Fiona's jumping exercise

SillyMare

Visit site
As promised (ages ago) I had a go at Fiona's jumping exercise with Lexi this morning.

Exercise is 3 fences 48 feet apart (3 strides). We built it with 3 uprights - the first one about 90cm and the second two about 1m.

Lexi is a 5 year-old 16hh TB who loves silly jumping exercises (her speciality). I promised to have a go at the exercise in question to see if she could cope.

Lexi is quite short striding - in order to get through on 3 then 3 strides she really needs to welly on and has to stand miles off the last part.

She is most comfortable on 4 and then 4 or 3 and then 4.

The shortest I could get her was 5 and then 6.

The biggest variation I could manage was 4 and then 6 or 6 and then 4.

We didn't persist at it for too long though because she is half-way between events. Think I could have had 6 and then 6 with a bit more effort - if we had gone for 7 I don't think we would have made it.

Interesting though - a useful little experiment.

Fiona

Visit site
Wow!!! to be able to shorten from 4 to 6, or lengthen from 6 to 4.
Well if this exercise is an indicator to the quality of your canter, and the more you can lengthen or shorten in the same line the better.
You get FIRST prize and a red rosette.

Sophie would do 3 and 3, or 4 and 4, but not 3/4 (well only once) or 4/3.
Methinks I will be working on this over the winter with her. LOTS!!

FIona

MiffyH

Visit site
Sounds like a good exercise... my little horse is still learning, so I may have to try this at some point. Will update you if I manage to pull it off!

SillyMare

Visit site
She is a good girl - this sort of exercise is her speciality! She is very clever with her feet and good at shortening - lengthening is not so hot.

She has quite a short stride which means that by part 3 of a treble (where they often put a big oxer in Novice classes) she has to stand off miles and makes it too much to clear the back rail.

Hope to go up to Novice next year though so we need to get working on the lengthening exercises!

tigers_eye

Visit site
I did see a couple put in 2 and 3, but they need to be bloody scopey to get away with it and not come down on the final oxer. Also 2 nasty falls in the 1 stride double which was upright to oxer and long too. He builds at that distance indoors at west wilts too, i remember from when i used to go there
shocked.gif

siennamum

Visit site
I find that we jump his courses outdoors ok, though they are always a bit scary, but indoors we can get in a real mess, Sienna simply doesn't make the distances. he also loves big oxers off a corner which have caught us out once or twice.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Yes he's usually SW. Does a lot of the events too. Funny, cos Paul (can't remember surname) who builds at Exeter EC also does longish distances, esp on relateds. I used to find they rode fine once they were 110 +, but if in the BN you had to kick quite hard - not great on an ex-racer who took any excuse to flatten!