Fine one minute, lazy and stubborn the next!! Waaah! HELP

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Thats about it!
I bought my 7yo dutch mare about 7 weeks ago and all was going well. She'd jumped 1.10's as a 5yo in holland and has since evented and pony clubbed. We were jumping all sorts and one day she started stopping at this one fence, we got her over it evenually. Since then she's got worse, sometimes, however she's fine and does it without question. We took her to a show today and entered he 2f6. She went beautifully in the warm up and when we went into the ring, it took a good old booting to get her round... i dont like doing that.
So I take her in the clear round, took a bit of a battle to get her even trotting but she did everything.

So I enter the 2ft6 again HC, take her back in the warm up and she went so well, strangers actually commented on it!!!

Go back in the ring, no way! Just going to come slowly to a stop and refuse to move, no matter what. Leg, stick, voice, placed her perfectly. Not gonna happen. So eliminated at the first fence, tried to take her over another one and i couldnt even get her to move, no amout of anything, nice or not seems to work.

Took her back in the clear round and i couldnt do it, got off sobbing and let mum have a go. Eventually she stepped over a cross pole but she was being so obstinate and ignoring everything other than breaks.

I honestly dont know what has gone wrong, but she's gone from willing and lovely to stubborn and lazy, she isnt in any pain, tack fits etc.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif

Roody2

Visit site
Its difficult if its your first show as you don't know if its just her trying it on with you as it is your first time out together.
The other option is that it is something she has done previously but you weren't told about it when you bought her.
Is she a particularly seasonal mare - some mares play up at certain times of the month and are perfect the rest of the time.

I think you should try a couple more outings to see if it gets better, worse or stays the same before you can think about what to really do about it.

It sounds like today you did all you could to get her round so just stay positive, don't let this one outing get to you, give it a few more goes and you might find it starts coming together.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Thanks, thats the funny thing. We havent seen any signs of her coming into season yet. Her bad days or moments dont have that sort of pattern either, it will change from day to day. She is also on a supplement for hormonal mares as we thought that too, butit seems to be doing nothing.

We did have one thought, and that was that could she possibly be pregnant? Could she be feeling rough becasue of that? Or isnt that likely?

Thanks for your help!!!
xx

Roody2

Visit site
What makes you think she could be pregnant? If she is then she certainly wouldn't want to play at jumping or much else!!

If she hasn;t come into season yet she may have some sort of hormonal imbalance (or she might be pregnant), or there could be something physical impeding her cycle. Did you get much info about her medical/seasonal/behavioural history when you bought her?

As the owner of a VERY hormonal mare I have found that at various stages of her cycle she can be quite clingy with other horses and not want to leave a group - this could be something your mare experiences and part of the reason for her shutting down when she goes in the ring on her own away from the warm-up ring were the other horses are.

Roody2

Visit site
Also, how much have you jumped her at home - if it is any more than once or twice a week she may just be getting a bit p'd off with it.
It may be that she needs a change from showjumping for a couple of weeks - try hacking or just flat schooling.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
well, she has put on weight since we got her, I just put it down to spring grass. We had a 5 stage vetting when we bought her and the previous owners said she wasnt mareish. She was at quite a big yard and I wonder if she somehow found herself with a stallion haha. I dont jump her more than twice a week tops and she gets 1 or 2 days off a week, hacks and schools. I will try riding her less and not jumping for a couple of weeks. Wondered if its also too much grass and she's feeling fat and lethargic, although i would have thought it would have gone down during the hour journey to the show ground. hmm...

Roody2

Visit site
If you have a serious concern that she is pregnant then you should get the vet out to check her and give her a scan - it doesn't cost too much for the scan. It would be awful to find out too late that she was in foal and you had been riding her.

Other than that she may just have been having a bad day. Don't label her a refuser just yet, give her a couple of weeks not jumping then maybe take her to an evening clear round so there is no pressure. It was hot today so maybe it all just got to her a bit.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Yes, I think i will give her a week or so off jumping, then take her to another little oner next weekend?!? See if there's a difference. As far as a pregnancy is concerned is there anything i should look out for other than her puting on weight?

Roody2

Visit site
For pregnancy the signs you can look out for are:
enlarged stomach area
enlarged udders/teats
no seasons
excess sweating when exercising / sweating up very quickly.
the mare looking at her stomach area

Unless she is carrying a very small foal it should be quite apparent from about 9 months that the mare is in foal - the tummy area will be much bigger than it should be in comparison to the rest of the body (unless she is a real porker!!). Google images of pregnant mares - there should be a website out there that will give you some more advice.

Try to get your next show a bit closer to home if you can so she doesn't spend too long travelling.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Thanks,
I was planning on going to yateley next wkend, its still about 40mins away but its so nice and relaxed I thought it would do us both good.
She did sweat up oday, but I cant decide whether it was just the heat and work or something else. She does seem to tire quickly aswell sometimes, any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help guys!!! xx

Roody2

Visit site
If you have access to a lorry and can drive to your vets then take her down for a scan if you are really think she could be pregnant. The scans are normally only about £40 to £50 so its not a massive expense for your peace of mind and your horses wellbeing.
Ultimaltely its up to you, all we can do on the forum is offer advice based on our knowledge and previous experiences - you know your horse so if you are concerned the only person who can actually tell you for sure if she is pregnant is your vet!!