Financial contributions for sharers

SBJT

Visit site
Not read the thread - 30 quid a day for part livery? Where is this horse stabled? Next to Valegro?

I've hopefully just found someone to help with my ponies, not asking for any money, them being reliable and willing to help with chores is all I ask
I’m so glad you saw that too. I thought I was being crazy or board prices went through the roof. Even close to Spruce Meadows here it’s not as much as that per month.

SBJT

Visit site
I’m so glad you saw that too. I thought I was being crazy or board prices went through the roof. Even close to Spruce Meadows here it’s not as much as that per month.
Never mind I saw the other message.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Agreed. I never understood wanting sharers to pay. If you're in a situation where you want your horse exercised and they're doing you a favor then it's a win win; they get to ride and you don't have to pay a professional to exercise your horse. I'd be willing to pay to share a good horse but it would have to be excellent in all disciplines.

My occasional rider for my old guy pays £5 towards shoes for plus poo-picking on the days she rides. I’d ask about £10-15 a time for a regular sharer of my younger horse. It’s mutually beneficial because she gets to hack a well-mannered, schooled quality horse that she wouldn’t get in a riding school and would have to pay £30 plus an hour for the privilege. I get someone to help exercise him whilst I ride my other horse. She’s not capable of improving him and she’s also learning more about day to day care practicalities that she wouldn’t otherwise get. Such as how not to put a rug on inside out and boots upside down 😳

I’ve been a sharer on the other side and I was more than happy to contribute to costs given that I’m not coming with a skill set the likes of Charlotte Dujardin!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Sharers require a great deal of supervision, at least for the first few months. If you don't charge anything at all you'll get an endless array of flakes who use you as free riding lessons for a few weeks (taking up your precious weekend free time) then disappear.

I ask for a regular £30/mth for that reason. My costs are low (not on livery), but at that I can be sure I won't make a profit, but neither will I get taken advantage of. It also means that sharers are around long enough to build a relationship with the ponies, and learn basic safety etc, even if they never get even close to 'improving' them.

Not necessarily! I have never been a flake using people as free riding lessons or required any supervision at all and neither have my sharers. You just need to choose carefully at the outset.

SBJT

Visit site
I’ve been looking for a shared for my horse for a couple of years now. We charge per month here but it’s the equivalent of about £20 to £25 per week all in. That’s for a couple of rides, but I insist on lessons as my horse is well trained and we have a lot of people here who assume they can ride when they’ve only had 5 rides in their life and no lessons. It takes more time to weed out the idiots who think of horses as more like machines and they can just get on and immediately gallop like in the movies...

Otherwise

Visit site
Funnily enough just seen an ad on Facebook looking for someone to ride 2/3 days a week, horse "needs more schooling on flat and jumping... no novices, must be able to school a horse and be competent" for £20/30 a week plus yard duties. When did paying for the pleasure of schooling someone else's horse rather than getting paid start?

Leandy

Visit site
Some people appear not to understand the cost of keeping a horse. Whilst £30 a day for part livery would be very steep, I pay £23 a day. If you add shoeing, vets fees, saddler, insurance, equipment etc etc on top of the actual livery cost, you wouldn't be far off £30.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Not necessarily! I have never been a flake using people as free riding lessons or required any supervision at all and neither have my sharers. You just need to choose carefully at the outset.

Sadly, you are the exception. Most people think 'yay' free riding, then realise that they don't quite like rain/mud/hard work/getting up on Sundays - (I suspect it's actually usually because they expected me to catch and groom for them too). If you're lucky you get a text with an excuse.

Good sharers are, however, fantastic, and I count myself lucky to have them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Funnily enough just seen an ad on Facebook looking for someone to ride 2/3 days a week, horse "needs more schooling on flat and jumping... no novices, must be able to school a horse and be competent" for £20/30 a week plus yard duties. When did paying for the pleasure of schooling someone else's horse rather than getting paid start?

this seemed to start in the last few years, as i said before people used to pay me to hack their horses and although i was a competent, caring rider that they could trust not to gallop all over the place ,i was not schooling them just hacking also didnt do any jobs...
the person on facebook is going to be lucky to find a mug to do all of that and pay as well!!!!! even if they didnt want jobs done its still ridiculous to expect someone to school and improve their horse for free and pay for the pleasure||!!|!!!

ihatework

Visit site
The way I see it is if the sharer is doing the owner a favour - I.e they are competent and reliable enough to maintain the status quo of the horse, or god forbid improve it - then no money.

If the owner is doing the sharer a favour, ie providing someone who doesn’t have the finance and/or experience for the calibre of horse being provided then it’s perfectly reasonable for them to pay - these types of sharers are often a huge hassle!!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I have two sharers, they both do a week day and an alternate weekend day. Each pays £12 per day, plus they can use him for a riding lesson with their instructor if they'd like. If they go on holiday or my horse is unable to be ridden that day then I don't charge them. If I go on holiday then they pay their usual days and can do the other days for free.

Trinket12

Visit site
@SBJT we must be in the same area, I ride in Delta!

I’m thinking of leasing my new mare out to a more experienced rider, mainly to help with her schooling which in turn will help my riding. My coach knows of someone, and has recommend around $300 (£180) a month, that would be for 2 rides a week. It seems pretty standard in Canada to charge, I think a lot of people do it to help pay for board.

SBJT

Visit site
@SBJT we must be in the same area, I ride in Delta!

I’m thinking of leasing my new mare out to a more experienced rider, mainly to help with her schooling which in turn will help my riding. My coach knows of someone, and has recommend around $300 (£180) a month, that would be for 2 rides a week. It seems pretty standard in Canada to charge, I think a lot of people do it to help pay for board.
Lol we are (kind of). I’m in Calgary so you’re just on the other side of the Rockies!

Yeah I think it is too. My coach always charged about $240 so its around the same. It’s just more to help with board, shoes etc than trying to make any money out of it.

With the right rider it can work out great! Problem is in Calgary there are a lot of yahoos especially around Stampede that want to give riding a go and think of a horse like an ATV....

stormox

Visit site
Personally I think if someone is competent - and remember every time someone sits on and handles a horse they are teaching it something - good or bad - they shouldnt have to pay.
Their time and money is valuable and it could work out cheaper to let them use the horse for free then get paid for someone to ruin it!!

Trinket12

Visit site
Lol we are (kind of). I’m in Calgary so you’re just on the other side of the Rockies!

Yeah I think it is too. My coach always charged about $240 so its around the same. It’s just more to help with board, shoes etc than trying to make any money out of it.

With the right rider it can work out great! Problem is in Calgary there are a lot of yahoos especially around Stampede that want to give riding a go and think of a horse like an ATV....
Oops, got Thunderbird and Spruce Meadows mixed up 🙄😃

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m posting on behalf of a friend who isn’t on here.

Due to getting a new job requiring more travel time she doesn’t have as much time as she’d like for her horse and is looking for a sharer. She is hoping for a financial contribution to make costs a little easier but is unsure what to ask.

Horse is on part livery so he is mucked out, Fed and turned out etc so the only ‘jobs’ a sharer would have to do is groom and exercise the horse on their days and the occasional help with poo picking would be appreciated.

She’s worked out her livery is just under £30 a day. She was wondering if it was unreasonable to ask for the sharer to pay the livery cost for their days (as many days a week as they like, she’s fully flexible) or should it be less than that?

She doesn’t want help with vets bills or farrier costs either.
Our sharer's pay £ 15 per day they have .

Cowpony

Visit site
I've never charged a sharer. They have always been people from our yard, so I know how they ride and trust them to look after my horse. I take the view that it costs me the same amount whether my horse is sitting around in the field or being ridden by my sharer, and they are doing me a favour by keeping her exercised and looking after her on their days. They also think they are getting a good deal because they get a horse to ride for free, and to compete occasionally. It works well for both of us.