Finding a sharer for a very green horse or just a tough winter?

I.Camilla

Visit site
My 5yo conny was backed as a 4yo (not much handling till this point) and has proven hard work when I purchased him a few days after being rebacked as a 5yo.

I adore him and all though I was expecting a very green horse, I wasn't aware how sensitive he was going to be. I am in my last year at university and I was hoping to still keep him living out as I am only there 3 days a week, then home to ride for the other 4. But with the days off, he is just too fresh. He is all vet checked and okay, but very sensitive in his back. I long reined him and rode after a few days off, but we were off rodeo style the second I got on and chucked off after a failed attempt to jump the electric fence. Thank god he doesn't scare me or I wouldn’t have got back on, I lunged him some more and got back on with some on ground help and he was okay... But obviously how an earth would I find a sharer I can trust to ride him whilst I'm at university?

I wouldn't charge them, but it would just be maybe 2 of the days and then I ride 4 so he is ridden 6 days a week. I am thinking of all the riders I know and don't think I could bring myself to let someone else ride him when not everyone would persist to correct him when he has his moments.

My other option is to bankrupt myself and take him uni on the DIY livery. But the turn out is with a lot of geldings and he is a b*gger to catch. I don't know how he will settle and my fields have been set out so if he is having a temperamental day, I can get help and section smaller parts off to catch him.

Last options is if I can't offer enough work for him to keep him happy, selling. But all though he doesn't scare me, his not exactly what everyone would be looking for I could imagine and I know he will be fine come next summer when I can move him home onto a yard I know and trust, along with being able to ride him everyday.

Any advice will be fab. Right now my emergency plan is always having my partner on the ground to help and lunging each time before I get on, but I obviously want what's best for him as his not a bad horse, just green and needing a firm hand with clear understanding at the moment.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd be tempted to just turn him away. I would also look for another cause for his behavior. From what you describe, it sounds like its not just cos he's had a few days off. Even free, I wouldn't want to improve someone's horse for free all winter, just for them to take over in summer.

be positive

Visit site
I would probably also turn away, the person you would require to do a good job with riding him would expect paying, not many would ride him for nothing.
Getting him looked at by a physio or similar would also be a good idea, sensitive back reads sore to me, even if the vet says otherwise.

I.Camilla

Visit site
I'd be tempted to just turn him away. I would also look for another cause for his behavior. From what you describe, it sounds like its not just cos he's had a few days off. Even free, I wouldn't want to improve someone's horse for free all winter, just for them to take over in summer.

I wouldn't say his behaviour has rung any alarm bells really. A few horses at the yard at home have been very fresh and given their riders a few unexpected dismounts this month. I can think of plenty of youngsters I grew up and seeing my mum back to throw in the odd 'you can dream on if you think I'm doing this today' attitude.

northernsoul

Visit site
you have really answeared this yourself issues with another person riding him and winter coming on and uni ,you may be beeter turning away not worrying so much in effect you are looking for someone to loan him bring him on etc and look after him over winter -you can always try but turning away maybe better option

I.Camilla

Visit site
He could do with the work though to keep the weight off over the winter, not to mention his had plenty of time spent doing nothing in a field all his life. I just feel the work is needed even if it is only 4 days a week? I don't think I'd find a sharer to be honest, but the DIY livery is an option as I do have a house near university that I stay in for the 2 nights I'm away.

But obviously the turn out could be problematic and the yard is rather busy.

Littlelegs

Visit site
A connie that goes off rodeo style as soon as you mount isn't normal youngster behavior imo. I'd want to look into whether it had a physical or mental cause before assuming it to be just being fresh.
Would paying a rider be a cheaper option than diy at uni?

I.Camilla

Visit site
A connie that goes off rodeo style as soon as you mount isn't normal youngster behavior imo. I'd want to look into whether it had a physical or mental cause before assuming it to be just being fresh.
Would paying a rider be a cheaper option than diy at uni?

I had a lady out when I first got him like I always would rebacking a horse... She never once felt the need to get on, I did it all myself with help on the ground. The behaviour was out of the blue, his never even bucked before, so my first thought was to get the vet out. But after lunging him, letting him settle and getting back on to find him fine to be ridden, I put those thoughts to one side. If he had done it again and again and it became dangerous to ride with an apparent issue, then I’d of had the vet and physio out like a shot.

leanne_d_

New User
Visit site
hi im new to the forum but read this and i too wouldnt be rushing to try and diagnose something thats probably not there. I back several horses a year of different backgrounds. to be honest horses are not machines, i have indeed also had the odd youngster have a woopy about something and do something totally out the blue that is dangerous, then never have ti again. backing my youngster at the moment, been a donkey. 3 days ago she reared bolt up right, I slid off the back and she bronked round the menage like a mad hatter. Next day? donkey. I find more in the unhandled then backed youngsters that they can throw a paddy more. But go with what is safe, wear a body protector and hat and do lunge followed by someone walking with you until you feel all is okay. If it does persist or anything worries you, get help and the physio out, but for now play it by ear. i would stick with the riding around uni and if that fails, you could always try the DIY and make sure the living out terms are still available if it doesnt work out. I find it funny that unless your horse (especially a rebacked youngster) goes like a machine SOMETHING IS WRONG AND WE MUST WASTE MONEY DIAGNOSINS NOTHING... no, its the first time its happened and you got back on fine after. just see how it goes.

Last edited:

I.Camilla

Visit site
hi im new to the forum but read this and i too wouldnt be rushing to try and diagnose something thats probably not there. I back several horses a year of different backgrounds. to be honest horses are not machines, i have indeed also had the odd youngster have a woopy about something and do something totally out the blue that is dangerous, then never have ti again. backing my youngster at the moment, been a donkey. 3 days ago she reared bolt up right, I slid off the back and she bronked round the menage like a mad hatter. Next day? donkey. I find more in the unhandled then backed youngsters that they can throw a paddy more. But go with what is safe, wear a body protector and hat and do lunge followed by someone walking with you until you feel all is okay. If it does persist or anything worries you, get help and the physio out, but for now play it by ear. i would stick with the riding around uni and if that fails, you could always try the DIY and make sure the living out terms are still available if it doesnt work out. I find it funny that unless your horse (especially a rebacked youngster) goes like a machine SOMETHING IS WRONG AND WE MUST WASTE MONEY DIAGNOSINS NOTHING... no, its the first time its happened and you got back on fine after. just see how it goes.

I do agree with some of this... But I understand more what littlelegs is saying. Okay he has only done it once, but sometimes it only takes one freak accident to permanently ruin a horse or even put me at a high risk of danger and if it was something wrong with him, I could prevent a bad situation occurring.

I am very confused as to why it happened, but my mum who I trust totally on help with the horses, didn't seem too alarmed taking in his background, age and temperament. But I am playing it very carefully.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
OP I'd stick with your plan to lunge before you ride, so he can have his silly moments on the lunge. I wouldn't loan a horse like this because I'd feel responsible if they fell off and injured themselves, even if I'd pre-warned them about the problem behavior. I find the autumn rush of grass growth can have a similar effect to the spring time new grass. As your horse is overweight, he's obviously eating more calories than he needs. A sharp horse + days off + excess energy, could easily cause a minor explosion.

I.Camilla

Visit site
OP I'd stick with your plan to lunge before you ride, so he can have his silly moments on the lunge. I wouldn't loan a horse like this because I'd feel responsible if they fell off and injured themselves, even if I'd pre-warned them about the problem behavior. I find the autumn rush of grass growth can have a similar effect to the spring time new grass. As your horse is overweight, he's obviously eating more calories than he needs. A sharp horse + days off + excess energy, could easily cause a minor explosion.

Thanks, I will for sure keep a close eye if I think he needs any further vets out or physio. But I will see how the lunging goes for now. You're right about a sharer. Until yesterday, his been an angel to ride, it's the groundwork that's been hard, but his now fab on the ground. If he'd of warned me on the ground yesterday maybe I'd of been more prepared.

But god, thinking about it, if he did that with someone just wanting to enjoy a ride i'd be beside myself. Is it worth putting him on magnesium over the winter?

Littlelegs

Visit site
I was actually thinking more along the lines that if its out of character & he's done little that perhaps its something about mounting, the saddle etc than physical as a starting point.
Other option perhaps is finding a decent rider to work him on a favour basis? Eg if you can offer them transport locally to comps/rc on their horse, or cheap livery if its your land etc?

I.Camilla

Visit site
I was actually thinking more along the lines that if its out of character & he's done little that perhaps its something about mounting, the saddle etc than physical as a starting point.
Other option perhaps is finding a decent rider to work him on a favour basis? Eg if you can offer them transport locally to comps/rc on their horse, or cheap livery if its your land etc?

I could think of people to ride him if he was at home, but don't know anyone where he is kept now. The lady that helped reback him though would probably be happy to ride him if I paid by the hour which is fine, as it's her job. But I feel very uptight about not being there whilst he is ridden? She could always just long rein him though and do groundwork until I am confident in what the cause was and things are back to normal.

kc100

Visit site
I'd pay an experienced rider to come and ride your horse, that will be much cheaper than moving him to your Uni yard and will be much less hassle. If you find a rider who is experienced with young horses and has their own rider insurance, you shouldnt feel too uncomfortable if you are not there.

I know it is difficult to let go but in your case paying for someone to ride is much cheaper than moving yards, and is a much better idea than getting a sharer as it is not fair on a sharer to deal with a horse like this. I am a sharer myself and there is no way I would want to be left alone with a difficult horse like this, I have been riding 18 years but still wouldnt fancy taking that on! Most sharers tend to come straight out of riding schools and are not vastly experienced with anything more than a cheeky pony at the riding school, so a green horse like yours would be too much to handle.

If you do go for a rider (loads of them advertise online, on all the usual horsey sites) then as long as you have made them fully aware of the horse's behaviour and they accept that before taking on the job, then you should be ok. You might worry at first when you are not there, but as time goes on your worries will ease.