Finding a good sharer...

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have a super Connemara gelding. He's 14.3hh and 19yrs old.

He's had laminitis in the past and has been previously diagnosed with EMS. Which is managed and reversed with work.

I love riding him. He's fun. Totally safe. But not push button. I've done everything with him over the years. I just don't have time to keep three in full work.

He has been being ridden by a local teen three days a week, which was working well. But the lure of hanging out on park benches with friends has got too much, and unfortunately the reliability plummeted. She has made the decision to commit to her studies and her paid work instead - which I support.

He will stay with me, I will look after him, and I don't expect money. I just want a really nice person to ride him for me three times a week so I don't have to worry about it.

I am happy to take this person hacking, if they want lessons I will take them with me when I go out and the same if they want to compete.

For the right person there might even be other horses they could ride.

I just want someone, keen, committed and kind.

Where does one find this mythical person? Where do you advertise?

oldie48

Visit site
I've been in a similar position to you and found by putting the word around with friends and the RC that I've found someone suitable. I'm now in the other position and again I am well known to the owner and I also know the horse as I've watched his competition progress over the years. The right people are out there but sometimes you have to be patient. He sounds lovely though and a nice size, suitable for a teen or a smaller adult so you might think about contacting the local pc too.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
There is a local to us FB group for sharers, a friend found a very sensible sharer from it, you have to shift through the usual bored teens but does have a high proportion of lovely sounding people on it ☺️

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I advertised as a sharer looking on a local bridleways group (I did want to keep it as local as possible) but most who have good sharers on the yard have found them by advertising on the Cambs horse fb group and some interviewing :), trial ride and maybe a lesson before everyone commits. Am sure someone would love to help you with yours.
Fwiw 2 on the yard have 2 sharers, including mine - I was brought on board due to owners cancer treatment intended as short term but still there as I’m useful, live the closest and it spreads the load when we’re all working and have other commitments. It seems to work well and we all have a similar outlook on how we do things.

previously I’ve ridden through word of mouth though (this is first time didn’t, newish to areas) and I found my sharer that way too

Armchair Eventer

Visit site
We do exist. I am currently on my second share horse at the same yard. The only reason the first share ended was because the teenage owner has left school and wanted to move yards going straight to 24 hour turn out so didn't need me to muck out, ride etc a few times a week. I have got another one who has been out of work for several years and I can treat him as my own. I am reliable. If, on odd occasions, I can't go on my regular days due to something cropping up workwise, I give as much advance warning as I can. I muck in with duties, muck out, poo pick, clean tack and shower my share projects with love. I found my first share through my local Facebook page but the second one was word of mouth.

Armchair Eventer

Visit site
Where abouts are you? As there maybe someone on here looking.
I am in West Oxfordshire, closest town Witney - there are quite a few yards in the area. I am loving my little naughty if elderly Welsh Section D bronco but am always open to suggestions. I think it's an age thing to be honest. The owner of my first share was a teenager and I was frankly appalled at times having grown up through the Pony Club and Riding Club route.

Armchair Eventer

Visit site
I am in West Oxfordshire, closest town Witney - there are quite a few yards in the area. I am loving my little naughty if elderly Welsh Section D bronco but am always open to suggestions. I think it's an age thing to be honest. The owner of my first share was a teenager and I was frankly appalled at times having grown up through the Pony Club and Riding Club route.

staffylover

Visit site
You could advertise under the Horse for Loan section of Horsequest, also Horsemart and Share my pony - there are others. I've had a lot of success with finding sharers through Horsemart.

chaps89

Visit site
I have 2 shares that are similar to the setup you have, nice horses who just need more riding than the owner can give them on their own.
I found one through an instructor I was using, the owner was another client of hers.
I’ve previously found horses to ride on preloved as well.
The other I posted on FB looking for a ride and the lady got in touch.
I’ll be moving to either South Lincolnshire or somewhere around Manchester in the next few months so if you happen to be in those areas please PM me!
Otherwise, word of mouth or FB.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I'm sure you've already put word out through your horsey contacts, but just in case you haven't it can be worth letting your farrier etc know that you are looking, as they may know someone!

Otherwise I would think it might not be so much where you advertise as to how you filter people.

I've shared etc in the past and it sounds like you have lots to offer! I'm sure there will be someone out there who is interested and suitable!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I’m on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border - if anyone does know anyone please do send me a PM.

I will be interviewing and trailing people ?

There is a local to us FB group for sharers, a friend found a very sensible sharer from it, you have to shift through the usual bored teens but does have a high proportion of lovely sounding people on it ☺️

Oh - I didn’t know that. I will have a look at there ?

Connemara24

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I’m on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border - if anyone does know anyone please do send me a PM.

I will be interviewing and trailing people ?

Oh - I didn’t know that. I will have a look at there ?

Too far unfortunately. I hope you find a good sharer.

J&S

Visit site
I rode some one elses horse for 5 years, we had all been PC mums so knew about dedication to the job! Perhaps ask local DC to recommend some one?

pistolpete

Visit site
I feel your pain. I’ve been the sharer looking for exactly what you have. I have after a year found a 19 year old safe as houses Connie! I’m in Hampshire so too far but we do exist! I now have darling Smokey two days a week and couldn’t be happier with the set up.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I found a lovely rider through preloved and another lovely lady replied to an advert I put in my local tack shop.

One does still ride my horses but she is pregnant at the moment and the other lady has her own horse now but we are still friends and meet regularly.

Karran

Visit site
I found my ShareMare on Preloved - 9 years ago! Her owner once joked that if anything happened to her, I get ShareMare in the will so i'm hoping i'm classed as a good sharer! We are out there! :)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
The first share I had responded to a Facebook post I made with a photo of me riding and a bit about myself and what I was looking for. The second one was (I think) via Preloved - I enquired at the time of the ad but they had found someone already, then months/a year or so later I got a text message from the owner to ask if I was still looking as the other sharer had moved on. Best thing that ever happened! I adore my current share horse and the share has been a better fit all round than the one I had previously. I'd like to think I'm a good sharer. I think the best thing is just for both parties to be honest about what they want to/are able contribute to the share and what they are looking to get out of it.