FINALLY LC gets his debut and PF her comeback

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Last Wednesday I heard about a show at my Old Yard on Sunday and thought I'd give it a crack.The next day my puppy, Juana, became very unwell and I gave it until Friday to make my mind up. Juana perked up a bit, the vet was finally able to give me a more cheerful prognosis, and I rang to get transport. Jorge, the trailer man said he could take the kids over on the Saturday, which actually suited me quite well as it would give me the chance to show LC around.
So, we arrived without incident, settled the kids in, had the obligatory barbecue and in the afternoon rode them both a bit. I had exercised LC in the morning so I was just showing him the sights, and PF is an old pro and only really needed loosening up. LC was much admired for his dazzling prettiness and general adorability and someone asked me if I'd sell. Airily, I replied yes; US$15k... which of course is code for "I don't really want to sell, thanks for asking". I was rather flattered that they didn't laugh at me, but then LC's daddy is currently doing rather well in the US and LC is his absolute spit so his stock is quite high.
Anyway, I'd entered LC for 50cm and 60cm, tentatively considering 70cm. The actual JUMPING part worried me not a jot because he's jumped plenty more than that at home, but the thought of the collecting ring swarming with small children with scant control of their horses was filling my heart with a cold dread, and the YO's wife likes to decorate the ring like a carnival float; flowers and plants everywhere. At home we school in a largish field with plain poles and I have to beg people to ride in there with me in an effort to acclimatise LC to 'Other Ridden Horses'.

My field;
942403_10151674787626798_1105083204_n.jpg

Got to the yard v early on Sunday and met with all the other Nervous Owners/Riders with First Time horses. We all had set, serious expressions, pale faces, churning stomachs and were lunging before the tiny tots arrived. We nodded to each other in silent empathy.
I'd asked the organisers to send me in first so I could 'get it over with' and warm up before the collecting ring was actually heaving. At the really low heights or if you are a pro schooling a baby round and competing HC, you are allowed to go in the ring and show them the fences before you jump so in we went. LC snorted a bit at the first, danced sideways and then decided it was all absolutely fine. I waved at Diego, the photographer who said it was v nice to see me back competing (it's been more than 3 years!) and asked him to take lots of photos.
LC was equally fine in the collecting ring and warmed up very nicely staying soft and round despite one child on a little buckskin pony who was an absolute menace, galloping round as if he were riding the Derby. He actually jumped the warm up fence the wrong way with another horse coming the right way and they crossed over the fence! If the little sh** had come anywhere near me I'd've gleefully cracked him one with my whip.
In we went for 50cm. Jumped the first, LC then skipped sideways when a pram emerged from behind a hedge, got him together for the second and the rest of the round went without incident until we got over the 7th, which was facing the exit, and he thought we'd finished and tried to depart. I managed to steer him left and we jumped the last to go clear and one very happy mummy.
In again later for 60cm and no spooking, LC actually getting a bit blasé, he barely dragged himself over the 3rd so I gave him a telling off and he picked up to go clear again.
Up to and including 80cm, the rounds are ridden to an optimum time; the rider closest to the time wins. Had we not been HC, LC would've placed, not least because so many of the little uns got lost/fell off/had too many refusals etc, but I was just thrilled that he was so calm and grown up and decided that he'd done more than enough for his first show.
Look how purrrdy he is (It was so cold that we weren't required to wear jackets for the first 2 classes)

This is us nearly going the wrong way to the last
601830_10151685543871798_1924404449_n.jpg

I didn't realise he flung his toes out like that
296132_10151685544016798_1657064187_n.jpg

945726_10151685545196798_738625030_n.jpg

50cm
944557_10151685545421798_1961200157_n.jpg

On to PF. Before I went back to the UK in 2010, I was competing up to 1.10m and in 3era Categoría. 3era starts at 90cm but I don't have the nerves I used to so entered PF for 80cm and then 90cm.
In 3era the schooling pros jump first, then the under 16s, then the rest of us. So even if you're going in first, as I was, you have a longish wait and the chance to watch lots of rider. I promptly forgot that for 80cm I was jumping outside my category so I would be going in with the pros and therefore in the FIRST bunch of riders, not the 3rd. I realised with 2 to jump that PF was calming waiting in a stable so I scrambled to beg the judges to switch me round, which they did, God love 'em.
PF is a very forward sort of horse. The best strategy when she's lit up is to sit quietly and place her as well as you can at the fence, then let her get on with it. This was the mood she was in, joyfully ballooning over the warm up fences and frankly, showing off a bit. She was thrilled to be back and very much on her toes. I rode her rather cautiously and held her back more than necessary for a slow, but VERY clear round. She was miles over everything and very rideable. I would allow her to canter more in 90cm. Whether the height of the fences in warm up (well over 90cm!) were too much, or the atmosphere got to her, or whether I didn't warm her up sufficiently I don't know, but we had 2 stops and she never EVER stops so I withdrew her. There will be a next time.
Anyway, I bought a few photos (22, in fact) and the videos. The photographers are my best mates and call me 'Pili', LOL.
PF's 80cm round. She has a very cool Stencil bum design clipped on her bottom. It has my name over an artist's palette :)

944258_10151685543641798_1199293820_n.jpg

Hate my hands in this, but PF is bootiful
429918_10151685542246798_1585664230_n.jpg

582070_10151685542216798_1762044343_n.jpg

I'm alive!! This is the 'after' face. The 'before' face looks like a slapped bum :p
922954_10151685542531798_2052847661_n.jpg

teapot

Visit site
Have missed your threads - great to see you out and about on both of them :biggrin3:

Although what no pink?!