finding the brave pants

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Doing a HT at the weekend - at a venue we have been to many times but most of the jumps on 'our' course are new.

Isnt there always one jump that scares the pants off you? Mine is the no 3 and my wee horse has jumped it before (just once). Its in a field which isnt open for XC schooling so this will be only the second time we have jumped it. Its not late on enough in the course for her to have got her jumping blood up .....

Whats bugging me is that since we last jumped it in mid July my mare has learned to refuse jumps. All of a sudden she will put in a dirty stop. I could jump round a course of showjumps 5x and she will refuse one that she jumped the last time round - total whim.

I really have no idea how I am going to cope with this on the XC course. I know I need to be brave and not show her the fear, but if she stops I could go over the top, as I have already on 3 of her newly found dirty stop habits.
If I take it carefully and cautiously she will think there's something wrong and could refuse through me not giving her enough confidence....

What do you think folks? How should I ride it? xx

Cazzah

Visit site
Sit up, heels down, kick on ..... and a slap down the shoulder if she's faltering. Try not to over-analyse - she has no idea it's your bogey fence!

Bernster

Visit site
Yep, what Cazzah says! Sounds like you are getting yourself into a tizz and overthinking it - she won't know and if you ride it positively, that will put you in the best position to jump it nicely. Don't look at it, look over and think about getting to no4 instead.

If you have time, try to copy the type of fence at home if you can, depending on what kind of fence it is.

I'm a shocker for doing exactly what you're doing by the way, so I can sympathise!

JustMe22

Visit site
When I get nervous to a jump (there's a big orange and black oxer with drums that my instructor particularly loves and which I've fallen off at a few times!) I try to focus on anything other than the actual jumping part.

I know my horse needs me to have my leg on and my hands up so I think of that as I start the approach. And then I just count strides quietly and continually to make sure my rhythm stays the same. That's all!

It isn't foolproof but it certainly helps me not to do anything stupid like drop him in front of the fence or have a panic moment and start kicking wildly three strides away and changing the rhythm.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
It's not brave pants that you need it's control of the shoulders and forward momentum so she doesn't stop or nap. Short reins, hands by withers, whip in the right hand, look where you are going and kick on.
The fence won't be an issue if you keep the control and power.
Good luck
Good

Bernster

Visit site
When I get nervous to a jump (there's a big orange and black oxer with drums that my instructor particularly loves and which I've fallen off at a few times!) I try to focus on anything other than the actual jumping part.

I know my horse needs me to have my leg on and my hands up so I think of that as I start the approach. And then I just count strides quietly and continually to make sure my rhythm stays the same. That's all!

It isn't foolproof but it certainly helps me not to do anything stupid like drop him in front of the fence or have a panic moment and start kicking wildly three strides away and changing the rhythm.

Goodness! I could have written that, I have exactly the same issues.

tatty_v

Visit site
I completely sympathise. As I understand it (and I've never quite managed it!) it's about trying not to react and just ride it like you would a normal fence. Easier said than done!

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
It's not brave pants that you need it's control of the shoulders and forward momentum so she doesn't stop or nap. Short reins, hands by withers, whip in the right hand, look where you are going and kick on.
The fence won't be an issue if you keep the control and power.
Good luck
Good

Just the business - you know me well! She got a whack for refusing tonight so I feel a bit back in control. The mantra is now
Short reins
Hands by withers
Whip in the right
Look onwards
Kick on

Thankyou - I'll keep you posted xx

Mule

Visit site
If there's a fence I'm feeling dodgy about I get the horse taking me forward to the fence prior to it so if we lose impulsion coming into the dodgy fence we have enough momentum to keep going.

I will give a slap on the shoulder coming into the dodgy fence so he knows that despite my nerves I intend for us to jump it.

Also, defensive position, short reins and squeeze with your legs for the last few strides. Also make sure you are looking up and over the fence on approach. No looking down!

Last edited:

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Thankyou everyone these replies were just so helpful.
Having been stressed to hell about this all week I walked the course on Friday. Yes the scary jump was still scary but I quickly realised no bigger than any of the others. just a bit more frightening. So resolved to stick to the plan - and add a new one which was to bully OH into attending and stick him right by this fence for moral support.
After this I felt strangely calm, which continued into the next day and although OH was reasonably easily bullied ;) he stationed himself a fair way from the fence but I still clocked him as I turned towards it. And over it she went, and the next two scarey fences too, fast and clear. Can you believe we ended up in 2nd place? Many thanks indeed xxx