finding a new instructor

serena2005

Visit site
my instructor gave up teaching afew years ago but carried on teaching me and my sister just for the extra cash. now his license has run out and is unable to teach.

i still want to have lessons but i was only paying him £10 as it was just a favour he was doing us. the other instructor at our yard charges £35 for half an hour!
shocked.gif
which i cannot afford.

but i dont know any other instructors. What is the going rate these days? how do you know wether they have a good reputation?

every time i have had a lesson with another instructor, i never get on with them as their style of teaching is so different.

how many of you have experienced this? and has found a really good instructor?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Why does he need a lisence to teach you?? Can't you carry on with him regardless - or does he want to stop now?

serena2005

Visit site
YO says their insurance wouldnt cover him to teach us.

we said we would sign something to say we were doing it at our own risk, but shes having none of it
frown.gif

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Could you hire a school nearby and have your old instructor teach you ? Failing that, the best place to find a new instructor is by word of mouth. Do you belong to a riding club as quite often that's a good start ? My RC have rallies with different instructors so you can get a feel for who you like and who you don't. Instructors usually advertise in tack shops/local free mags although I tend to find the good ones don't need to ! (unless they're just starting out)

serena2005

Visit site
no i dont belong to a RC, its just a liverly yard im on so the only instructors are the extreamly expensive one, and someone else has a really rubbish one!

good i idea going to th e tack shop today will see if any instrctors are advertising.

galaxy

Visit site
Look on the BHS website and go onto the BHS register of intructors. They all have insurance. Then ring around, you'll find that some aren't too expensive especially those just starting out and need to biuld up a client base.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I'm teaching quite a lot at the new place, if you were interested you could ask your YO if I showed her my own insurance policy if that would be ok (I don't see why it shouldn't, that's how most freelancers work). She could just be trying to force you into having lessons with her though. Oh, and I'm not as expensive as she is!

serena2005

Visit site
oh no the YO doesnt teach herself. all the instructors that come in to teach are freelance. sorry thats what i mean my freelance instructors insurance has expired.

katiekate

Visit site
Hi there

I assume you mean his Register of Instructors listing has run out for the year? You can find a new instructor by going on the BHS website and looking at the register of instructors. I'm on there and it means my clients can all see that I'm insured to teach anywhere.

Your Yard Owner is right - their insurance wouldn't cover an instructor as if it did, they'd have to change their license to be a 'riding school' rather than a livery yard.

Good luck! Where abouts are you? I might be able to recommend someone.

teapot

Visit site
An old instructor of mine who now freelances was going to charge me £20 odd but that was mates rates.

Go by word of mouth, not just who's on the register as just because they've got the certificates doesn't mean they're any good

katiekate

Visit site
It is best to go by word of mouth, but do check they're insured. The good thing about the register is that you know they're insured and you're protected. You also know they're qualified in first aid etc which is important. Much as I dislike the BHS and would prefer not to give them any money given the amount they've had out of me over the years, my register of instructors fee is something I would never be late on paying!