Fingers crossed for our old girl please.

mattilda

Visit site
:( My old mare Sophie came in with colic tonight. Vet has been and given her Buscopan and a massive pain killer. She brightened up for a while but is now lying down again. She seems bright in herself and gets up when I go to check on her but it's not looking great is it? Vet said she may get down again so I'll give her a bit longer before I call the vet again. She is 28 and I have no intention of putting her through surgery so am scared it may be the end for her. Please cross all your digits for her. J x

MissJael

Visit site
Fingers and toes crossed from someone who has had a hellish week where animals are concerned. Hoping she pulls through for you.

JingleTingle

Visit site
Everything crossed - lost my old timer (well had to be PTS as the pain and discomfort where too much for him)back in May so I know just what you are going through.

Was it frosty where you are this morning? Just asking because one of my mares was a bit gassy/mildly colicky the other morning after eating frosted grass in the early hours. In her case it soon passed - hope it is the same for your old lady.:(

misst

Visit site
Fingers crossed for her. Our 27yo is lame for the first time in years so farrier tomorrow - the oldies are such a worry.:( I hope she picks up for you.

ISHmad

Visit site
Such a worry when they are ill like this. Sending you lots of good vibes and hope that Sophie rallies round.

packwood

Visit site
My boy aged 25 had this two weeks ago and as he lay on his side groaning I really thought it was the end. However, I am pleased to report he has made a full recovery and is as bright as a button now. I really, really hope that you have the same outcome as we did. Fingers crossed for you.x

mattilda

Visit site
Think it's going to be a long night!! Callled the vet out again as she was flat out and in obvious pain. I was in tears as I thought we had come to the end of the road. As the vet arrived she got up and...stayed up!! Heart rate is normal and she started to make some stomach sounds although still uncomfortable. So our choice was call it a day and pts or give her a sedative to make her comfortable and give us some time to see if she improves.
So she has had the sedative....watch this space and please keep everything crossed.
Talk about timing!!

ladyt25

Visit site
Hope all goes well - she sounds like she may be improving, so fingers crossed. If it's any help our old donkey did this twice and each time we really thought it was the end - I have never seen an animal doing the "I am going die" act like he did. It was very scary but both times although we needed a vet, and copious amounts of liquid paraffin poured down his throat, he made a full recovery and went on for many years afterwards.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you and your mare. Have you tried liquid Coligone, my lad colics occasionally with gaseous, don't know what type your mare has, and it works a treat.
Hope she is okay, please keep us informed.
FDC

Dancing Queen

Visit site
keep positive - I know its hard, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

My old mare was in a similar state, the vet came out 4 times and in the end she pumped her stomach with liquid parrafin (im pretty sure it was) and she was ok in the end. a couple of days later she was galloping around like nothing had ever happened. Keep positive xxx

BIG HUGS XX

Rose Folly

Visit site
Thinking of you as we lost two to this in recent years. But will keep you and your mare in my thoughts and prayers tonight. Be strong for her - hope your vet will guide you wisely! Let us know how things go.