Find me some long reins

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hermosa has mastered single line lunging, so we are quickly graduating to long lining. I have always done it with two bog-standard lunge lines, but with every horse, I have always thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice to have proper, easy-to-handle long lines, rather than this faffy tangly mess of two lunge lines." Seeing as we will be doing a lot of this, for some time, I am trying to find a pair. As ever, it's really hard to get a sense of what things are like from pictures and descriptions on the web.

Can anyone recommend any that they like?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have always used driving reins.

Yeah, I ran a search for driving reins and was presented with a bewildering array of things. Given I know as much about carriage driving as I do about brain surgery, I ran away!

Get different colours for the left and right reins if you can.

That is a good idea, but no one seems to make that. Not that I've found. A gap in the market?

I have some which are web at the hand end and cord at the horse end, so they run smoothly through the roller etc but are comfortable to hold.

like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Y4GU4A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those look nice, and they don't cost the earth.

Cragrat

Visit site

vhf

Visit site
That is a good idea, but no one seems to make that. Not that I've found. A gap in the market?

Sew coloured tabs on the hand and bit ends. 1 colour left, 1 colour right.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I have some which are web at the hand end and cord at the horse end, so they run smoothly through the roller etc but are comfortable to hold.

like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Y4GU4A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve got these and they are stiff as anything and horrible to use. I tried soaking the webbing part to soften them to no avail and as they have leather bits you can’t do a full wash. I have a pair I want to get rid of if you want them.

vhf

Visit site
If you're changing the rein, or if you get into some sort of a pickle which involves dropping a rein, it is very handy having colour coded reins.
People who never get into a pickle will not appreciate how handy it is to know which rein is which at a glance ?.

I am capable of pickling myself with one rein and over 40 years' experience at it! Truthfully, I would probably also need matching gloves to even look vaguely competent... I've just accepted that in some areas, I am a klutz.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’ve got these and they are stiff as anything and horrible to use. I tried soaking the webbing part to soften them to no avail and as they have leather bits you can’t do a full wash. I have a pair I want to get rid of if you want them.
how weird. they are the exact ones i bought, had to go into my previous orders to find them. These were a replacement for an identical pair bought 10 years ago that an acquaintance trashed. both pairs have been fine o_O

daydreamer

Visit site
This company will make things to order, and they're really good quality.

https://www.horseleads.co.uk/shop

I bought some from here. Two different colours to help me keep track (I can get in a bit of a muddle!). I have reverted to lunge lines though as I found the rope I had selected was a bit too heavy over a long length and that also the part where the clip attaches to the rope is too big to go through my roller metal loops so I always had to feed through from the rope end which was a faff. (Sorry for rubbish description of parts, it has been along day!)

maya2008

Visit site
‘Long reins’ on eBay. Lots of choice!

It is SO good using correctly sized long reins. Life changing - I went from hating long reining to quite liking it! I have cute pony sized ones for our dinky 3yo ?.