Finding a good instructor

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This advice pops up so often in response to posts about schooling issues, as if it is as simple as popping up the road and picking one out.

But it's not that simple. We all know it isn't. So the question is, how do you go about finding a 'good' instructor?

Do you look for someone with certain qualifications? Someone at a certain competitive level? Someone who openly espouses training principles similar to your own? Someone recommended by a friend? Someone who seems to have been riding for at least 2 centuries?

And do you think there is any merit in having different instructors for different horses?

Interested in experiences, whether leading to successfully finding a 'good' instructor or not.

ihatework

Visit site
A bit of all those really. But when push comes to shove it's a bit of trial and error!
In general, I'd say the biggest influence is friends who are good horsepeople and who know me, suggest who to try and I trust their judgement enough to do just that

teapot

Visit site
Personal recommendation over anything else and a personal enough recommendation to know whether personalities would suit too. I do look at qualifications too but having all the paperwork in the world means nothing if you don't get on with them, share the same humour, thought process, training principles imho.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
oooooh a nice can of worms! :D

Obviously it depends a little on your personal ambitions and objectives for the tuition....
when I was looking for help with getting Kira untangled during her horrendous rebacking process, I wanted someone with horse sense and patience, qualifications and competitive experience were meaningless - I just needed help to get her on board with the concept of being ridden. I spoke to a few people on the phone and arrange to see the one I got the best 'vibe' from. She's quite out there - we are chalk and cheese but it worked well and I am still in touch with her.

Now, I need someone who has ridden AND trained horses & riders to the dizzy heights I dream of :eek: Yes, dressage training is more than just competing, but to do well I think you need coaching in all aspects of ringcraft, strategic competing, understanding judge comments etc as well as the actual training of the horse. I'm not swayed by qualifications at all - I couldn't give a toss if they have no letters after their name if they have the experience & talent to pass on.

I happen to have settled with someone recommended by a friend (also someone who is highly qualified) but only because I'd been to watch her lessons. I also think that personal 'fit' is vital, you need someone who understands how you tick because that makes for productive and enjoyable sessions.

I have had different trainers for different horses and will do so again in the future (intended 2nd trainer is currently out of action). They are literally from the same stable :lol: so very complementary. I've found in the past that a second set of eyes can uncover some tiny details that make all the difference.

The other consideration I would have is availability... I find that we progress best with some kind of intervention every fortnight or so. I can potter away at home for months but I'd feel frustrated if I couldn't get a booking at that kind of frequency.

Last edited:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I look less at qualifications and more at their expertise and proven results in the field I need help in. Whether that be a specific discipline or issue with my horse. Though I am an adult so qualifications and relevant certificates are perhaps less important for me than with a child. I found my dressage trainer through a demo she did locally, and other people through word of mouth. I've also had some excellent instruction at days organised by BD being a guinea pig for judge/coach training.

I haven't had many lessons with my baby horse as she needed a quite relaxed approach to contact and pressure initially, being a bit nappy and sharp, she's grown up a bit now and think she's probably ok to start lessons now. I definitely think different trainers suit different horses, as she is very different to my older horse.

I am overall a bit rubbish though at having regular lessons :eek:, not sure why really as I enjoy improving!

milliepops

Visit site
I would add, something so important *to me* that I can't believe I didn't put it in my first reply...

someone who understands your goals and can support you to achieve them. Nothing worse than someone crushing your aspirations - no need to be unrealistic but I want to feel like they are behind me and will help me to achieve what I can.

I have had a trainer in the past who I felt undermined by - it was quite apparent that she wasn't bowled over by my horsepower and that's a real turn off- I know my steeds are not worldbeaters but they can still be improved, as can I!

View

Visit site
I have had a trainer in the past who I felt undermined by - it was quite apparent that she wasn't bowled over by my horsepower and that's a real turn off

It's worse than a turn off. It took my husband to make me realise that I was coming back from every lesson demoralised. And confidence sapping that people that I was teaching on the same horse could get him going better than I could. The penny finally dropped, and after a couple of months with someone else my confidence has returned, the horse derided as useless is working better than before I broke my ankle a year ago, I look forward to riding him again and we (horse and I) are enjoying ourselves again.

Qualifications aren't everything, but they should ensure a bottom line of safety.

Word of mouth, and then watching them coach before talking to them.

I feel so upset that I didn't listen to what this lovely horse was telling me - so yes, the horse has a say as well.

madamebonnie

Visit site
Social media.

I bought my first horse whilst living in a new area for me. I have some great horse friends but noone on the same page with what I would like to achieve and how seriously I take my schooling. I may not reach dizzying height but I want everything done correctly and really value a good instructor.

She has a social media page where I could see some results her other clients were posting-good ones on ordinary horses. She had a good sense of humour along with qualifications and experience.

Obviously not everyone is on facebook but it really did give me a good indication and she is fab.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have had a trainer in the past who I felt undermined by - it was quite apparent that she wasn't bowled over by my horsepower and that's a real turn off- I know my steeds are not worldbeaters but they can still be improved, as can I!

I agree with this, but equally I want someone who picks up on any issues and doesn't beat about the bush telling me, and then telling me how to correct them. I don't need the Happy Sandwich :) My all time favourite instructor is incredibly sarcastic and very funny - we gel well!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I agree with this, but equally I want someone who picks up on any issues and doesn't beat about the bush telling me, and then telling me how to correct them. I don't need the Happy Sandwich :) My all time favourite instructor is incredibly sarcastic and very funny - we gel well!

But that is different to someone who is undermining you and not improving you as they don't see the point as your horse is rubbish, not saying MP's instructor did that but it's a slippery slope of the instructor not giving their all as they don't think you will ever get there.

I am good at just cracking on, but it's easy how the odd 'I'd wait before trying that level/test' can slowly creep in to we're not good enough, and never progressing the training as you're only competing at a certain level, so you don't need to be thinking pirouette canter or half steps trot...

JustMe22

Visit site
I moved to a new area and old instructor couldn't travel. I asked around at the yard and on social media, and then had try out lessons with about 8 different instructors who came well-recommended. I actually didn't realise it at the time, but the instructor I chose has competed GP, is also a British person living in SA, and teaches a local woman who everyone praises for her lovely style of riding at GP.

She was also the only one who came in and really changed my way of thinking and was the one I felt would challenge us.

As it happens, the horse is now doing all of the 'challenging' I could ever hope for, so really don't need any extra challenges from the instructor :D

j1ffy

Visit site
But that is different to someone who is undermining you and not improving you as they don't see the point as your horse is rubbish, not saying MP's instructor did that but it's a slippery slope of the instructor not giving their all as they don't think you will ever get there.

I am good at just cracking on, but it's easy how the odd 'I'd wait before trying that level/test' can slowly creep in to we're not good enough, and never progressing the training as you're only competing at a certain level, so you don't need to be thinking pirouette canter or half steps trot...

This 100%. I've found instructors through people my friend's have used / instructors visiting the yard and also my current YO (who thankfully is fab!). As others have said it's good to watch lessons or videos of lessons and also to make sure that friends who are recommending instructors have similar preferences and goals to your own.

I had a previous instructor who gave me a stare of death when I entered my then 6yo PRE for two unaffiliated Prelim tests and when I asked her what was wrong she said she didn't think he was ready yet! Talk about deflating. I went along anyway and got two 70%+ scores. Since then I've realised how controlling and undermining she was, if a 20m circle wasn't perfect you weren't going to move onto anything more complex and if it wasn't her idea she wasn't happy about you doing it.

I need instructors who are honest and realistic (e.g. "the day we get a proper medium trot from P is the day we should both retire!") but also encouraging (e.g. "collection and canter are his strong points so move up levels so he can show them off"). I like to train correctly / classically but I also have ambitions and want to move up the levels, even though we're never going to be world-beaters. I'm lucky enough to have found instructors who understand that and help me along :)

milliepops

Visit site
do you think it's vanity on the part of these negative trainers? I learned SOOOOO much when I did my first advanced medium, we all knew we weren't going to rock amazing scores but the intention when entering was (a) to get over the hump of doing the first test at that level, with all the nerves etc that come with it, (b) to achieve a fairly long term goal with a horse that had a checkered medical history and (c) as a learning experience

My trainer was up for that as could see the benefit of all of those *to me* as a rider - it made me then ride subsequent ele/medium tests better because I had gained more experience.

I wonder whether other trainers would be looking to preserve their reputation, i.e. not wanting to be associated with someone taking a risk who might get a poor score?
or *whispers* in some case is it possible that less experienced trainers need to keep their pupils below a certain level in order to keep the repeat business...... :rolleyes:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
do you think it's vanity on the part of these negative trainers? I learned SOOOOO much when I did my first advanced medium, we all knew we weren't going to rock amazing scores but the intention when entering was (a) to get over the hump of doing the first test at that level, with all the nerves etc that come with it, (b) to achieve a fairly long term goal with a horse that had a checkered medical history and (c) as a learning experience

My trainer was up for that as could see the benefit of all of those *to me* as a rider - it made me then ride subsequent ele/medium tests better because I had gained more experience.

I wonder whether other trainers would be looking to preserve their reputation, i.e. not wanting to be associated with someone taking a risk who might get a poor score?
or *whispers* in some case is it possible that less experienced trainers need to keep their pupils below a certain level in order to keep the repeat business...... :rolleyes:

I could not comment on those two points :lol: to be honest I'm surprised anyone would want to be associated with the crazed carriage horses :lol:...

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I'm also struggling with this, I have messaged 2 instructors months ago, both highly recommended and not had a reply back with any dates as they said. I take it they're busy. It isn't easy.. I haven't had a lesson now for about 3 months as I can't find a decent instructor.

I had one years ago that made us walk the entire lesson, building the walk muscles 'apparently'.. mind we had been show jumping, cross country, so she wasn't unfit.
I did have a excellent instructor who stopped our lessons as he couldn't do weekends anymore due to being to busy and didn't want to do 6pm on a weekday evenings (work 9-5 office hours) however he asked if i could take a the afternoon off every time i wanted a lesson every other week - ugggh not possible!

So currently on the hunt for a decent instructor in the Bristol area if anyone knows of any, need to work on our flat mainly. I have 2 ponies i'd like to BE one day, a few instructors have laughed when I say I want to BE ponies.

Last edited:

j1ffy

Visit site

I'm fairly sure that for some it's vanity and the idea that the rider can't possibly have a better idea than they do. Also lack of experience - knowing which more advanced exercises can help the more basic work is something trainers usually learn from bringing their own horses; also once a rider gets above a certain level they may no longer feel qualified to work with them. And control - some instructors want to ensure a rider keeps coming back to them and also make them dependent for every step they make. Like any relationship, it can be hard to recognise until you get some distance!

Bernster

Visit site
I'm fairly sure that for some it's vanity and the idea that the rider can't possibly have a better idea than they do. Also lack of experience - knowing which more advanced exercises can help the more basic work is something trainers usually learn from bringing their own horses; also once a rider gets above a certain level they may no longer feel qualified to work with them. And control - some instructors want to ensure a rider keeps coming back to them and also make them dependent for every step they make. Like any relationship, it can be hard to recognise until you get some distance!

I wonder whether part of it is also judging by their own standards i.e. they wouldn't compete at that level with your horse so don't think that you would/should, not accounting for the fact that maybe their standards might be too high? I can understand they might do this if they felt the experience would be really demoralising for the rider, but even then I reckon it'd be better to talk it through and find out what the rider wants from the outing at that level.

As for the OP - it's been a mixture of those for me, in particular availability and proximity for regular lessons. There are actually a lot of instructors around my area and I probably have far too many 'cooks' in my training! For long term/regular lessons then it's very much about a good personal fit, being supportive and encouraging whilst challenging me gradually, and being clear in how they communicate. None of this hollering at me endlessly "more contact" - I never did work out what she really wanted from me with that phrase.

daffy44

Visit site
All really good points, but I have just one more to add, if you like the sound of someone, or your just not sure, ask if you can go and watch a lesson, you'll learn so much more by watching, without losing money or risking your horse. If they wont let you watch, its not a good sign.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't set much stock in qualifications, competition records or personal recommendations. The former two because what, and how, they actually teach often varies hugely despite those. The latter, because people look for very different things in instructors and what works for one person, one horse, one situation, may be awful for me. I like to watch a trainer ride and teach, and consider whether I like their style, and whether I'm likely to benefit from it. I also judge their sense of humour and attitude. I have huge issues with certain types of instructor - or person really - personality clash. I'm a complicated ******.

chaps89

Visit site
I found my initial instructor as I went to watch a clinic being held locally and although she was presented with a real range of horse and rider combinations she really adapted to the individuals and I just really enjoyed her teaching style. I subsequently found out she's a BHS I, listed dressage judge and has (a long time ago now) competed internationally I think. I'm actually quite glad I didn't know that in advance as it would probably have put me off asking for help with my father hairy cob!

I have had a couple of lessons with a friend but it just wasn't clicking and I wasn't comfortable being honest in the lessons because she's a friend, so although I respect her as a rider and instructor, she wasn't for me.

Found current instructor for my mare through here. Reached desperation levels of needing help from someone with a bit more experience with rehab horses and able to commit to more regular assistance than my other instructor and sent her a message via her social media page!

I've also started having lessons on my share horse (found the my original instructor) with the owners instructor. It was quite the eye opener and the jury is still out for me. Attention to detail and accuracy were really hammered home and I felt like I was really having to work (no bad thing!) and was riding really well, as well as taking quite a bit away from it. But I felt like I was having to prove myself a little bit and didn't feel much rapport.

For me it's about how I click with the instructor and if they have the skills for the particular problems/level at that point in time.

blood_magik

Visit site
Personally I think it's trial and error.

I found my current dressage trainer when she moved to our previous yard as a livery. I watched her ride and watched her and her husband teaching before deciding to have a trial lesson as I was really impressed by what I saw.
Trainer is encouraging but at the same time she doesn't let me get away with anything and she pushes us (in a good way). She does say when she thinks we're not ready for certain things but I've never taken that to mean that we should hang up our boots and forget about ever doing it.

Jumping took me a bit longer to find the right fit. When I first moved to the UK I literally shut my eyes and chose a trainer from a list of local ones, and then stuck with them for a few years. 🙊
Current trainer has a great reputation locally and gets great results. Again, it was trial and error - was looking for a new trainer closer to where my new yard is and he was recommended by a friend who's competition horse is based with him. I have no idea what qualifications he has.

sidsmum

Visit site
I think it's trial and error.

I have had a few in the past whom I wouldn't have again because their style of training the horse was not a sympathetic as I would like. Having had a fantastic instructor who listened to the horse rather than 'forcing' him to do my bidding, I am now quite picky! This also means that as she moved away I'm in the process of trying to find another instructor to take over.

I've booked myself into a few clinics in the meantime just to keep us both ticking over and to give me schooling ideas!