Finally introducing the gorgeous chocolate Muffin!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Finally got the weather for some pictures. I have to say I'm thrilled with these. I bought him four months ago and I've been working relentlessly through the winter at getting him to release himself and go forwards. I don't think he was truly sound when I bought him. His front feet were a very odd shape, 130mm from toe to heel and 150 mm from side to side. My guess is that he was equally bilateral lame in front and that if we had nerve blocked one front foot he would have shown up lame. I got his shoes off at four weeks, and as his front feet turned into a round shape (they are now 140 x 140, his shoulders began to unlock and he began to go forward. I am absolutely thrilled with these videos from today.

To summarise, he's eight years old, 16.1hh and was bred as a hurdler, trained as a hurdler, but never raced. He was the stiffest, stuffiest, most backward thinking TB I have ever retrained. He's interesting mentally, you don't try and make him do anything, you just work around issues until he agrees to release and use himself. He is nowhere near fully muscled yet, I think there is a lot more to come!

It was his third time out today, and he was much improved to handle on the ground. He was even tacked up tied to the van, which we haven't managed before as he was too aerated.

His full name is Muffin McClay, friend of Hairy McClary 😂

I'm sharing these videos for all the people who have been asking to see him. I'm not looking, please, for any criticism of how he is going or of my riding.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I saw him ROR website when I was looking but I wanted something that had raced as I wanted to do ROR classes. Nice to see he found a good home and yes when he has muscled up some more looks like he will be very smart.

ycbm

Visit site
I saw him ROR website when I was looking but I wanted that had raced as I wanted to do ROR classes.

I was disappointed until I saw how few ROR dressage qualifiers there are. And I figured for £1500 I couldn't have it all 😊. I also reckoned I could send him back to his breeder/trainer to race him once if I really wanted.

I actually only bought him as a horse old enough to work this year so I wasn't tempted to do more than I should with Ludo at four. Got a feeling I landed on my feet with him!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
His name really suits him and I imagine he is going to change shape rather a lot more.

Is there a reason you waited to take shoes off (just nosey ;) )

ycbm

Visit site
Is there a reason you waited to take shoes off (just nosey ;) )

He was flat footed with severely underrun heels, and he had been shod the day before I bought him. They told me he would be crippled without shoes, but all he has is a problem with is big stones. I'm hoping we can cure that, but boots are fine if not and I decide to go somewhere stony.

He is very nice. He has a lovely walk too

That was a big surprise ! His walk is better under saddle than loose.

Lammy

Visit site
Finally! He’s a lovely looking chap. He’s got a big,noble head that looks great on a TB I think! Plus the name is just a bonus...I would love a Muffin McClay or Hairy McClary! 😂

ycbm

Visit site
Finally! He’s a lovely looking chap. He’s got a big,noble head that looks great on a TB I think! Plus the name is just a bonus...I would love a Muffin McClay or Hairy McClary! 😂

I never thought of him having a big head, but for a racing TB, he does, doesn't he? Proper full size bridle.

He's such a sweet horse to have around the place, too. His only fault that I have found so far is that he bites other horse's rugs.

ycbm

Visit site
When he has strength and balance, that walk will score 9's. It will take you a good while to produce him, but he is going to be very nice.

Thank you AA, I know you know a good horse when you see one. He came to me with some very severe muscle atrophy, all down his back, and a dipped stomach line. In one of his sales photos he appeared to be sway backed. I can't account for it just by him having been roughed off for a long time, I can only assume it was his feet. He has a lot of muscle still to build, but it's happening, and I'm in no rush.