Finn's started weaving!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Since moving him to the main yard. Not just a little sway but full on side-to-side swing. Caugt him in the act this morning, whilst getting his friend ready to go out.

Girl in stale next door said "oh yeah, he's been like that for ages". Right......

So, What do you think? Weave bars for Mr McCoul? Will it stop him or do you think he'll tranfer the habit to something else.

It's basically in anticipation of going out. I got there at 7am today, so he's not waiting in for hours.

He's 16 BTW and I suspect this is a habit that's been laying dormant rather than totally newly acquired.

HBII

Visit site
My friend hung a rope with a ball on the end either side of her horses weave area, if he went to weave the balls were in the way! Mind you I dont think she had weave bars.

Hb

Heidi1

Visit site
Have weaving bars up for two of mine, one ex racer weaved terrible when she first came, but has settled, other one only weaves when it's going out time and feeding time, so try and get her done first. One of the other horses on our yard weaves at his wall, it's horrid to watch and the owner will not do anything about it......

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Yep I'd go with weave bars. Stable mirror might help too, my girls not bothered when any one goes out as she is too busy staring at herself - Bless (mind you she has never weaved, so might not help). There was a tread a few week ago on how to make a stable mirror really cheaply with a sheet of ply wood and a roll of mirrored sticky back plastic, so might be worth a try.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Is there no way you can turnout more? That would fix the actual problem!

You do need to nip it in the bud though. I know someone who's horse would full on move from side to side (twisting on his legs) which eventually did damage and the horse had to be put down. He did it really badly though, but I would be mortified if mine started doing it!

Safina

Visit site
escch, who is going out before you? Is is still in Dylans old box next to B & J? I can't see either of them going out before you.

Would a turnip/swede in his morning feed keep him occupied from when they are fed until you get there? 7am is hardly late.

Twiglet

Visit site
Hanging a turnip down the middle of the door sometimes helps as it blocks the weaving path and means they get a knock on the head! Also some people use lemonade bottles etc filled with water to do the same job but I know my boy would probably make it his mission to burst it knowing him, so Finn may feel the same!

A weaving grid works great on the weaver at our yard, he doesn't think about doing it with the grid up, and it seems to make him much happier.

Other than that, Zig loves his treat ball which stops him getting bored whilst waiting to go out, how about something like that chucked over with his brekkie?

Hope you get it sorted mate!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Thats exactly the same as our old horse, we had weave bars up at her door but she just stood behind them and weaved instead.

She even got the to point of weaving when tied up on the yard.

foraday

Visit site
Would try and treat the cause first-weaving is your horses way of dealing with his stress (whether real or imagined).

Coming from essex am sure you read essex rider so you will know of Lewis Blackburn and what he can do to help.

http://www.blackburnnaturalhorsetraining.com/

Weaving bars will deal with the weaving but if your horses stress is too much for him he will develop another stress relief.

Agree 7am is not late in our eyes but at what time the night before did you see to you horse or YO checks? Horses build up stress overnight and need to release it-how about a play in the menage at liberty before going out in the field?

Agree mirrors, playtoys, tyres, cones, extra hay etc will help but find the cause and you will be able to treat it cheaper than buying a whole range of stuff.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Thanks for replies guys!

Saf - He is in Dillions old stable. This morning none of the others on main yard had gone out before I got there!

At the moment he goes out around 7am and comes in at 3pm. Then I go and ride and put him to bed around 7.30pm. So he's only usually in bed for 12 hours.

I think it's stress about going out and I think over the past few weeks this has become a habit. Last time I saw him doing it he was swaying gently, but has definately progressed.

I don't normally see him doing it as he stops when I go to get him out.

I think I will leave some of his nuts in his snack ball for brekkie (he gets fed around 6am) as he doesn't do it if he has food, and perhaps put hay out for him too.

Will cosider anti weave grill - but as many people have said, am worried as this won't actually fix the stress
frown.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I wouldn't go down the anti weave grill, just don't like them.
What I found was if I tied a haynet up outside my boys window (he stood and swayed!) he would for some reason not do it, he would nibble the hay and it seemed to keep him occupied (despite the fact that he always ahd lots of food otherwise!)