :eek: Very stressed when we arrived that night.

Found a slightly better route to the event although still a few hairy moments, proud to say no dents added :D

Well West Buckland was not what I was expecting :eek: my understanding was a fairly short and straightforward course albeit well built. In contrast it was a testing course of a decent distance. Whilst this did give me some concerns re Pips fitness I was quite pleased as in 2 weeks we are entered for our first intermediate :eek::eek::eek: The course was designed by Lucy Weigersma and had a lot of boldness and accuracy questions but actually rode really well. It was brilliantly built and presented and I would recommend anyone to make the trip. The course pictures are on my website if anyone wants a nose. http://www.shoestringeventing.co.uk/coursepictures.html

Dressage I got a little bit behind (took too long walking the course) and Pip needed definitely needed more warm up, even more than I had planned! She has been doing so well in the dressage (BD version) but got very tense particularly in the middle section. However I was actually really pleased with a 33.5 in a strong section that didn't put us too far out of touch.

Dressage video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=requRhjP5zs

Show jumping has always been the most difficult phase. However a few weeks ago I finally splashed out on a saddle for Pip as she has never had one that has been a great fit. It has certainly made me feel guilty as it has made a huge difference to her way of going, the saddler says the old one would have pinched her as she landed, the new one is nice and wide over the withers and gives her plenty of room to move. I don't think she is ever going to be in Sarnie's class SJing but we have now given her the best possible chance to jump as well as she can.

I was delighted with the way she jumped, our best round to date. We did have two hefty rubs but the poles stayed up and that is all that matters. I rather lost my position over the yellow spread at 5 when her jump sent me into orbit!

SJ video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FJLjaBIxBs

So a quick change for xc and the sudden realisation I hadn't attached my hit air attachment to the saddle or even brought it with me :rolleyes: A quick tour of the trade stands found no spares but a suitable bit of string was added!! :cool:

XC was running late maybe the organisers regretted the number of frangible pins they had used. :eek: There were a fair few stops for repairs or falls which never helps ones frame of mind :(. Even as I was being counted down the red light came on and there was a 5 minute delay.

We eventually set off and over the first 4 straightforward fences. 5 was the first question having come through a narrow gateway there was a very narrow brush to jump. It is only this season that Pip has really started to lock on and although not the prettiest jump no question of anything bar jumping.

Next was decent spread then a right turn on 4 strides to a step 2 strides to a skinny house. It was when we went through this very smoothly in a good forward rhythm that my confidence suddenly grew and I let the handbrake off so we powered up the hill over a straightforward fence before we came to a big ditch rail ditch combo.

The ditch was huge the dog refused to jump it and I nearly didn't make it! Pip however made nothing of it or the big trekanner that followed. The rail under the tree to the corner on 5 strides also swept past comfortably before we approached the biggest bounce I have ever seen at Novice! (There was an option to jump both parts separately)

I didn't see the best stride but she was very athletic and coped easily. We powered over a few simple fences before the water which I thought again was strong. There was a decent hanging log jumping straight into water then out in 4 strides over an angled brush. She backed off on approach but a strong leg aid and she really took it on stayed straight and powered through :cool:

We finished with 4 time faults which seeing the ground was sticky in places and we had dawdled initially was very pleasing. Even better in a strong class of 42 Open Novices we were placed 9th finishing on 37.5!

So absolutely delighted she gave me a real feeling of class and I feel we are ready to finally tackle Intermediate with confidence. So it is Pontispool in 2 weeks please keep everything crossed for no disasters and a good run.

Last edited:

PorkChop

Visit site
Fantastic result, well done.

Your sj round was great, you kept in a lovely rhythm, very professional looking :)

Good luck for your first run at intermediate, you won't need it, you look more than ready.

Tangaroo

Visit site
What a great result after such a chaotic run up. Glad she is feeling so well. Look forward to hearing your Pontispool report, best of luck .

Dusty85

Visit site
Congrats! You both look quite the team in your pictures.

I have the same XC top as you! (although white stars!)

Onwards and upwards as my instructor would say! :D

letsgobonkers

Visit site
Think it was probably my input on twitter that gave you the impression of the 'up to height but short course'. Just to clarify, due to last years cancellation there hasn't been a novice run there until this year - the one that was prepped for last year was nothing like as strong and around 4min distance wise - 90 and 100's in previous yrs (when I was helping to organise) were just 3.5mins. Just wanted to clarify and apologise if you think I gave you the wrong impression.
Anyway, glad your horse went so well and you had a great run. It was a v strong track and sure it will be perfect stepping stone for your first Intermediate. Well done! :)))

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Think it was probably my input on twitter that gave you the impression of the 'up to height but short course'. Just to clarify, due to last years cancellation there hasn't been a novice run there until this year - the one that was prepped for last year was nothing like as strong and around 4min distance wise - 90 and 100's in previous yrs (when I was helping to organise) were just 3.5mins. Just wanted to clarify and apologise if you think I gave you the wrong impression.
Anyway, glad your horse went so well and you had a great run. It was a v strong track and sure it will be perfect stepping stone for your first Intermediate. Well done! :)))

It was ok she was fit enough :) Actually I thought it was a brilliant track gave me loads of confidence for intermediate yet I saw some v inexperienced combinations gain loads of confidence. I will be going back again if I can :)

letsgobonkers

Visit site
Ahh good! And phew :) super piccys btw. It did seem to ride pretty well for all sorts of combinations - the intro actually caused the most problems :/
Best of luck for your intermediate.